Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Military (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/military/)
-   -   Suggestions for Army Boots in Afhghanistan.... (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/military/273696-suggestions-army-boots-afhghanistan.html)

vball6pac 04-17-2013 06:02 PM

Suggestions for Army Boots in Afhghanistan....

I am in the the window with the opportunity to "Hop the Pond", and support my fellow Brethren. I am trying to find out what would be a good set of boots for the trip.....Comfort is huge since I'll be on my feet, and traveling alot, and also durability........I like to have 2-3 pairs, so I look forward to the expertise of those here.....Not sure if it matters, but I'm not a small guy......Currently standing at 6'3", @ 255#.......

I appreciate any input........

On another note, I've already started writing down my wish list for upgrades(nice being single, and all I have to worry about is me and my truck:D:D:D:D:D:D), any suggestions will be appreciated, and looked over....

Thanks in advance to all......

ross123 04-17-2013 06:54 PM

If your unit allows you to wear civilian boots I highly recommend asolo fugitives. Best boots I've ever worn. If you can't wear civilian boots I've heard lowa zephyr's are great.

GreatBasinTaco 04-17-2013 07:02 PM

a lot of guys like the danner's. They have a military style 8" boot and more of a hiking type coyote tan boot (can't remember the name of them. I have them and love them. A bunch of the guys were wearing hiking style boots and like them due to low weight and greater flexibility.

Nirvana 04-19-2013 07:21 AM

I've seen a little bit of everything. Pretty much can't go wrong with Danner's and I've heard the Nike boots are comfy but I wasn't going to drop the cash on them for a 1 year dep. when I have 2 perfectly good pairs of GI boots.

teamamerica 04-19-2013 07:24 AM

if you're a fobbit like this me, get the nike SFB's. it's like having tennis shoes on. but if you go out and about you'll tear them up quick.

SpeedoJosh 04-19-2013 09:15 PM

Garmonts or Nikes. I guarantee you can't tear up the Garmonts. I've put mine through 2 years of shiz, and they still are holding up strong.

Get the nikes for daily strolling, but toss on the Garmonts if you're rucking or plan to be in some shitty terrain, as the nikes get slippery.

Link for image of Garmonts >>> http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/t8ta...otgarmont.aspx

/thread

Reeves 04-19-2013 09:23 PM

Garmonts.

teamamerica 04-19-2013 09:24 PM

you'll also be issued ankle high boots at RFI

TrdSurgie 04-19-2013 09:40 PM

Go to the stoe and try some on...... Get whats comfortable for you....

mlittle 04-19-2013 09:50 PM

I found that the Blackhawk boots were the most comfortable boots that I've ever used. Danner TFXs are nice as well.

Xer0 SiN 04-20-2013 12:37 AM

the oakleys and the nikes are pretty good. for me i always liked the belleville gortex boots, and they were standard issue. win!

Baum 04-20-2013 12:59 AM

I had Nike's throughout my entire deployment to Afghanistan, they do wear down quiet a bit but they are damn comfy and lite!
Here is a link:
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...KW_091212_GPLA

Baum 04-20-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamamerica (Post 6769619)
you'll also be issued ankle high boots at RFI

I could not stand those boots from RFI! I thought they were ugly and uncomfortable. BUT, they did come handy in the snow, then again they were horrible on ice.

mlittle 04-20-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xer0 SiN (Post 6770143)
the oakleys and the nikes are pretty good. for me i always liked the belleville gortex boots, and they were standard issue. win!

I hate the warm weather boots that were issued out, but the Gortex boots are nice. I use my older pairs for hunting since they fit well and they're fairly lightweight.

slingshot5r 04-20-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross123 (Post 6757617)
If your unit allows you to wear civilian boots I highly recommend asolo fugitives. Best boots I've ever worn. If you can't wear civilian boots I've heard lowa zephyr's are great.

LOWA ZEPHYR'S FTW!!!! These are great boots. I wore them during my last deployment and I HIGHLY recommend them. They will last and they feel like running shoes. Asolo's are great and they will also last but in my opinion the Lowas are a lot more comfortable. I think you will be happy with either of these two. Good luck, stay safe and check your corner man.

miniceptor86 04-20-2013 03:21 AM

Thank you all for your service.

LennyTheLip 04-20-2013 05:15 AM

I wear Bates Ultralights as an everyday duty boot, and they're awesome. Last long, very light, and I believe you can get them in tan or desert camo. Another good one is the Oakley SI Assault boot. Little pricier, but an amazingly comfortable boot, available in tan, camo, and several heights. Big plus: go to US Standard Issue. Its Oakley's LEO, Military, and First Responder website. Scan and email a copy of your ID, and everything is roughly 40%-50% off retail prices. Best of luck over there.

hoarder23 04-25-2013 01:20 AM

I wore Oakleys in the summer and Danner Acadias in the winter. Was very happy with both.

TacomaG26 04-25-2013 01:24 AM

I love my Altamas but i Rocky SV2s are nice aswell

TacoIII 04-25-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacomaG26 (Post 6795095)
I love my Altamas but i Rocky SV2s are nice aswell

Beat me to it! I have the S2V's and I love them. Going on 2.5 yrs and the have held up better than any boot I have seen my tread is worn where I walk thats the only sign of wear.