Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

WTF is going on with the ARMY??!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
WTF is going on with the ARMY??!

I just finished reading this article. Man we have a bunch of pantsys running around. No kidding terrorist's think they can get away with their shit.

Army changes basic training to deal with gamer generation

by Ben Silverman

Buzz up!
March 25 12:56 P.M.
Real war and virtual war just got closer.

Basic training is about to get more advanced. And recruits can thank games for that.
In an interview with Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling, NPR reports that the U.S. Army is altering its basic training program for the first time in 20 years, in part to better train recruits weaned on video games.
"This isn't a decline in our recruits; this is a decline in our American society in terms of their physical capacity," Hertling told NPR. "It's just a softer generation."
Hertling goes on to explain that while new soliders are "advanced in terms of their use of technology," they're perhaps "not as advanced in their physical capabilities or ability to go into a fight. So we're taking that into consideration as well in doing this holistic review of how we do training."
So what's in store for new recruits? Hertling says the new basic training regimen will focus more on teaching recruits essential combat skills, from the use of "weapons, knives, bayonets, [and] sticks" to hand-to-hand techniques like punching, kicking, and martial arts. His aim is to better prepare them for the potentially grueling physical experience of serving in unfriendly environments.
That includes an added emphasis on discipline, which Hertling contends just isn't what it used to be.
"We certainly have a generation that is not as disciplined when they enter the military," he said, adding that while the new generation has "what they believe is a form of courage or discipline, it's not what we expect of a soldier in very tense and difficult situations."
The news comes just weeks after the Pentagon announced plans to fund new research into using games to train soldiers. The Army in particular has had a healthy working relationship with the games industry; its freely-distributed first-person shooter America's Army has enjoyed great success as a recruitment tool.
While Hertling isnít enamored with their physical prowess, he believes new soldiers with a background in games do offer one distinct advantage.
"They're different. They have a technology edge. I think they're smarter than any generation we've ever had before," he said. "They certainly ask a lot more difficult questions."
Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
So the ability to play a video game means they are going to be better at fighting a war?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanTRD View Post
So the ability to play a video game means they are going to be better at fighting a war?
Exactly what I was thinking! How is this going to prepare them for the stressful situations of war, and the main objective of taking out the enemy?

And who cares if they aren't disciplined how they think they should be, discipline them in training. And they should stop with being PC during training, and train like they did back in the day.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
I think is so fucking stupid. Essentially, what we are reading here is: Our soldiers are no longer as talented as they used to be, primarily because they play lots of video games and are physically innactive. We are, therefore, going to lower our standards and sacrifice our soldier quality output.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
I think is so fucking stupid. Essentially, what we are reading here is: Our soldiers are no longer as talented as they used to be, primarily because they play lots of video games and are physically innactive. We are, therefore, going to lower our standards and sacrifice our soldier quality output.
X2
Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Thank God for Specwar/SOF
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
"Its go time, baby!"
Shawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to behold

Name: Shawn
Shawneily's Tacoma Gallery
lol...wtf....a softer generation? I dont know where they got that from.. Im pretty sure I would rather kick some ass than play some games during war...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawneily View Post
lol...wtf....a softer generation? I dont know where they got that from.. Im pretty sure I would rather kick some ass than play some games during war...
Take a road trip to some of the city's here in California. A lot of gay Emo kids running around, wearing tight jeans, and gay hair cuts.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #11
"Its go time, baby!"
Shawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Take a road trip to some of the city's here in California. A lot of gay Emo kids running around, wearing tight jeans, and gay hair cuts.
You mean their little sisters jeans.. We have them here too.. so annoying...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #12

Quote:
You mean their little sisters jeans.. We have them here too.. so annoying...
I'm not sure what they're called, but they are like two sizes too small. I'm not sure how the hell they walk around, very gay.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 AM   #13
"Its go time, baby!"

