1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WWII LT Fletcher & his long journey home

Discussion in 'Military' started by Simon's Mom, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Aug 20, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom [OP] Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    LT Fletcher is being honored & placed to rest today in Essex Jct, Vermont, 66 years after being considered missing in action.

Lieutenant Ray F. Fletcher, USAAF, died May 10, 1944, while piloting a B-25C Mitchell medium bomber on a courier mission from Ajaccio, Corsica, to Ghisonaccia, Corsica.

His aircraft encountered heavy storms and crashed on Mount Cagna, near Giannuccio. The rugged terrain prevented U.S. Army Air Force personnel from reaching the crash site at the time, and 1st Lt Fletcher was listed as "Killed in Action - Not Recoverable". A team of native Corsicans, working with the U.S. Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command, recently recovered 1st Lt Fletcher, and have returned his remains to Essex Center, Vermont for burial next his parents, Ray and Nellie (Foley) Fletcher.

1st Lt Ray F. Fletcher was born on May 5, 1917. He attended Westborough Schools and was a graduate of Boston University on June 2, 1941. He served as a pilot in the U.S. Army Air Force, 380th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 310th Bombardment Group (Medium), 57th Bombardment Wing, 12th Air Force, Mediterranean Theater of Operations.

I salute him, those who never gave up on finding him, & all veterans past & present.
    He paid the ultimate sacrifice for our Freedom!

2. Aug 20, 2010 at 7:26 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    God has smiled on him today and allowed this hero to be buried next to those who loved him most..."mom and dad!" My hat is off the POW/MIA recovery team who never gives up. Rest in Peace here you've more than earned it and your time away from home is now over.....

CW5 RRM
    United States Army (CH-47 Pilot)
    Currently serving

3. Aug 20, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    very cool

4. Aug 20, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
  5. Mar 3, 2011 at 5:11 AM
    ladyjwitt

ladyjwitt New Member

Member:
    Dillwyn Va
    Vehicle:
    junked
    My family and i would like to thank EVERYONE that made this possible. Our loved one is at peace at home where he needs to be. Thanks again to all!!!

6. Mar 3, 2011 at 5:29 AM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    Welcome home Lieutenant. This is the kind of story that reassures me that we still live in the best country in the world, USA!!:oldglory:

7. Mar 3, 2011 at 5:30 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Welcome home 1st Lt Ray F. Fletcher.

I too can relate to this story. My Grandfather was a msgt pilot for the B25c Mitchell as well as the B-24 Liberator and was shot down over germany and held pow for 2 years before escaping.

:oldglory::plane:

8. Mar 3, 2011 at 5:32 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    I have to give credit to the POW/MIA recovery guys. It always seems like they are busting their asses in pursuit of the mission. Hats off to them.

Products Discussed in

To Top