Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Navy Divers

Old 06-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Question Navy Divers

Hello,

I am interested in becoming a Navy Diver, and I wanted to talk with some of you and get your feelings and perspective. Any info would be great! I plan on seeing a recruiter over the weekend to discuss various options.

I'm 23 with a Bachelors degree and would like to become a Dive Medic eventually. My BA is in Art: Graphic Design and I also have a Associates in Business. I know it has nothing to do with diving but Graphic design was my first dream, now I'm moving away from the office/computer.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
You should get certified as a scuba diver first, see if you like diving to begin with. Then take the adavanced class, dive rescue and Divemaster. It would give you a good grounding in basic diving, not really related to Navy diving but you would understand dive physics and physiology and not have to commit to 4 years to find out you don't like diving to begin with. You can go from getting certified as basic open water to Divemaster in abouit 4 months if you go straight through.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
You should get certified as a scuba diver first, see if you like diving to begin with. Then take the adavanced class, dive rescue and Divemaster. It would give you a good grounding in basic diving, not really related to Navy diving but you would understand dive physics and physiology and not have to commit to 4 years to find out you don't like diving to begin with. You can go from getting certified as basic open water to Divemaster in abouit 4 months if you go straight through.

... ^^^ ... Good advice ... but you can do it from scratch also.

When I went on active duty .... having a little prior experience as a fixed wing private pilot was my ticket to helicopters.

Any prior civilian experience in the area that you are interested in the military sure does help and that degree is an added plus also.

IMO ... with most civilian retirements almost toast now ... the military would be a good place to be for 20+ years to get some bennies.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
my neighbor is a navy diver, let me ask him some questions
as far as a dive medic is concerned, there is an enlisted path (Hospital Corpsman HM8493 or HM8494) or the Dive Medical Officer. I have no clue about the DMO but here is information about the first two clicky

btw, I don't think the BA will get you an officer slot, but I'm not sure.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Tactical Trunk Monkey
Celtic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nick
Celtic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Celtic Send a message via Yahoo to Celtic
Hey believe it or not my sister is a Navy Diver, 5th woman to ever make it too. I could pass her your info if you like, she is getting ready to re-enlist for a second time. She went in as a SeaBee welder, and passed the requirements and made it in to school and is now a diver. They teach you everything you need to know, because they want you trained their way not some diving school. Degree might help but not sure how much, as far as helping with getting into dive school, it doesnt mean anything tho. PM me and I'll talk to her and have her contact you. Only advise I could give you from what I know, you better be a good swimmer, so start doing laps
Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
Hey believe it or not my sister is a Navy Diver, 5th woman to ever make it too. I could pass her your info if you like, she is getting ready to re-enlist for a second time. She went in as a SeaBee welder, and passed the requirements and made it in to school and is now a diver. They teach you everything you need to know, because they want you trained their way not some diving school. Degree might help but not sure how much, as far as helping with getting into dive school, it doesnt mean anything tho. PM me and I'll talk to her and have her contact you. Only advise I could give you from what I know, you better be a good swimmer, so start doing laps
I believe it! I will PM you in a sec, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
as far as a dive medic is concerned, there is an enlisted path (Hospital Corpsman HM8493 or HM8494) or the Dive Medical Officer. I have no clue about the DMO but here is information about the first two clicky

Thank you for the link, its full of helpful stuff plus other career choices if I find that diving isn't for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post

... ^^^ ... Good advice ... but you can do it from scratch also.

When I went on active duty .... having a little prior experience as a fixed wing private pilot was my ticket to helicopters.

Any prior civilian experience in the area that you are interested in the military sure does help and that degree is an added plus also.

IMO ... with most civilian retirements almost toast now ... the military would be a good place to be for 20+ years to get some bennies.

Yea, I am going to look into getting the open water diving certificate to introduce myself to the processes and procedures. I feel the same way about the Bennies joining the service too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
Great advice, I will look into this. The only thing is you have to pay for all these classes, and in the Navy they pay you to take these classes in a sense. But, that doesn;t mean I shouldn't overlook these classes.

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
did she just report to Norfolk..?? If so, she is HOT..!!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
myclejay is on a distinguished road

Navy: HM
myclejay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

What's up. 8404 here as well. Been to the school but didn't make it through. My academic skills were less than desirable. I was going for 8493.
The PT I could hang with and being a senior guy (class leader) I was getting beat everyday for the stupid crap the boot campers were pulling. It's an A school now so you have these kids coming into the school not knowing what the Navy is about and taking things for granted.

If anyone has questions let me know.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:

Honestly...being a fast swimmer isn't a major requirement. If you're struggling on the finning they will remmediate you They will actually check the pool logbook to see if you went on the weekends.

