Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Im just being prepared, not a fanatic.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
Im just being prepared, not a fanatic.

I am just curious if anyone on here has a survivalist streak? Im talking about being prepared for ordinary power outages, hurricanes, blizzards, floods. I know I have my truck set up to be able to go more places or get out of places the regular sedan can't. Understand I don't have the end of the world mentality, but since I left the comfort and security of the military and all the resources of a military base, i've started thinking of being a little more self sufficient in a bad/worse case scenario. I don't bury guns or have 10,000 rounds of ammo, but I am able to defend my home.

I want to get to where I can homestead for at least a month without outside help or support. If I needed to Bug Out I want to be able to sustain my wife, my dog and my self for 2 weeks and have the ability to travel a minimum of 1000 miles.

I'm getting pretty close to that and its not as expensive as I thought.

If I sound like a fanatic let me know. I think I'm just being prepared, sensible and doing what I can to take care of my family.

All thoughts and comments welcome.

Mike
Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
If you are a fanatic then I'm straight paranoid. Most of my free time is spent thinking of survivalist scenarios. I need to built back up our food and water supply. Being out of work for 9 months has depleted a lot of what we had. Plenty of guns and ammo though.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
I keep enough for me and my K9 for two weeks, when I finally get a house, its game on. I plan on having a portable generator, in ground well, seed stock, plenty of the essentials (batteries, lights, canned foods). Check out survivalblog.com...tons of good info.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
We (our familly) has a place that is stocked with food, fuel, water, and other supplies "Just in case". Im sure we would be good for half a year or more, if needed.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, today I talked to my wife about it and she is all for it. She said it would be a great piece of mind. So now I get to be a fanatic LOL. I have been wanting to get a good plan together. I just figured the kind of people who take care of their vehicles and take care of their gear are just more prepared than the average citizen. I just dont want to have to rely on the Govt or FEMA to help me out if something happens.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
The MOST Badass Offroad Truck
BravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
BravesFan's Tacoma Gallery
My dad has enough dried food to last us the rest of our lives....
Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
i just have lots of bullets, and slim jims.. for the zombies.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #8

mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
I hear ya oxi, I have my truck and 4runner ready. I have 6 A bags as my BOBs. Now I am getting my water and fuel containers set up. I need to get one of those 5 gallon bucket beer brewing kits also.

Do slim jims repel zombies?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
If I can make it to the border, I'll be fine.

Preferably the one north of the US....
Old 04-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Bobjr59 is on a distinguished road
Army: Wheel Track Veh. Mech.
Bobjr59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgnc64 View Post
I am just curious if anyone on here has a survivalist streak? Im talking about being prepared for ordinary power outages, hurricanes, blizzards, floods. I know I have my truck set up to be able to go more places or get out of places the regular sedan can't. Understand I don't have the end of the world mentality, but since I left the comfort and security of the military and all the resources of a military base, i've started thinking of being a little more self sufficient in a bad/worse case scenario. I don't bury guns or have 10,000 rounds of ammo, but I am able to defend my home.

I want to get to where I can homestead for at least a month without outside help or support. If I needed to Bug Out I want to be able to sustain my wife, my dog and my self for 2 weeks and have the ability to travel a minimum of 1000 miles.

I'm getting pretty close to that and its not as expensive as I thought.

If I sound like a fanatic let me know. I think I'm just being prepared, sensible and doing what I can to take care of my family.

All thoughts and comments welcome.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
If you are a fanatic then I'm straight paranoid. Most of my free time is spent thinking of survivalist scenarios. I need to built back up our food and water supply. Being out of work for 9 months has depleted a lot of what we had. Plenty of guns and ammo though.
Welcome to the club I'm ex-army were I learned to be paranoid and as a prepper I'd like to say thanks to my fellow paranoids for being here
Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
If you're not prepared, then you learned nothing being in the military!

I'm in the Reserves and I, too, am always preparing for a zombie attack. My taco always has a 5-gal water jug, 5-gal of 91 gas, MREs, etc...

Better to be safe than sorry. You can never have too much survival gear.

Semper Fi.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 AM   #12

mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
I did CST at Fort McCoy a couple years back in Wis. I'm trying to find like minded people also. Most of the time I run into people who wish they were ex mil LOL. I hoped to find a few on here.
oxi, you ever get to Camp Lejeune?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 AM   #13
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Subd, and I'll be going to Chris's
Old 04-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
As for my dad being a Navy Retiree, we are in the same boat. He keeps 150 gallons of fresh water in the garage in 3 barrels, a years' worth of dehydrated food (Rainy Day Foods to be exact), an gas tank, generators, and enough propane to grill for 6 months...
Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
How/where do you all store your survival gear in your truck? Ammo can? Glove box? Center console? Other?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i dont have to worry about it because i know if shit happens im getting called into work
Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
my kit sits behind my passenger back seat, with extra knife,gerber tool, 2x builders bars, GPS, batteries & compass in my console. Ill try to get pics of my SERE kit, and BOB this weekend. Ive still a long way to go, but im getting the gear as funds permit. Have you guys read WWZ, by max brooks? Its a zombie book, but written as a real world event, excellent read adn makes you think "what would I do?" Other good ones are Alas' Babylon and Deep Survival; Who lives, dies and why by lawrence Gonzalez-more in line with survival psych, but good to know.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
philobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant future

Name: - philo
philobeddoe's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to philobeddoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
If you're not prepared, then you learned nothing being in the military!

I'm in the Reserves and I, too, am always preparing for a zombie attack. My taco always has a 5-gal water jug, 5-gal of 91 gas, MREs, etc...

Better to be safe than sorry. You can never have too much survival gear.

Semper Fi.

do you rotate the 5gal water jug, 5gal gasoline jug?
keep it fresh?

anyone read Lights Out?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
do you rotate the 5gal water jug, 5gal gasoline jug?
keep it fresh?

anyone read Lights Out?
5 gal jug gets checked every month to see if its bad or not. 5 gal gasoline has Stabil, a preservative that keeps stored fuel fresh for up to a year...

I stash MREs and survival gear in a $20 moto bag from the PX store and lock everything up in the bed (roll-n-lock).

5 gallon water jug has to be laid on its side.

ZOMBIES!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #20
Motivator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxi View Post
I typically do not have that kind of gear loaded on a daily basis...

I have a compass, map of my state and local county, matches and a lighter with me everyday...

I plan on having totes loaded with gear easily accessable in my house and can be loaded in miuntes if need be or loaded for a small trip to my folks house, etc...

I keep a small stash of fuel on hand in case power fails and fuel stations cannot operate or if the stupid society panics and they all hit the stations at once.

I have MRE's and bottled water (easily moved) on hand also as well as my totes!
Maybe I'm just a moTARD!!

I also carry extra flashlights and batteries