1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just got Sworn into the Military

Discussion in 'Military' started by ChamYota, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    ChamYota

ChamYota [OP] Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    As of yesterday, I'm officially a solider for the US Army National Guard.

I took the ASVAB for the first time yesterday and made a 90, apparently its a good score. lol

For my MOS i chose Infantry. Why? I want to get the Montgomery GI bill for my future little ones and it was the only MOS i could get the Basic + AIT (14 weeks) done in time to get back to Clemson in the fall for college. I joined the ARMY ROTC at my college as well, so i'll be commissioned as an officer when i graduate. I plan on going national guard full time though so the schloarship im applying for will pay for all of my tuition and fees so the LIFE scholarship i earned (2.5K/Semester) will go directly to my pocket, freakin sweet because the first year of college almost took all my moneies and my bank account will be relieved to see it. lol :p

Just wanted to let my TW brothers/sisters know as well as meet the Military members of TW as well!

After basic+AIT im going to change my MOS to Counterintelligence as i have a high enough score to get that job.

Just another step on my journey on becoming an FBI agent in the future.

My summer vacation is now non existent and will be spent over in GA at Fort Ben.

Of course once i receive all my other benefits that come with the scholarship(stipend, drill pay ect). ill store some money away and resume my build. :D

:woot:

Ship date: 05/01/13

2. Apr 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Dude, basic plus ait is not that important. Take to counter intel mos now while you can, I will be harder to change after you're in. AIT is just gonna teach you more MOS related jobs that you will be doing for infantry. Going through that ThEN changing is kinda pointless not to mention the difficulties with changing. Getting out of infantry will be like pulling teeth cause everybody wants to get out of when they find out how much time they spend in field training. Plus, my opinion witb ifantry is it is almost usleless in civilian life. Like when you get out of the Army, how many companies will be hiring trained killers?...... Thats food for thought there. I strongly recommend, if you are able, change that MOS now rather than later.

3. Apr 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road

OMG that looks like I drank way too much...... I hate this phone and keyboard, my last phone was much better than this one.......

4. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Cool man congratulations! Thank You!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  5. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    mountainman94

mountainman94 awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    A Place of Higher Learning
    Vehicle:
    '98 TRD SR5
    5100's/Eibach coils; 2 inch toytech AAL, Black Pacer 15x8 wheels, 32x11.5 BFG AT K/Os
    That's awesome! Thank you, and the best of luck to you wherever you end up.

6. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    x2. Take this advice if you want as it's only an opinion but I'm US Army retired as of 2006. I was infantry and it's very hard to change once you are locked in.....that does not just apply to 11B. You may be able to do it once you reach the "Captains career course". To change MOS's you will have to go back to an MOSQ. All this info is out there, look it up...your recruiter is feeding you bullshit to make his number. On a diff note... THANK YOU for the service/ journey you are about to embark on... Good Luck, Congrats.

7. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    I would take the counter-intel MOS but there were no more spots left. I Had the option to wait till next summer but i've got plans for an internship next summer. I had just 15 weeks(summer vacation) till school started back up. I wanted to pick something that i could do in a summer and finish completely to put myself better off. I'm still in college and with college starting back up in the fall, i'll be going a weekend a month to drill. I can change MOS as long as there's a spot, and I dont receive a bonus for doing my particular MOS, which getting a bonus for infantry is little to none chance. I dont plan on leaving the guard until i get my 20 years. I'll relocate to different parts of this country if i have to, its not that i made this decision in a hurry.

When i get commissioned as an officer, i'll be able to pick a different MOS if i haven't already switched. I'll have to go to AIT again next summer if i have too, but thats more experiences, and money for me. No problems there.

Appreciate the input fellas, i appreciate the input and welcome more.

8. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    Yeah man, get a good job going in, don't try to switch. It's possible but a pain in the dick. Try uav operator! Bank on the outside, especially when they open up the national airspace.

9. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    JTaco386

JTaco386 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Congrats! But you should have initially took the counterintelligence Job. You can always start school in the spring semester and still do ROTC. Are you under SMP for ROTC? I have a couple of guard cadets in ROTC with me now who are under the SMP. Don't plan on going full time guard as a 2LT. Those slots are very hard to come by, if they're even available.

10. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    I could start school in the spring.. but i want to graduate and get my school done as soon as possible. I will SMP for ROTC when i get back from basic.

11. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    X2 on what everyone said. But it is your journey and you will find a way to get were you want to be.

Good Luck and Thank you!

12. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    TacomaSportLB

TacomaSportLB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dad
    Chambersburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB MGM 4x4
    YWM, Front 5100's @ 2.5", Rear 5100's, 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, Safety Rack, Fog Light Anytime, DRL Switch, Differential Breather Mod, UWS TBSD63ALPB ToolBox, AMP Research BedStep, Bedrug Tailgate Mat, aFe Air Filter, Dee Zee Heavyweight Bed Mat, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Auto Ventshade In-Channel Ventvisors, Stant Locking Fuel Cap, Plasti Dipped Badges
    dude, congrats., but might as well became a tanker then you coulda been both infantry and a tanker and had more fun shooting shit up !

13. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    How do you know you wont be deployed when that internship is suppose to start?

Also I would agree with everyone else in getting the job you want from the start. The recruiter will try and say that you cant change and all that but untill you get on the last bus the basic you can still change jobs.

14. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    SMP with the College ROTC program, tied down with them till my school is over.

I am in college currently and until my contract with Clemson's Army ROTC program expires, which will be when my college life is over.

15. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Congrats Cam.

I'd take the word of some of the veterans here, before a recruiter. Unless you see it in black and white, it was never said.

16. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Miss Susan :eek:

I am, believe me, im speaking with my recruiter as we speak.

.-. Just more things that life throws at me.

17. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    This is the most true statement EVER written in the history of all writing...when it comes to the military.

18. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    It's not too late, you haven't left for basic yet, tell them you're not going to basic unless you can talk to meps about the job you would rather have (if there is another job you think you may be more interested in) they will let you go back, it's there job. You're supposedly not officially in until you arriveat basic training. Also, don't count ongoing straight from basic to infantry school immediately, the arms loves putting people on "hold" where you just sit for weeks and wait for a class

19. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    I'm just speaking with my detective (He's an O-5) USAR, and he was nat'l guard too. He said the SMP program is 2-3 times harder than just straight ROTC and getting commisioined as active for a couple years. Just an option.

20. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    johnnychimpo711

johnnychimpo711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    23 PreRunner SR5
    Removed the dealer tag holder…that’s it.
    Hey ChamYota,
    First off, congratulations. You just got your foot in the door to a great career opportunity. I wish you luck during your OSUT to become an infantryman. I'm not quite sure how the National Guard works, because I'm active, but I know you should be able to direct commission after you complete your degree at Clemson. I'm not sure exactly HOW all that works, (nor do I claim to be an expert) but you might want to talk to your Commander on the ground there if you have any questions. I looked into going commissioned, but went Warrant instead (silent professionals).
    I hope you have done your homework and get everything you want out of the green machine. I've been at it for 10 years, looking forward to 15+ more, and don't regret a minute of it. It's can be a very rewarding career, but it is what you make of it. Best wishes, and congratulations!

Ryan

Products Discussed in

To Top