Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Military (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/military/)
-   -   Wanted/Wanting to join the Marines or military in general (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/military/262207-wanted-wanting-join-marines-military-general.html)

MGMTacolover55 02-07-2013 08:18 PM

Wanted/Wanting to join the Marines or military in general

So long story short I want to join the marines or one of the military branches but since Obama got reelected I am hesitant and I have seen some stuff about military training to take civilian weapons and I just am conflicted on if I should join or not plus I don't know if this stuff is true or not so I just wanted to get some advice from some current or past military guys thanks

MrGrimm 02-07-2013 08:26 PM

There is no military training to take civilian weapons. I am an instructor that would be in the pipeline of your entry level training and I haven't seen or heard anything on this.

sparkyufo 02-07-2013 08:31 PM

I work in DC and I have not seen anything about civilian weapons being brought in for training.

Where did you see this info at?

MGMTacolover55 02-08-2013 03:58 PM

The information was from a 1961 state department memorandum it is available to the public I just didn't know if something was in the works for diarmament like the NDAA 2013 was passed.

MrGrimm 02-08-2013 07:27 PM

1961? Heads up, it's 2013... Just sayin...

sparkyufo 02-08-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGrimm (Post 6409861)
1961? Heads up, it's 2013... Just sayin...

^^^^^
||||||||

What he said

nfs257 02-08-2013 09:57 PM

:lisa:

Fiend13 02-08-2013 10:06 PM

Honestly man I'd be asking other questions like civilian opportunities outside after the military, what life is like in the military, benefits, etc. things that involve life time career decisions. I know there's always a recruiter to talk to for those types of things but if you want the truth ask around here or somewhere there is plenty of military personnel. We all know recruiters lie (no offense to those out there). In my honest opinion, no matter what branch you decide to go with, it's a good start to life. I originally signed up for 4 years and then was gonna get out and here I am 7 years later still in.

Lazylegs 02-08-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiend13 (Post 6410717)
Honestly man I'd be asking other questions like civilian opportunities outside after the military, what life is like in the military, benefits, etc. things that involve life time career decisions. I know there's always a recruiter to talk to for those types of things but if you want the truth ask around here or somewhere there is plenty of military personnel. We all know recruiters lie (no offense to those out there). In my honest opinion, no matter what branch you decide to go with, it's a good start to life. I originally signed up for 4 years and then was gonna get out and here I am 7 years later still in.

Funny how that works out that way.:D

farbio615 02-08-2013 10:12 PM

if your already looking for an excuse not to join I wouldnt because you will be in Afgahnistan in less than a year after your graduate basic.

Mxpatriot 02-08-2013 10:13 PM

The military is last federal government entity you should worry about taking your weapons. Not joining because you don't like the CiC is a weak sauce excuse, to put it lightly.

MGMTacolover55 02-10-2013 01:10 PM

Thanks for clearing the air guys and I probably will joining after Afghanistan is over I support you guys in the service 100% but I think Afghanistan is a hopeless cause now. But thanks for the advice and Thank for your service

Monster Coma 02-10-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 (Post 6416808)
Thanks for clearing the air guys and I probably will joining after Afghanistan is over I support you guys in the service 100% but I think Afghanistan is a hopeless cause now. But thanks for the advice and Thank for your service

Honestly, they might not need you then.. They are already down sizing and Afghanistan may not be over for another 5 years, just my opinion. I was turned away from the marines, even with being in college and a decent asvab score.

Fiend13 02-10-2013 02:06 PM

I don't think Afghanistan will ever be over or the middle east in general for that matter. Why wait till it ends to join the marines though?

BuzzardsGottaEat 02-10-2013 02:11 PM

Don't join the Corps if you're not looking to fight. If you want to get a real job and all that I don't blame ya. You might as well go over to a branch that actually has a budget and you will pick up rank quicker, and be treated better, etc. Then you can decide if you want to stay in or get out and have a job skill.

If you were looking to go infantry, I'd tell you to be a Marine.

Anything else, any other branch. Air Force is my first advice to anyone looking for a job skill set, then Navy.

Teniente 02-10-2013 02:14 PM

Do your history research...........they have been fighting in Afghanistan forever.....either against "foreigners" or among themselves. Afghanistan is a tribal state country.......lots of infighting between "family" tribes.......that's why it will never be peaceful there.

If you are interested in joining the military, you should look past the military for your civilian employment goals......not many jobs out there for a mortar crewman or a machine gunner. Find/qualify for a military job with a civilian counterpart.....there are hundreds.

BuzzardsGottaEat 02-10-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teniente (Post 6417050)
not many jobs out there for a mortar crewman or a machine gunner.

Word.

Fiend13 02-10-2013 02:22 PM

It really is basically going to come down what job you want to do. My advice, like the above posters, is to find a job that has a place in the civilian world as well. There are tons of people who join not knowing if they want to make it a career and only do one term and separate. If that's your plan then don't pick a military specific job. But like Buzzard said, if you're not willing/ready to fight then don't go into the corps. Your best bet would be either AF or Navy. I've been in the AF over 6 years now and only deployed once but I volunteered for it.

MGMTacolover55 02-10-2013 08:55 PM

I wouldn't be doing infantry I would be looking into the mechanic field or the engineering side of the military

BuzzardsGottaEat 02-10-2013 08:57 PM

Navy has good mechs.