1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Army WOFT

Discussion in 'Military' started by Hiemsnox, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM
    Hiemsnox

Hiemsnox [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Beavercreek, OH
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Offroad Indigo Ink
    So as title says, I'm applying for the Army Warrant Officer Flight Training program. Ive done quite a bit of research into this and I'm really hoping that I can make it into the program.

For those of you that don't know WOFT is the program that trains the Helicopter pilots for the army.

My reason for applying for WOFT is that I used to be AF ROTC, but because of my grades back when I was a freshman I wasn't competitive enough when selections came around to continue in the program. Since then I have changed majors and gotten much better grades and now am about a year from graduating.

Flying has always interested me and whats really crazy is that between when I was a freshman and now is that if I didn't fuck up my schooling back then I know for sure that I would be a pilot and have graduated college already. Now it's so much harder to get in these days because of the massive inflow of students looking for a commission.

So I see this as a second chance to redeem myself. I won't get to be flying fixed wings but at least I'll be flying. If anyone might have some good info that could help me out in the selection board that would be amazing. I know that I can get through the training, its just getting selected that worries me.

2. Feb 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    UH60Hwkdrvr

UH60Hwkdrvr Well-Known Member

Member:
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma Limited Nightshade 4x4
    I am a current Warrant Officer...if you don't get selected the first time and your packet is fully qualified, then keep applying until you are selected. Flight School starts every two weeks.

As for fixed wing aircraft, the Army has many...C12/RC12, Dash 7, UC35 (Citation V) and the Gulfsream V. Sometimes they select fixed wing pilots during flight school, but mostly you have to apply for it after you have been a pilot for a short time. Each year the Army does selection for the fixed wing community and the eligibility criteria is slightly different each time , but usually consists of 500hrs total time, be in a permanent change of station status, be a CW2 or higher and a few other things.

I am currently stationed in Korea but as recently as two months ago I was at Ft Rucker teaching the UH60 Flight School 21 course. You will enjoy FS if you study and are prepared for class everday. Fail to study and FS will suck!

Feel free to PM me anytime if you have any questions. Only advice I can give you for the interview is to be confident(not arrogant).

Good luck!

M.A.C.

3. Feb 10, 2012 at 2:05 AM
    Hiemsnox

Hiemsnox [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Beavercreek, OH
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Offroad Indigo Ink
    Thank you for the response, I am sure I will have plenty of questions as I get closer to my Interview.

4. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    60guy

60guy BADASS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Double Cab
    I am also a current Warrant officer and have to agree with UH60Hwkdvr if you don't get selected the first time and your packet is fully qualified, then keep applying until you are selected.

I think it took three tries before I got selected.

I was Sataion at the Hump in Korea and got picked up for fixed wing when I PCSed and am currently flying RC-12s.

If you have any questions I may be able to answer lat me know.

5. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:12 AM
    docjake

docjake Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fredericksburg VA
    How many tries till your fixed wing packet went through? Were you already tracked when you got picked up?

6. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    ApacheDriver

ApacheDriver Showin' HAWG how it's done!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '10 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    ICON, Black Rhino Imperial 17x9, 285/70 BFG A/T, ToughLite 32” light bar, weather tech, wet okole (rear)
    I agree with the Hawk guys (for once :rolleyes:) in saying that if you don't get picked up the first time and have a fully qualified, non-select status then try again.

I'm not sure I can be of much help since my background at the time of application was prob different than yours. It consisted of:

-Prior service (enlisted 8yrs)
    -A.A. degree (~3.1 GPA)
    -Civilian flight time (100+ hrs)
    -LOR's (from a state rep, Marine Corps. major, and my civ flight instr.)

I was told the only thing that helped my packet was my prior service. The other stuff was just a bonus. Don't let it be a deterring factor if you don't have prior service though. I'm sure you know what the minimums are for application and it sounds like your education may help you out if anything.

Be sure to ask your recruiter about the interview process and what they might ask you. A couple of topics for me were "why I think I would be a contribution to Army Aviation, current events and school. Other than that we B.S'd about baseball and my prior service days. It was actually really laid back. The formal Q's only lasted about 10min. As long as you show confidence (like Hwkdrvr said) then you will do fine.

I understand your interest in aviation too. I have flown both FW and RW and have to say they both have their own enticing qualities. Who knows, you may fall in love with a helo. I was a die-hard helo fan since I can remember. The only reason I didn't take private helo lessons was purely for $$$. I almost LOL'd when I went to my first helo FBO to inquire about lessons. I was quoted some rediculous hourly price! So I went across the airfield and checked out the FW school. Now days I use FW for fun and sometimes travel (for more fun) whenever I can. Airplanes fly themselves practlically and are great for tooling around and/or long trips. On the other hand, helos are where my heart is. And what's better than flying the most advanced attack helicopter in the world?...Answer: SEX OF COURSE! HA! But my job is a close second :cool:

If you have any Q's feel free to PM me. Good luck!

7. Mar 20, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    60guy

60guy BADASS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Double Cab
    Got picked up for FW the first time around. I was not tracked at that time. It seems to be the trend to pick up non tracked guy for FW, at least the last few boards.

Products Discussed in

To Top