Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

I have made the decision. any mp's here?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: kyle
04prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have made the decision. any mp's here?

I am 22 and I will be enlising. However I am having the hardest time deciding which branch. Between army and navy. Both have their ups and downs from what i have read. but im sure that goes for all branches

I have always loved law enforcement, and I plan to be an MP in the army or MA in the navy.

Im leaning more towards an army MP. I am well aware of deployment and what not, but something in the back of my mind also says navy.

from what I have read, navy (master at arms) is over manned and is hard to move up. maybe im wrong. I also love the idea a being on a ship, however, I am also not looking forward to doing urine test or standing guard on ship for hours. but then again may be interesting.

as far as army, I love the idea of change everyday. and from what i hear an MP in the army will for sure see change.

well if anyone can give me some advice, it would really help me out. thank you to all
Old 04-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
I was a MA. It is over manned, they are actually making people cross rate or retire. You won't see a ship as a MA, you won't be doing urine test unless your E-5 or higher. I can answer any other questions, just ask.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The End's Tacoma Gallery
I can tell you also that an MA is a lot closer to an actual LEO than a MP is.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Dont judge me
Justin723 has a brilliant futureJustin723 has a brilliant futureJustin723 has a brilliant futureJustin723 has a brilliant futureJustin723 has a brilliant futureJustin723 has a brilliant futureJustin723 has a brilliant futureJustin723 has a brilliant futureJustin723 has a brilliant futureJustin723 has a brilliant futureJustin723 has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: Justin
Justin723's Tacoma Gallery
Im on Ft. Leonard Wood which is the place you'll go to train as an MP. There training is pretty hooah no doubt about it and theres opportunity to make rank fast, just gotta know what your doing. I know its not much help but if i was you which ever route you take enlist for the least amount of time as possible. It'll keep your windows open and you'll be able to control your carrer a little better then others.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
doakes is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Civil Engineer
doakes's Tacoma Gallery
Try contacting an Air Force Recruiter, the training is aligned with most state level LEO's.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The End View Post
I can tell you also that an MA is a lot closer to an actual LEO than a MP is.
thanks for the quick response bud. but new to this. what exactly do you mean leo?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #7

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin723 View Post
Im on Ft. Leonard Wood which is the place you'll go to train as an MP. There training is pretty hooah no doubt about it and theres opportunity to make rank fast, just gotta know what your doing. I know its not much help but if i was you which ever route you take enlist for the least amount of time as possible. It'll keep your windows open and you'll be able to control your carrer a little better then others.
thanks for the reponse. and I was actually thinking of enlisting for 2 or 3 years. I believe you can do a 2. correct me if im wrong. but like you said, I am very sure i will enjoy military. my family is all army, AF and navy. but i might do a 2 year just incase its not for me, I can get out. but I dont hink that will be the case
Old 04-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Support our troops!

The End's Tacoma Gallery
Law enforcement officer.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #9

Army:
Quote:
Law enforcement officer.
from what I read, MP's have gone more infantry than actual law enforcment. which I do not mind.

and navy has gone more anti-terrorism than law enforcment

I know I will end up in either or but im having the hardest time making a decision
Old 04-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to do law enforcement, Become a ME in the Coast Guard. Almost all waterside units do some sort of Law enforcement. We have TACLETs that have an awesome law enforcement mission. MSST's have FP teams (like training for SWAT.) Coast Guard Boarding Officers are the only Federal Law Enforcement Officer in the military. In fact most many boardings from Navy ships are led by Coast Guard LEDETs.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
MP is the best MOS in the Army (but I'm a little bias). Pretty much my whole career I was Garrison and Physical Security. IMO I was lucky but the days of working the road in a white hat are pretty much over. Now most installations in CONUS have Civilians working the road and the gates.

Unless you just want to be an MP don't limit yourself to that MOS. Being an MP won't give you an edge over anyone else who has been in the military when applying for a job with a Police Department. Any Military service will hep you. And don't forget your civilian education while you are in. That will help you also.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
Support our troops!

The End's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04prerunner View Post
from what I read, MP's have gone more infantry than actual law enforcment. which I do not mind.

and navy has gone more anti-terrorism than law enforcment

I know I will end up in either or but im having the hardest time making a decision
This is true but I can tell you that I received all the training a Civilian LEO would get plus what the Navy added on to that. Tac Teams, tan belt, all the handcuffing, holds, takedowns, small arms training, blah blah, etc. etc.

On the plus side, MA's don't stand duty.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #14

Army:
Quote:
This is true but I can tell you that I received all the training a Civilian LEO would get plus what the Navy added on to that. Tac Teams, tan belt, all the handcuffing, holds, takedowns, small arms training, blah blah, etc. etc.

On the plus side, MA's don't stand duty.
that definately helps with my possible navy decision. and when you say stand duty you mean standing gate for hours?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #15

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
MP is the best MOS in the Army (but I'm a little bias). Pretty much my whole career I was Garrison and Physical Security. IMO I was lucky but the days of working the road in a white hat are pretty much over. Now most installations in CONUS have Civilians working the road and the gates.

Unless you just want to be an MP don't limit yourself to that MOS. Being an MP won't give you an edge over anyone else who has been in the military when applying for a job with a Police Department. Any Military service will hep you. And don't forget your civilian education while you are in. That will help you also.
agreed. especially the education part. and when you say garrison is that an mp on base? meaning no deployment?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #16

Army:
Quote:
I was a MA. It is over manned, they are actually making people cross rate or retire. You won't see a ship as a MA, you won't be doing urine test unless your E-5 or higher. I can answer any other questions, just ask.
this is another thing im worried about. being over manned. Im afraid a recruiter will tell me MA is unavailable at this time. is that possible?

from what I have read, MA is the highest manned rate in the navy
Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #17
Tactical Me is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Kevin
Tactical Me's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy teaches an Army Guard MP school at Fort McClellan, AL (about 20 mins from my hometown). Army MPs are everywhere so choice of duty station is a big option most overlook. My job class only offers a handful of possible duty stations and is top heavy (hard to achieve senior promotion).

Two years in the military goes by in the blink of an eye, it really is no time at all. Consider that also when making your decision. And as far as guard duty is concerned, EVERYBODY IN THE MILITARY will pull guard duty at some time or another. It's a piece of cake. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
Awesome Member
tacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
tacomakid89's Tacoma Gallery
just throwing this out there. you could do security forces in the marines. and then from there go into F.A.S.T. company and its like the swat team of the marine corps. I just got done with my two years in it and it was pretty tight. and then once you're done with that you go to infantry for 2 years. i got to travel to like 8 different countries and do a bunch of awesome training. PM me if youre interested.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
oldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really nice
Coast Guard: AMT
Name: Jeff
oldsman71442's Tacoma Gallery
ME in the Coast Guard. IF you are on a ledet team you will be taking on drug runners and doing some pretty exciting stuff. But thats my bias opinion as i am in the Coast guard.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #20
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid89 View Post
dude be a marine.
x2

You can be an MP in the Marines, too...

But like others said, military background looks good for the record regardless what your MOS is...

Since you're looking into law enforcement someday, may I suggest infantry. You will play with guns and do patrols all day long, which really helps with the "combat mindset" of becoming a cop.

Infantry reserves is what I'm doing right now and going to school at the same time. Hoping to get into a Police Dept. in the near future.

REMEMBER: military background + college degree = DING DING DING