...to the org post - I would recommend doing this to prepare yourself http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/1578261716

Maybe a little overkill but you will be thanking me after your 478th 8-Count Body Builder on the boat ramp
Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
︻╦╤─

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by myclejay View Post
What's up. 8404 here as well. Been to the school but didn't make it through. My academic skills were less than desirable. I was going for 8493.
The PT I could hang with and being a senior guy (class leader) I was getting beat everyday for the stupid crap the boot campers were pulling. It's an A school now so you have these kids coming into the school not knowing what the Navy is about and taking things for granted.

If anyone has questions let me know.
You went to which school..?? FMSS or dive school..??
Both of those are 'C' schools for corpsman
Old 06-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
I believe it! I will PM you in a sec, thanks!

Thank you for the link, its full of helpful stuff plus other career choices if I find that diving isn't for me.

Yea, I am going to look into getting the open water diving certificate to introduce myself to the processes and procedures. I feel the same way about the Bennies joining the service too.

Great advice, I will look into this. The only thing is you have to pay for all these classes, and in the Navy they pay you to take these classes in a sense. But, that doesn;t mean I shouldn't overlook these classes.

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming!
If you really want to do something truly away from the desk/computer it would be EOD. Those guys get massive amounts of reenlistment bonuses, the best schools, the best gear. They get to jump, dive, and shoot. The EOD detachment on my first Med Cruise with the Marines were checking a hotel for explosives at some 5 star hotel in St Thomas for a senator. They showed me pictures...probably some sort of recruiting tool i'm sure. I think those guys spent a total of 5 weeks in Panama City for their dive training. May differ now as that was in early 2007 when I was there. With all of the money available I wouldn't be surprised if they had their own dive school now.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
You went to which school..?? FMSS or dive school..??
Both of those are 'C' schools for corpsman

Sorry for the confusion...both. Was at Camp Johnson in 1996 and Panama City in early 2007.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #14
︻╦╤─

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
really, Camp Johnson in 1996...I graduated in Dec 1996.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #15

Quote:
really, Camp Johnson in 1996...I graduated in Dec 1996.

Sorry to hijack the original post. Doc, i'll shoot you a PM
Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #16
Nubi Toyota *****
Brianmac is on a distinguished road
Navy: Royal Canadian Navy Reserve (ret)
Name: Brian
Brianmac's Tacoma Gallery
AS a Canadian I know its truly different up here, but as both a former Navy Officer, Rescue Diver (Dive Master Candidate), and medic.....all really great and all revelent to each other, I would agree with the recomendation of getting certified first as a diver on the civ. side before you go in to see if you like it.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
deepseadiver is on a distinguished road
Navy: First class Diver, Mobile Diving and Combat Salvage Unit 2
Name: william
deepseadiver's Tacoma Gallery
I have been a navy diver for 8 years. IMO its the best job you could ever hope to get. now when I say navy diver i dont mean SCUBA diver, well we do that too but I am a Navy deep sea diver. If you think you have what it takes to become one then go for it. you will be exposed to a brotherhood so tight. there are less then 1000 navy deep sea diver in the whole world. If anyone is a true navy diver then most likely i know them. the community is that small. Seriously if you want to be a NAVY DIVER go for it! you wont be disapointed. Plus i work with EOD, SEALS, MARINE RECON etc. you get to do awesome stuff and i am about to reenlist for 60,000 dollars. PM me if you need help getting in or you have any questions
Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #18
Nubi Toyota *****
Brianmac is on a distinguished road
Navy: Royal Canadian Navy Reserve (ret)
Name: Brian
Brianmac's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever do your Open Water Certification, if not look at this as a starting point.
http://gue.com/?q=en/node/838
I myself went through the PADI route, also good training, but GUE offers a much higher standard, I wished I had know about this when I git started.
Cheers best of luck
Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #19
JoshLV is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
JoshLV's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a ND in the Navy. First off, you don't need to have previous dive experience. The only thing you would benefit from civilian diving is finding out whether or not you like it. Most diving you do won't even be SCUBA.
If you want to go through with it, first thing you need to do is see your recruiter. Take the practice ASVAB and find out how you do. Then you'll need to go to MEPS for a physical. Make sure you don't have any color vision problems, because this is a disqualifier. If they sign you off, then you'll go to basic training, which is about 2 months in Great Lakes, IL. From there, you will go to a CEODD Prep Course, also in Great Lakes. You'll be there for another 2 months or so learning basic engineering, and getting PT'd hard. If you pass there you'll get to go to Dive School at NDSTC in Panama City, Florida which is about 5 months in length.
Pretty much the best advice I can give you is be REALLY comfortable in the water. The PT and academics part will come with time and training, but if you're not comfortable in the water then nothing else matters.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need to know anything else.