Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Military (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/military/)
-   -   4 years active then going to guard.. (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/military/269546-4-years-active-then-going-guard.html)

oldblue1968chevy 03-22-2013 06:34 PM

4 years active then going to guard..

Been active duty AF for a little over a year, don't quite know what im going to do when my enlistment runs out..

If I decide to stay in maintenance the guard unit in Knoxville TN has the 135's.

How would I smoothly cross from active duty to guard..

thanks..

STOCKTRD 03-22-2013 10:15 PM

Its actually a really easy process. You can do a Palace Chase after your enlistment and transfer from active right into the guard with a no break in service. You could also try for a Palace Front, you would be released early from active duty before your enlistment is done( not sure if they still do this). Best thing to do is contact the guard recruiter of the until and see if there are any slots open in your AFSC. I did the same thing, did 4 years active duty as a 135 maintainer and joined a guard unit that had 135s. Great thing is I didnt need to start over and learn a new airframe. I walked right into my guard shop fully qualified ready to go.

oldblue1968chevy 03-22-2013 10:20 PM

That's exactly what im thinking. So start via contacting guard recruiter? When should I make contact (have just under 3 years left) lol

STOCKTRD 03-22-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy (Post 6632990)
That's exactly what im thinking. So start via contacting guard recruiter? When should I make contact (have just under 3 years left) lol

If your serious then give the guard recruiter a call, they should be able to give you more info.

Drummer0247 03-28-2013 02:16 PM

i belive you can actually palace chase and get into the guard before your enlistment is up depending on you career field....just something to think about....

enigmadsm 04-22-2013 01:44 AM

you can palace chase once you hit the halfway point of you enlistment....You will have to apply (via the guard recruiter or reserve recruiter if you prefer them) takes about a month to hear back of approval or not

you can request a separation date up to 180 days from your application date. so really, if you sign a 4yr enlistment...at 18 months you can apply.

once you get approved you and your recruiter will have 30 days to find a unit that has space for you to join. might have to cross train, or move to a location farther than you prefer.

I did it...palace chased after almost 5 years, and the guard has been awesome....noone in my active unit knew shit about the process, it is best to just discuss with your guard recruiter on base to get the ball rolling....Definitely give your supervisor a heads up before you go through with the application

TacomaG26 04-22-2013 01:52 AM

Go after what you want, with all the cuts the AF is letting people out with not much problem, also there are 135s here aswell.

fou 04-27-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy (Post 6631916)
Been active duty AF for a little over a year, don't quite know what im going to do when my enlistment runs out..

If I decide to stay in maintenance the guard unit in Knoxville TN has the 135's.

How would I smoothly cross from active duty to guard..

thanks..

If you need any contact info for Knoxville, let me know.