1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTF is going on with the ARMY??!

Discussion in 'Military' started by OCTaco, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    OCTaco

OCTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    I just finished reading this article. Man we have a bunch of pantsys running around. No kidding terrorist's think they can get away with their shit.

Army changes basic training to deal with gamer generation

by Ben Silverman

Buzz up!
    March 25 12:56 P.M.
    [​IMG] Real war and virtual war just got closer.

Basic training is about to get more advanced. And recruits can thank games for that.
    In an interview with Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling, NPR reports that the U.S. Army is altering its basic training program for the first time in 20 years, in part to better train recruits weaned on video games.
    "This isn't a decline in our recruits; this is a decline in our American society in terms of their physical capacity," Hertling told NPR. "It's just a softer generation."
    Hertling goes on to explain that while new soliders are "advanced in terms of their use of technology," they're perhaps "not as advanced in their physical capabilities or ability to go into a fight. So we're taking that into consideration as well in doing this holistic review of how we do training."
    So what's in store for new recruits? Hertling says the new basic training regimen will focus more on teaching recruits essential combat skills, from the use of "weapons, knives, bayonets, [and] sticks" to hand-to-hand techniques like punching, kicking, and martial arts. His aim is to better prepare them for the potentially grueling physical experience of serving in unfriendly environments.
    That includes an added emphasis on discipline, which Hertling contends just isn't what it used to be.
    "We certainly have a generation that is not as disciplined when they enter the military," he said, adding that while the new generation has "what they believe is a form of courage or discipline, it's not what we expect of a soldier in very tense and difficult situations."
    The news comes just weeks after the Pentagon announced plans to fund new research into using games to train soldiers. The Army in particular has had a healthy working relationship with the games industry; its freely-distributed first-person shooter America's Army has enjoyed great success as a recruitment tool.
    While Hertling isn’t enamored with their physical prowess, he believes new soldiers with a background in games do offer one distinct advantage.
    "They're different. They have a technology edge. I think they're smarter than any generation we've ever had before," he said. "They certainly ask a lot more difficult questions."

2. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:54 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Yup...they're fat.

3. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:01 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    So the ability to play a video game means they are going to be better at fighting a war?

4. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:17 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Exactly what I was thinking! How is this going to prepare them for the stressful situations of war, and the main objective of taking out the enemy?

And who cares if they aren't disciplined how they think they should be, discipline them in training. And they should stop with being PC during training, and train like they did back in the day.

5. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:20 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I think is so fucking stupid. Essentially, what we are reading here is: Our soldiers are no longer as talented as they used to be, primarily because they play lots of video games and are physically innactive. We are, therefore, going to lower our standards and sacrifice our soldier quality output.

6. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
  7. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    X2 :eek:

8. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:43 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Thank God for Specwar/SOF

9. Mar 26, 2010 at 12:11 AM
    Shawneily

Shawneily "Its go time, baby!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    95 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 2.7L
    CBI Rock Sliders, 31x10.15 BF Goodrich KM2's, Stock everything else.
    lol...wtf....a softer generation? I dont know where they got that from.. Im pretty sure I would rather kick some ass than play some games during war...

10. Mar 26, 2010 at 12:16 AM
    BakoTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Take a road trip to some of the city's here in California. A lot of gay Emo kids running around, wearing tight jeans, and gay hair cuts.

11. Mar 26, 2010 at 12:20 AM
    Shawneily

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    You mean their little sisters jeans.. We have them here too.. so annoying...

12. Mar 26, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    BakoTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I'm not sure what they're called, but they are like two sizes too small. I'm not sure how the hell they walk around, very gay.

13. Mar 26, 2010 at 12:59 AM
    Shawneily

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    This creature you speak of has recessed their nuts so far into their body they have vanished.. Only gay emo's can do this.. but beware.. these ugly creatures are sometimes very dangerous and may conceal razor blades to slash their wrists and spray blood on you... very nasty things.

14. Mar 26, 2010 at 2:39 AM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    :devil:

15. Mar 26, 2010 at 3:03 AM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    millitary training has to get softer and kinder. the reason for this as said above is because society as a whole has gotten softer over the years. look at all the fat lazy kids out there. people just let their kids waste away in front of video games and televisions. it all starts when they are infants, parents overload them with videos of barney and sesame street, just to keep them out of their hair.so the kids get used to it real early in life.
    i sadly am no exception to this. my kids, 13&5 years old, are the same way. i have to force them to go outside or to do pretty much anything. because they are so glued to the tv and games.
    sorry about the rant but this is why the millitary as a whole is going to have to be "kind and gentle" to the newer generations of recruits if they actually want to have a force in the future.

16. Mar 26, 2010 at 3:13 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    It's kind of true - this IS a "softer" generation. I mean, he probably can't go on record as saying "fat and lazy."

How do you punish kids today? Take away their cell phone, or cut back their minutes, or some BS like that.

How did I get punished 15 years ago? No TV, no friends or going outside.

How did my parents get punished (40 years ago)? They got beat with a stick or a belt.

So, yeah, this generation isn't, as a whole, used to any physical hardship. Which is NO excuse on the Army to let up - in fact, they should increase their physical requirements, cuz America today is being ruined by the Boomers that are all PC and running corporations and governments.

God help us if today's soldiers are smarter. I deal with idiots all day long (from all branches).

17. Mar 26, 2010 at 3:27 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    Am I only the only person that read the statement where he mentioned they were going to alter basic training to teach the pansies how to beat some mother fuckers ass?

You've got kids who have never been in a fight and want to go to war. Get them in as many fights as possible in 8 weeks. Sounds like a plan.

And then there was a blurb about using a video game to exercise current soldiers. Since it's faster to reset a video game training event than an actual training event you can go through multiple iterations, leading for more training and the opportunity for better training on short notice. Which ultimately results in taking those learned skills to the field to develop muscle memory and practice in a real world environment?

What are y'all bitching about again?

18. Mar 26, 2010 at 3:29 AM
    rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    i definately agree with you that they should be harder on trainees.
    but at the same time they cant be that hard on them because the washout or drop out rate would go through the roof.when i went to basic training some 17 years ago i watched at least 5 people from my flight alone wasout of training. i can only imagine what the rate of washouts/dropouts is now a days

19. Mar 26, 2010 at 3:34 AM
    rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    im sorry you cannot learn how to fight from a video game. as technologically advanced of a society that we live in it still boils down to real world experience.
    just like a marine corps sniper cannot learn how to make that 1000 meter shot on a playstation.

20. Mar 26, 2010 at 3:40 AM
    SigSense

SigSense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4

Products Discussed in

To Top