Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Question for service members.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Navy: Hospital Corpsman 8404 (HM3)
Name: Gary
Sheepdog's Tacoma Gallery
Question for service members.

So I was at the NRA dinner last night and the speaker asked everyone who has served or IS serving in the United States' Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, or National guard to stand up. Immediately, a BUNCH of proud veterans and active duty service members stood up and the whole building was clapping for them. So here's my question: I'm currently enlisted In the United States Navy as a Corpsman, I've gone through MEPS and Swore in and signed my contract but I haven't gone to bood camp yet. I'm scheduled to leave October 5th. So when everyone stood up to be recognised, I hesitated and eventually decided not to because I feel that I don't rate a "thanks" because I feel that I haven't served yet. What do you guys think about that? Do I rate to stand and be recognised with all the other Veterans and Active Duty service members? Or should I wait untill I have graduated form basic?

No offense will be taken if you agree with me not rating being recognised yet, I completely understand. Hense why I haven't selected the Navy as my Military branch in my avitar.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Wait it out. You're not actually serving yet and getting paid for it. Soon enough doc.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
x2

but on a side note... I am very impressed with your decision at the dinner. That is respect and I thank you for that. A lot of kids would just stood right up...
Old 04-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

That's how I feel too. Thanks for your input!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: AMMO
Name: Daniel
TacomaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
Wait it out. You're not actually serving yet and getting paid for it. Soon enough doc.
I concur... I am in no way saying you dont deserve to be recognized but when you actually do go through basic and tech school then you will know your job and the role you are fulfilling in the military.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #6
wolfman05 has much to be proud ofwolfman05 has much to be proud ofwolfman05 has much to be proud ofwolfman05 has much to be proud ofwolfman05 has much to be proud ofwolfman05 has much to be proud ofwolfman05 has much to be proud ofwolfman05 has much to be proud of

Navy: X navy
Name: Matt
wolfman05's Tacoma Gallery
Not until you've given out 1000 Motrin. Don't worry you'll get the joke when your "in". And you did the right thing, but I'm standing up now saying thanks, its a hard job trust me I know. Just don't get kicked out of "A" school for some dumb shit, show up on time, and be squared away, and your rise to the top. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
I've been in that same spot. Going through college I was on a ROTC-type program, but places like Sea World consistently have vets stand. Even though I'd going through OIS I hadn't done active duty time (besides a month in 2 summers). Anyway, I figured I hadn't "done enough" at that time to merit attention.

So,kudos to you for waiting. Yeah, it's not the same til you've actually finished boot, but at least you're using your noggin!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
rsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of light

Army: targeting Platoon SGT
Name: Rick
rsincavage85's Tacoma Gallery
Good decision, I ahve always felt once you go throught the hell of basic traing or boot camp you have earned the right.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Kudos to you also for your support of the NRA. The Military isn't the only way to protect our freedom.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
um, no you chose to do the right thing.
While you're going through bootcamp remember how they regarded those in uniform. Never forget that they are proud of you no matter what you wear only that you are serving.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
The Gunny
TexasToyo is on a distinguished road

Marines: The Gunny
Name: Alonso
TexasToyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
x2

but on a side note... I am very impressed with your decision at the dinner. That is respect and I thank you for that. A lot of kids would just stood right up...
X2
Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
Notty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud of

Army: 100% Disabled
Notty's Tacoma Gallery
Good call. You have not served until you have completed basic, are done with your advanced training, and at your first duty station.

I know a guy here that was actually kicked out of the Army in his first week at reception, before ever even going to basic training due to medical reasons. That was about 6 months ago and he still insists he is a Veteran and feels he deserves VA benefits. Trust me when we talk about it I get pissed off more then you could know. He is not a Veteran nor will he ever be one.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Ry1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Machinery Technician
Ry1984's Tacoma Gallery
very good decision! usually when people find out youve served, they want to know all about it. thus in your case there would of been nothing to say lol. your on the right track though, and be ready to go through one hell of a roller coaster through basic. theres no words to describe the how proud you will feel on graduation day good luck man.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Like others have said, you did the right thing. Your time will come. PT PT PT in the meantime!

If you have what it takes to be a Doc and get attached to a Grunt unit, I'll see you out there.

Where was the dinner at? Is it invitation only?? I would've went!

Semper Fi,
Old 04-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #17

Thank you all for your input. I respect and honor ALL of you for serving, I have the utmost respect for our veterans who have put their lives on the line for my freedom... especially those who never returned. God bless you all!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
Where was the dinner at? Is it invitation only?? I would've went!
It was at the El Dorado County fairgrounds in Placerville, CA. The tickets were 50 buks a pop but totally worth it. Are you close to us?