1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Airborne

Discussion in 'Military' started by Airborne09, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    Airborne09

Airborne09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    So we got any other Airborne personnel on here?
    And none of those guys that are dirty nasty legs that were some how unfortunately attached to an ABN unit, but actual no shit qualified ABN personnel.

Give your best/favorite jump story, ie. it be from jump school or from a unit jump or foreign jump...

I'll start off ha.

So I had just got to AK with the 4th BDE (ABN) 25th ID. I had spent a year at Fort Drum and AK, was my first ABN assignment. Day 2 of being in the unit I'm told I'm jumping the next day and I feel like "shit man I ain't jumped in a year I'm scared shitless right now" lol.
    Well the next day comes, do pre-manifest, pre-jump, manifest and all that bull shit, go to the JMC and rig up. Well no one told me this was going to a Map of the Earth flight, I didn't even know what that meant until my NCO told me. (for those who don't know, its where the bird fly's the geographical terrain of the earth below.)
    Well we had NG flying us that day in a C-130 and after about 3 hours of flying all over AK up around Mt. McKinley and back with most everyone puking from the bouncyness of the flight.
    We all stand up and hook up and get ready to go, when the guy in front of me (I was the 3rd jumper) just collapses and starts puking right there on the floor with just the 30 second warning being called. I pick him up and he says he's good and the JM checks him out and then we get the green light. We start walking towards the door, and as soon as the guy in front of me exits the plane what does he do, but starts puking again!! This guy is puking as he jumps and we had our CO (the first jumper) below him and he pukes all over his chute as he passes under him.
    Funniest thing I ever saw was a man puking as he floats to the ground, and then my CO rolling up his chute and finding out there puke all over it lol

2. Feb 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    i almost died at 13K feet on my first equipment/O2 HALO jump out of HALO school. lol

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    burnt_tiger

burnt_tiger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    viper 5900 automatic start/alarm, pioneer avic-d3 indash gps UWS black truck box black tube steps, blue sea fuse block wet okoles console vault AFE oil free drop in air filter. hose clamp mod 5% tint Cobra 75 CB
    just a 5 jump chump here...and no cool stories. well there was that ROTC chick that thought she was hot shit, until the risers almost took her ear off. somebody forgot to keep her chin on her chest...

Manfred likes this.
  4. Feb 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    Tacodog

Tacodog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Renton, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 TRD offroad DCSB Cement
    Icon stage 1, Icon upper control arms, 17” Fuel wheels,Ridge Grapplers, TRD exhaust, leather interior.
    My f'ed up stories are to long to type. Was with the 82nd ABN. 1/508 Inf. Sucide 8 if we can't kill you no one can. I'm talking about our own guys. 25 months with them and we killed 24 of are own guys in training.

Bigheadtinyarms likes this.
  5. Feb 11, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    a girl died in my airborne class in 05. burned in, never opened her reserve.

6. Feb 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    These stories make me really, really want to get my wings :cookiemonster:

Bigheadtinyarms likes this.
  7. Feb 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    I washed out due to injuries in my right ankle and right hip during ground week.

Well the bad ankle came from basic...

In any event, one of my life's greatest regrets was that I didn't earned my maroon beret and my jump wings.

While at the hospital, there were a couple of guys who got tuned BAD. One, got picked up by strong winds and wound up landing on an Alabama highway. It was the first person I ever saw in a full body cast! :eek:

8. Feb 11, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    GregLee98

GregLee98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    Saw a guy blow a testicle when his chute opened. Painful. Tuck em up high.

9. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    Leg here

Im attached to the 82nd 4th BCT :mad:

Im a medic and i pull coverage on jumps to avoid shoot shakeouts and i see all the good injuries as they happen ... which in all reality is why im still a leg

10. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    GrayTacoma

GrayTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Huntingtown, MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    PIAA ion yellow fogs stay on all time,aux reverse lights, aux lights, camper with rack, cb, air bags, on board air, aux fuse box, aux batt, CAI, etc.............
    Former PARATOOPER here, fracture a vertebrate on a 600Ft combat load night training exercise. I had a twisted choote, by the time I deployed the reserve I was hitting the ground, did my PLF, I knew I landed hard so I rolled over undid all my equiptment, check all motion to my legs, all good till I got up. thats when my whole body crack like a potatoe chip. I sat on my rucksack and as I was taking out my red chemlight the medics were there to assist me. they could not believe I was alive. They told me they did not see my choote at all and that I landed like a bag of potatoes. I was medevac to the hospital where all hte fun began, but that's another story. YES, I will do it all over again. I miss the guys and the comodarity. I served with the 82nd, NC and 6TH RTB, FL

11. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Sub's for stories. I wanted to be a PJ so bad but hearing loss kept me from it. Thanks for everything guy's. Also I understand that this is a Military thread but it would be appreciated if you could explain a little bit of the military jargon you use for us civilians.

12. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    But are allowed to wear the unit patch and tab, so long as they are with that unit. Pure BS in my opinion (they shouldn't), but what the heck do I know, I'm just a wash out.

13. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    U got to remember that I did basic in '92. But back then in another company there were a bunch of NG guys, that where wearing the tabs and patches.

We thought they looked ridiculous, and told them so every chance we got. The Drill Sgt's being RA, didn't exactly stopped us...

Never did see anyone wearing the Beret, that had not earned them though...

14. Feb 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    my6

my6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    houston,texas
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner 2wd non trd
    Would it be cool for a son of a retired 11th Airborne Msgt tell some of his fathers stories of Korea here. They are the stories I grew up with and being "old school" my dad would never think of retelling them to anyone.

Arete1969 likes this.
  15. Feb 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    Nap of earth....not map of earth.

I was a C130 Loadmaster for 12 years and did a lot of money jumps and basic airborne schools. Had one guy hand me a puke bag as he was departing the aircraft which I promptly threw out the paratroop door after him. Most of the low level flights are at the request of the jump masters. Personally, I would take off, go direct to the DZ and get'r done.

mac_2_nite and TTT like this.
  16. Feb 13, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    Airborne09

Airborne09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    My PSG, actually kicks people out of my platoon if their not airborne qualified. His philosophy, if your in an ABN unit you better be airborne. Seen it time and time again.

17. Feb 13, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:

Kudos to your PSG, that's the way it should be. Wearing a patch you have not earned, should be considered a disrespectful act.

18. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    burnt_tiger

burnt_tiger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    viper 5900 automatic start/alarm, pioneer avic-d3 indash gps UWS black truck box black tube steps, blue sea fuse block wet okoles console vault AFE oil free drop in air filter. hose clamp mod 5% tint Cobra 75 CB
    the 101st is not an airborne unit but wears the tab and jump boot with class As. no maroon beret though. The tab and boots are worn because of the history of the unit

Arete1969 likes this.
  19. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:

Air Assault not Airborne? If by that you mean not jumping out of airplanes, yeah, they are not. But what they do is BALLSY! :cool:

Arete1969 likes this.
  20. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    Justin W

Justin W Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Jefferson, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite double cab Tacoma
    First jump ever got the static line wrapped around my arm... Luckily it wasnt that bad just some swelling and alot of bruising. Got my wings though, and a BDU top that was autographed by the static line...

Products Discussed in

To Top