1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I have made the decision. any mp's here?

Discussion in 'Military' started by 04prerunner, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    04prerunner

04prerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    I am 22 and I will be enlising. However I am having the hardest time deciding which branch. Between army and navy. Both have their ups and downs from what i have read. but im sure that goes for all branches

I have always loved law enforcement, and I plan to be an MP in the army or MA in the navy.

Im leaning more towards an army MP. I am well aware of deployment and what not, but something in the back of my mind also says navy.

from what I have read, navy (master at arms) is over manned and is hard to move up. maybe im wrong. I also love the idea a being on a ship, however, I am also not looking forward to doing urine test or standing guard on ship for hours. but then again may be interesting.

as far as army, I love the idea of change everyday. and from what i hear an MP in the army will for sure see change.

well if anyone can give me some advice, it would really help me out. thank you to all

2. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    The End

The End Support our troops!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    I was a MA. It is over manned, they are actually making people cross rate or retire. You won't see a ship as a MA, you won't be doing urine test unless your E-5 or higher. I can answer any other questions, just ask.

3. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    The End

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    I can tell you also that an MA is a lot closer to an actual LEO than a MP is.

4. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    Justin723

Justin723 Dont judge me

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Performance- bored .20 over, Doug Thorely Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, and K&N cold air intake. Exterior- Trail Gear Solid Axle Swap, ARB compressor, high pinion 4.88 with ARB locker, 4.88 TRD Locker in the rear. Interior- 2 10inch JL W1 subs, Alpine MRX-V70 amp, Alpine type R SPR 17C 6x6 speaker in the back, Focal 165 VR with crossover tweeter up front, and Weather Tech floor mats.
    Im on Ft. Leonard Wood which is the place you'll go to train as an MP. There training is pretty hooah no doubt about it and theres opportunity to make rank fast, just gotta know what your doing. I know its not much help but if i was you which ever route you take enlist for the least amount of time as possible. It'll keep your windows open and you'll be able to control your carrer a little better then others.

5. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    doakes

doakes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Try contacting an Air Force Recruiter, the training is aligned with most state level LEO's.

6. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    04prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    thanks for the quick response bud. but new to this. what exactly do you mean leo?

7. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    04prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    thanks for the reponse. and I was actually thinking of enlisting for 2 or 3 years. I believe you can do a 2. correct me if im wrong. but like you said, I am very sure i will enjoy military. my family is all army, AF and navy. but i might do a 2 year just incase its not for me, I can get out. but I dont hink that will be the case

8. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    The End

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    Law enforcement officer.

9. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    04prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    from what I read, MP's have gone more infantry than actual law enforcment. which I do not mind.

and navy has gone more anti-terrorism than law enforcment

I know I will end up in either or but im having the hardest time making a decision

10. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    MP is the best MOS in the Army (but I'm a little bias). Pretty much my whole career I was Garrison and Physical Security. IMO I was lucky but the days of working the road in a white hat are pretty much over. Now most installations in CONUS have Civilians working the road and the gates.

Unless you just want to be an MP don't limit yourself to that MOS. Being an MP won't give you an edge over anyone else who has been in the military when applying for a job with a Police Department. Any Military service will hep you. And don't forget your civilian education while you are in. That will help you also.

11. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    tacomakid89

tacomakid89 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, King coilovers with remote resi in front, Kings with remote resi in rear, Deaver J66 leaf packs, TC UCAs up front.
    dude be a marine.

12. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    The End

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    This is true but I can tell you that I received all the training a Civilian LEO would get plus what the Navy added on to that. Tac Teams, tan belt, all the handcuffing, holds, takedowns, small arms training, blah blah, etc. etc.

On the plus side, MA's don't stand duty.

13. Apr 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    04prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    that definately helps with my possible navy decision. and when you say stand duty you mean standing gate for hours?

14. Apr 15, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    04prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    agreed. especially the education part. and when you say garrison is that an mp on base? meaning no deployment?

15. Apr 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    04prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    this is another thing im worried about. being over manned. Im afraid a recruiter will tell me MA is unavailable at this time. is that possible?

from what I have read, MA is the highest manned rate in the navy

16. Apr 15, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    Tactical Me

Tactical Me Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Severn, Md
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access Cab
    Allpro Offroad Bumper, TSB Leaf Springs, Toytec Ultimate Kit, Total Chaos UCA, Weathertech Digi-tech
    My buddy teaches an Army Guard MP school at Fort McClellan, AL (about 20 mins from my hometown). Army MPs are everywhere so choice of duty station is a big option most overlook. My job class only offers a handful of possible duty stations and is top heavy (hard to achieve senior promotion).

Two years in the military goes by in the blink of an eye, it really is no time at all. Consider that also when making your decision. And as far as guard duty is concerned, EVERYBODY IN THE MILITARY will pull guard duty at some time or another. It's a piece of cake. Good luck.

17. Apr 15, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    tacomakid89

tacomakid89 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, King coilovers with remote resi in front, Kings with remote resi in rear, Deaver J66 leaf packs, TC UCAs up front.
    just throwing this out there. you could do security forces in the marines. and then from there go into F.A.S.T. company and its like the swat team of the marine corps. I just got done with my two years in it and it was pretty tight. and then once you're done with that you go to infantry for 2 years. i got to travel to like 8 different countries and do a bunch of awesome training. PM me if youre interested.

18. Apr 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM
    oldsman71442

oldsman71442 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    oahu HI/ Redding CA
    Vehicle:
    10 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    ME in the Coast Guard. IF you are on a ledet team you will be taking on drug runners and doing some pretty exciting stuff. But thats my bias opinion as i am in the Coast guard.

19. Apr 16, 2010 at 12:13 AM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    x2

You can be an MP in the Marines, too...

But like others said, military background looks good for the record regardless what your MOS is...

Since you're looking into law enforcement someday, may I suggest infantry. You will play with guns and do patrols all day long, which really helps with the "combat mindset" of becoming a cop.

Infantry reserves is what I'm doing right now and going to school at the same time. Hoping to get into a Police Dept. in the near future.

REMEMBER: military background + college degree = DING DING DING

20. Apr 16, 2010 at 4:08 AM
    The End

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    There are no MA's in "Duty Section".