1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

might be joining the marines

Discussion in 'Military' started by ClemsonTacoma, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Jun 29, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    hey guys & gals,
    im thinking about joining the marines when i get out of highschool , do yall think this would be good for me?

2. Jun 29, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  3. Jun 29, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Its a tough life but I think it will mature you quickly and possibly give you skills for a great job should you decide to get out after your first enlistment.

I intended to only sign up for 4 years but I had a awesome job, learned some great skills, got my degree while on active duty, got to see the world which I had no chance of before, and made some lifetime friends. I made a career out of it, got out, and now have a great job.

Good luck,

4. Jun 29, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    oh yeah i want to be either a police officer or fire fighter for a career

5. Jun 29, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    military is definately a good thing. i signed up for 4 years, got out in 3, got my associates before i left, stayed civilian for 3 years, then got into the NC air guard. nothing i would change. i got education, training, and a skillset to use when i got out.

6. Jun 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    And a sweet truck to boot. :cheers:

7. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Yup, but remember to think things through completely. I know you are young (look at my age and that should mean something). I am in the same boat, I have debated and debated going into the military and seeked a lot of advice from TW members who have been where I am right now.

I have decided to wait until I finished college, then try for the job I want and if I don't get it then I will join the military as an officer. Just don't rush into anything because it is a long commitment that you are stuck with if you donot like it!

8. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    haha...thx

x2. i've always heard that the AF has taken care of its people better than some of the other branches. not only that, but make sure that you sign for the specific job you want...go OPEN nothing. if they cant get you any job that you actually want, hold off until its available. dont jump into an open contract for them to stick you anywhere they want.

9. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Thats what I have heard. You might remember I want to do intelligence, and since the air force doesn't offer what I want, I decided to wait and maybe go marines, or straight into a 3 letter agency. My brother works in intelligence (straight out of grad school) and about half his co workers are ex air force.

10. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:14 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Depends on what you want to go in for...
    1 you feel its your calling?
    2 just something youve always wanted to do?
    3 set yourself up for life? as in get 4 to 8 years experience in something or even just money for school...
    4 your family was in it?
    5 make a career out of it?

It all depends on your reasons for going in. dont take it lightly and talk to a bunch of prior Marines(if you decide a different service then talk to guys in that service), not the disgruntled ones of course, this will help you to decide what MOS (military occupation specialty) to choose.

The Marine Corps or any service for that matter is good for anyone starting out in life. it gives you strucure and opens you eyes to the rest of the "world"(people and places). Always let someone from that service know what the recruiter is telling you. they will shed a lot of light on what he is trying to sell you.

Give a bit more info and we can help you out a bit more.

11. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L

what do u want to do that AF intel doesnt? i worked network support in an intel facility at shaw afb and they had a TON of folks in all sorts of positions there

12. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    I'm not against the military but not really for it either, if it's something you feel will help you then go for it! But if you're questioning it when you're there signing a few years to them then do not go for it.

13. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    i joined the navy right out of high school and it was the best decision i could have made. It has given me a lot and i love my job. I mean who doesnt like to fly around and stay in hotels all the time. Its a great experience. And if you do your 4 years and its not for you, you still leave with a lot of knowledge and tons of money for college. I think everyone should atleast try it. You never know till you experience it.

14. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    ...and please do it for yourself. Don't sign to impress someone. Don't do it to catch someone's eye. I did AF and I enjoyed it. Did my 4 years and at the end of that, it was the times of the workforce reductions. I had a few days to think about it and seeing that I wasn't gonna get anything other than Del Rio Texas (where I already was) I boogied out. I kick myself everyday thinking about the would of,could of,should of.

Take a trip to the local VA hospital or the VFW and chew the fat with a veteran. You'll get stories and opinions. It's not all John Wayne or Clint Eastwood.

Good luck, take your time.

15. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    as for the 4 years...jsut remeber this. you actually sign for 8 years. do 4 active an dthen you go home and can be recalled for the next 4 years. I walways told my friends to just stay in fro 4 more and do a non deployable B-billet and take a break for a while. maybe see a different side of the service to better decide your future. they didnt listen and got comfy for a year or so in thier civilian lives and then got recalled. just a little tip

16. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L

that's the good thing about AF. i took a 3 year break in service on IRR and didnt get called.

17. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Dbl cab long bed.
    Hood Strusts, remote Start, truck came with Leveling kit and wheels.
    damn civi

18. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    one more reason to research every service before you commit. see what they have to offer and remember that a signing bonus will be gone one day and you will still be in!

19. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L

HEY HEY!!!! i'm still guard!! lol i like making better money than active, have my freedom, and yet still be affiliated to the military...dont hate...haha. still waiting to make GS as well

20. Jun 29, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    yes its worth it :D

Products Discussed in

To Top