Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Military (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/military/)
-   -   TSP.. Anyone Use it? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/military/55787-tsp-anyone-use.html)

AFButters 10-09-2009 06:10 PM

TSP.. Anyone Use it?

I have a TSP account and put a couple Hundred bucks away a month.. but geez.. It doenst seem to be doing anything for me right now with the economy still soo shitty

Caduceus 10-09-2009 06:29 PM

Yeah it isn't doing much now. But remember, the point is a retirement fund, so you shouldn't be worrying how it does NOW, but how it is in 20 years (or whenever you finally pull it out).

BTW, it's still at a better rate than most CDs and IRAs! Sad, huh?

EquinsuOcha 10-09-2009 06:35 PM

You gotta shift the money around in order for it to work for you. You just gotta find out which fund is doing better and transfer it constantly. When I worked for the government, I put in 5% and they matched up to 5%. After four years I got back just over 3k.

AFButters 10-09-2009 06:36 PM

Yea that is true.. I just dont like how I have put in $6700 over the past 3 years and its only worth $5900.. Ive lost 12% over the long run soo far

AFButters 10-09-2009 06:36 PM

i do transfer the funds about twice a year.. jsut with the economy soo shitty the past couple years.. its really hurt

A.D. 10-11-2009 05:36 PM

Should split it up. I have mine split a couple of ways and in certain areas you will always make money, while others you are gambling just like everyone else. I have only had mine for a couple of years now, and it is not worth anything less than i have put into it, it is worth more, not great amounts, but for the small amount of time i have in it, it has kept its own. I hope that it at least produces at the same rate it has since i have been putting away, because in another 10 yrs or so when i retire, it should be worth some money. But with that said, please don't let the TSP be your only source of savings, you should put into another form of investment if you want to retire from the armed forces and have a somewhat not so crappy retirement.

Our retirement checks, plus TSP, plus your own form of retirement funds, and probably some form of disability, should be decent enough(although probably quite small) to keep you from falling behind with a decent job when you get out, or at least be enough to cover the extra taxes you will be getting charged from landing a good job. 2 cents, and sorry for the long post.

09 Redneck 10-11-2009 05:44 PM

Been putting into mine for 20 years. Dont really have to worry about my future now. Have it all in the stock market. Yea I loose money some months but I make alot more in the long run.
Very good way to save and make money. Very usefull too if things come up. U pay urself back when you borrow money from it...

AFButters 10-11-2009 06:07 PM

I have mine split up between F, C, I & S funds..

JeffRock 10-11-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma (Post 1009976)
Yea that is true.. I just dont like how I have put in $6700 over the past 3 years and its only worth $5900.. Ive lost 12% over the long run soo far

You haven't lost anything, unless you pull out. When the stock market comes back up, It'll grow faster! And the point is retirement is a long ways away. So you will gain in the end.