1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Some Help with my Son.

Discussion in 'Military' started by wlmuncy, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Jul 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    This might seem strange, and please take no offense to what I am about to state and ask; but I am in need of some help with my son. He is in a few days away from 17 and hell bent on joining the military. His mom is fully against this, for the reasons most mothers are against. I am neutral to the entire subject, as a woman's scorn and all that jazz. Personally I was in the military, Air Force Security forces for a hair over 4 years (a little stop loss love). At this time he wants to go Army, be a ground pounder, as we use to call them- Again nothing wrong with infantry work. I would just prefer a different choice if he decided to do that, maybe mechanic, med tech, etc. You get my point.

Now for my request, I am the step dad, so any advice I provide is tainted in his eyes. It also no very little of the Army structure, so things might be very different between the two branches, besides their mission structure. I am wondering if someone so gracious could set-up a yahoo email account that I could pass to him and let him get the real story from others who have done it. I do not want someone to sale either point of view, just the straight bull from someone doing the work now.

Thanks for any help you might give.

2. Jul 27, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    it may be a good idea for him.couldnt he learn a trade in the army?

3. Jul 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails

PM sent....

4. Jul 27, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    Patrick

Patrick Well-Known Member

Member:
    he could learn a trade in the air force and not be a ground pounder

5. Jul 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    tacoman007

tacoman007 ignorance is bliss,

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07SR5ACCESSCABDEBAGED4X4
    alpine headunit,12'' rockford fosgate sub,ipod in g-box,drop in K&N, Marine decor,5100's front/rear,uniden pc68xl,radioshack PA speaker
    best of the best USMC,where big boys play!!!

6. Jul 27, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I respect anyone who is or was in the military. Especially those who fought in a war. I have seen all kind of movies/ documentary's and don't see how they withstood it.

7. Jul 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    doakes

doakes Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think if you live near a couple of the different bases, take him to the public affairs office for a "Working tour". They will show him most of all the jobs. ASAF and Army have good public affairs offices. ASAF used to co-ordinate with recruiters for the tours. I did 6 actice with ASAF3 State Dept, and then 1 back ASAF for total of 10.

8. Jul 27, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    One of the biggest perks I think, is that military service will always set you apart of other applicants for any job he applies for in the future.

9. Jul 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport, 4x4- totaled
    OEM bug deflector
    Your son is very lucky to have someone that cares as much as you do about his future. Rep.

10. Jul 27, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    wlmuncy

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Thank you everyone. I hope that based on the proper advice he makes the best choice for his future.

11. Jul 27, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    montgomery_30824

montgomery_30824 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    K & N airfilter, custom built 10" sub boxes, pioneer head, mag-lite mod, Blue LED dash lights, custom painted engine cover, mud flap removal mod, alarm/remote start installed,
    Marine Corps all the way. Just tell him to think about after he gets out. Pick a career field that he can get a good paying job when he gets out. Not really a need for grunts out in the civilian world.

12. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    I've been retired for a while now, but I would really suggest he wait until he's 18 before enlisting. I know he can't do so without parental signatures, but it sounds as if he really needs to mature a little more, thus the suggestion he wait. Air Force basic is a lot different than it was when I went through, and Army basic is also very different from what it was years ago. All branches want young men, but they also want them to be mature enough to put aside their own desires and accept the training they are given. If he's not ready to do that, he's not ready for military service. I know that a lot of older military members (including me), tell the younger people that the military builds character and respect for others, but they have to be willing to accept their training. I really don't think a 17 year old is actually ready to accept that commitment.

13. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Maybe suggest ROTC, get him through college, graduate with a degree and go into the Army as an officer. His mother might be more open to that option also.

14. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

Hi,

well as a 23 year old who made my parents sign the papers necessary soon after turning 17 I'd say it's his choice with compliance of his parents of course.

If you or your wife wish against it it will still give him more than enough time I'm sure for him to make his own decision until he's old enough to make his own decision.

I turned 18 when I was in bootcamp and to this day I can proudly say that I would do it all over again, even if I new ahead of time what kind of bull sh!^ I would go through.

I got out this past January (2010) and I'm going to school full time, on Uncle Sam's dime of course :D

I also had a job that was useless to me in the civilian world, but I kinda got screwed from the very beginning by my recruiter (damn him) but like I said I wouldn't change a thing. I got to go to places I NEVER thought I would ever visit. I'm sure most of you military peeps can say the same thing.

The experience alone is well worth it. It has made me who I am today, and with out the discipline that I acquaired while I was in I think I would never have been ready for college.

I mean no offense to you Rogueleader but I was ready for the commitment. :D

I had the guts (or was dumb enough :eek:) to shout out orders to the recruits while doing drill that the Drill Instructors made me squad leader in the 1st phase of bootcamp. (of course my recruiter said I had the potential so I proved him right) haha.

Soon after graduation began the road to the unkown, the road to achieve a personal conquest, of good times, good experience and most of all the goal to get the hell back out of the Marine Corps and become a nasty civilian again haha. Jk on the last part, but over all it was the best decision of my life so far.

I wish your step son the best of luck in what ever decision he makes. :)

15. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    x2...ROTC is an outstanding way to go. Sounds like he's gung-ho and wants to join the fighting, so to speak. I think he needs to understand it is not as glorified as it appears on TV. That's not to say it isn't a good fit for him, and he may be very good at his job, but I agree with other posters: he may need to mature a little, do some research, and make a fully educated decision about his future. It's nice to hear you're open and willing to help him do that...I was an AF officer, so I can't provide many specifics about the Army enlisted corps.

16. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    BINGO...good advice...(career field at least;)) grunts carry a lot of good/bad memories/physical pain w/ them for life, and when all is said and done, in my opinion, it's the most agonizing yet fulfilling experience in the service, but like the Marine stated, one needs to think ahead and plan for the future,as hard as it may be in youth...my advice is as above...

17. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails

PM sent again...I got a bad email address from you....

18. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    wlmuncy

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    All good now. We will not let him go until he is 18. His mother will not agree to any paper signing. So my real goal is for him to see the real side of the military. As many have stated, it will build character; and personally I believe I can thank my years of service to my country for where I am in life. Still I was what I call a tweener (between major conflicts) and other than some rough times in the Gulf, really saw nothing that kids are seeing right now.

Again, thank you all and I will hope he makes the best choice for himself, once he has all the facts.

19. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    If it were my son I'd ask him to seek out some vets and active duty members of the Army and interview them. Get opinions of people that have or are there. Information is everything. I'd never try to talk my son out of serving but I'd want him to make his decision based on information and education.

20. Jul 28, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    FO.STUNNA.505

FO.STUNNA.505 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Columbus, GA Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '00 4Runner 4x4 SR5 3" OME
    3" OME lift, Shrockworks bumper, PIAA lights
    well you have both right here! currently enjoying the beautiful 128 degree weather!
    20 y/o SPC Army Medic Baghdad, IR
    as a medic ive been able to do it all, a little bit of "ground pound" with the line, work in the medical center and ive had the chance to be an unofficial flight medic (i have the school when i get back)
    couldnt be happier with my career choice, as it was what i wanted from the get go.
    being a soldier is one of the most rewarding feelings as long as youre the type to take pride in what you stand for... as everyone who puts this uniform on should.

if your boy needs some advice, i have nothing to sell and only the truth to speak. PM me for more

Products Discussed in

To Top