This creature you speak of has recessed their nuts so far into their body they have vanished.. Only gay emo's can do this.. but beware.. these ugly creatures are sometimes very dangerous and may conceal razor blades to slash their wrists and spray blood on you... very nasty things.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #14
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This creature you speak of has recessed their nuts so far into their body they have vanished.. Only gay emo's can do this.. but beware.. these ugly creatures are sometimes very dangerous and may conceal razor blades to slash their wrists and spray blood on you... very nasty things.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:03 AM   #15
sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
rhodehard09's Tacoma Gallery
millitary training has to get softer and kinder. the reason for this as said above is because society as a whole has gotten softer over the years. look at all the fat lazy kids out there. people just let their kids waste away in front of video games and televisions. it all starts when they are infants, parents overload them with videos of barney and sesame street, just to keep them out of their hair.so the kids get used to it real early in life.
i sadly am no exception to this. my kids, 13&5 years old, are the same way. i have to force them to go outside or to do pretty much anything. because they are so glued to the tv and games.
sorry about the rant but this is why the millitary as a whole is going to have to be "kind and gentle" to the newer generations of recruits if they actually want to have a force in the future.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:13 AM   #16
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
It's kind of true - this IS a "softer" generation. I mean, he probably can't go on record as saying "fat and lazy."

How do you punish kids today? Take away their cell phone, or cut back their minutes, or some BS like that.

How did I get punished 15 years ago? No TV, no friends or going outside.

How did my parents get punished (40 years ago)? They got beat with a stick or a belt.

So, yeah, this generation isn't, as a whole, used to any physical hardship. Which is NO excuse on the Army to let up - in fact, they should increase their physical requirements, cuz America today is being ruined by the Boomers that are all PC and running corporations and governments.

God help us if today's soldiers are smarter. I deal with idiots all day long (from all branches).
Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 AM   #17
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
Am I only the only person that read the statement where he mentioned they were going to alter basic training to teach the pansies how to beat some mother fuckers ass?

You've got kids who have never been in a fight and want to go to war. Get them in as many fights as possible in 8 weeks. Sounds like a plan.

And then there was a blurb about using a video game to exercise current soldiers. Since it's faster to reset a video game training event than an actual training event you can go through multiple iterations, leading for more training and the opportunity for better training on short notice. Which ultimately results in taking those learned skills to the field to develop muscle memory and practice in a real world environment?

What are y'all bitching about again?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:29 AM   #18
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
It's kind of true - this IS a "softer" generation. I mean, he probably can't go on record as saying "fat and lazy."

How do you punish kids today? Take away their cell phone, or cut back their minutes, or some BS like that.

How did I get punished 15 years ago? No TV, no friends or going outside.

How did my parents get punished (40 years ago)? They got beat with a stick or a belt.

So, yeah, this generation isn't, as a whole, used to any physical hardship. Which is NO excuse on the Army to let up - in fact, they should increase their physical requirements, cuz America today is being ruined by the Boomers that are all PC and running corporations and governments.

God help us if today's soldiers are smarter. I deal with idiots all day long (from all branches).
i definately agree with you that they should be harder on trainees.
but at the same time they cant be that hard on them because the washout or drop out rate would go through the roof.when i went to basic training some 17 years ago i watched at least 5 people from my flight alone wasout of training. i can only imagine what the rate of washouts/dropouts is now a days
Old 03-26-2010, 03:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Am I only the only person that read the statement where he mentioned they were going to alter basic training to teach the pansies how to beat some mother fuckers ass?

You've got kids who have never been in a fight and want to go to war. Get them in as many fights as possible in 8 weeks. Sounds like a plan.

And then there was a blurb about using a video game to exercise current soldiers. Since it's faster to reset a video game training event than an actual training event you can go through multiple iterations, leading for more training and the opportunity for better training on short notice. Which ultimately results in taking those learned skills to the field to develop muscle memory and practice in a real world environment?

What are y'all bitching about again?
im sorry you cannot learn how to fight from a video game. as technologically advanced of a society that we live in it still boils down to real world experience.
just like a marine corps sniper cannot learn how to make that 1000 meter shot on a playstation.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 AM   #20
SigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: STS
SigSense's Tacoma Gallery