Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Military (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/military/)
-   -   Coast Guard Auxilary (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/military/72938-coast-guard-auxilary.html)

Jason'sLawnCare 02-01-2010 02:37 PM

Coast Guard Auxilary
 
Is/was anybody in it? Do you recommend it? I'm trying to find out more. I have a meeting with a auxiliary recruiter and curious if it's something I really want to get into. I love boats, being on the water, and helping people.

Thanks,
Jason

I'm aware the title is spelt wrong. I noticed it too late. If the mods want to change it it would be appreciated.

Jason'sLawnCare 02-02-2010 01:40 PM

Anybody?

ForeRunner 02-02-2010 01:59 PM

I'm active Coast Guard and see a bunch of them around on base. I can't offer much right now but I'll ask around and see what I can dig up.

Flip_Pallot 02-02-2010 02:01 PM

Just a bunch of old people driving around in their boats. Honestly, if they ever encounter any issue on the water, they just radio to us to come deal with it. I might catch some flack for this but that's how it is.

Jason'sLawnCare 02-02-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken (Post 1384559)
I'm active Coast Guard and see a bunch of them around on base. I can't offer much right now but I'll ask around and see what I can dig up.

Awesome. Thanks that would be appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flip_Pallot (Post 1384566)
Just a bunch of old people driving around in their boats. Honestly, if they ever encounter any issue on the water, they just radio to us to come deal with it. I might catch some flack for this but that's how it is.

Also thanks. Hmmmm. I may have to rethink this then.

Brunes 02-02-2010 02:44 PM

Flip is pretty right- There are some really strong flotillas that do alot of community service/outreach and support their local stations alot...but there are some flotillas that are a bunch of older folks with boats hanging out on weekends.

Coast Guard Reserve might be an option- Reserves do the whole "One weekend a month, Two weekends a year" thing and they can do more. Actually get in and get some training/qualifications and get the chance to use them with active Coast Guard units.

Kilted will probably have been info...but I think you might not be as interested as you think

Jason'sLawnCare 02-02-2010 02:53 PM

I don't know if I want to get that involved though. I don't want to be too busy with school and lawns. Plus I'm 17 so I don't even know if I'm eligible for the reserves.

cmack 02-02-2010 02:59 PM

Subscribed. :popcorn:

Flip_Pallot 02-02-2010 04:43 PM

Honestly man, seeing as you are in Jacksonville, I know most of the aux guys in our area...they are the old ones who just cruise around. I don't think I've ever seen someone under 45 in it, in our area. Don't think its what your looking for. If you love being on boats and in the water we can just go fishing together sometime lol.

Jason'sLawnCare 02-02-2010 04:48 PM

Haha. Thanks. but I won't get community service hours that way. I mean I could get them elsewhere but I figured I would do something that interests me.

I've got a meeting with a guy on weds so I'll pick his brain and see if it's really what I want to do.

Mark C. 02-02-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare (Post 1385245)
Haha. Thanks. but I won't get community service hours that way. I mean I could get them elsewhere but I figured I would do something that interests me.

I've got a meeting with a guy on weds so I'll pick his brain and see if it's really what I want to do.

That's probably your best choice. Ask the questions you want answered. I'm sure that they will be up front with you.

Jason'sLawnCare 02-02-2010 04:53 PM

Thanks. Being that you're in the Navy do they have anything similar?

Mark C. 02-02-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare (Post 1385265)
Thanks. Being that you're in the Navy do they have anything similar?

There is the Navy League with chapters all over the world....and they are mostly older business men who try to help out sailors visiting their cities/regions. They are most active in cities with bases/installations there. They work to get military discounts, and such. Not really much to do directly with the Navy.
There are Sea Scouts...but you are already too old to join, I believe and I'm guessing that you are beyond the sea-going boy scout age and mentality.
Sorry....not much to offer there.

I'm positive that there is a chapter of the Navy League in Jacksonville

BOX 02-02-2010 05:05 PM

Yes you can join the Reserves at 17 even active if your parents let you sign up. But like everyone else said most of the auxiliary is older like your grandpa age. I spent 3 days with them this summer when my command sent me to do boat operation with them. Most of them are real nice but you better have a lot of time to listen to their stories. I have been active and in the reserve and i like both. If you want help paying for college than it may be worth look in to.

Jason'sLawnCare 02-02-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark C. (Post 1385284)
There is the Navy League with chapters all over the world....and they are mostly older business men who try to help out sailors visiting their cities/regions. They are most active in cities with bases/installations there. They work to get military discounts, and such. Not really much to do directly with the Navy.
There are Sea Scouts...but you are already too old to join, I believe and I'm guessing that you are beyond the sea-going boy scout age and mentality.
Sorry....not much to offer there.

I'm positive that there is a chapter of the Navy League in Jacksonville

Awesome. I'll do some research about it. I bet there is something here to. I live like 20 minutes from NAS Jax.

Mark C. 02-02-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare (Post 1385297)
Awesome. I'll do some research about it. I bet there is something here to. I live like 20 minutes from NAS Jax.

Maybe this can get you started, Jason:

http://www.nljax.com/

Jason'sLawnCare 02-02-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOX (Post 1385294)
Yes you can join the Reserves at 17 even active if your parents let you sign up. But like everyone else said most of the auxiliary is older like your grandpa age. I spent 3 days with them this summer when my command sent me to do boat operation with them. Most of them are real nice but you better have a lot of time to listen to their stories. I have been active and in the reserve and i like both. If you want help paying for college than it may be worth look in to.

Thanks. Yeah I don't know if my parents would want me to do that or if I'm ready.

I like speaking to the older crowd, they have some good stories. Time is also a concern of mine but when I spoke to the local gentleman on the phone he said you can be as involved as you'd like.

Jason'sLawnCare 02-02-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark C. (Post 1385308)
Maybe this can get you started, Jason:

http://www.nljax.com/

Appreciate the link. After reading it it seems more like they do fund raisers and such. I'm more interested in doing something more active out in the field type thing if that makes sense.

ForeRunner 02-02-2010 05:14 PM

On joining the Coast Guard... Good luck, they are cutting the crap out of recruitment. More of the more with less money, less people and older equipment.

My wife is a reservist and has volunteered for at least a 1/2 dozen solicitations with the response "I can't authorize it, there's no funding to support an EAD position for you, sorry."

Jason'sLawnCare 02-02-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken (Post 1385336)
On joining the Coast Guard... Good luck, they are cutting the crap out of recruitment. More of the more with less money, less people and older equipment.

My wife is a reservist and has volunteered for at least a 1/2 dozen solicitations with the response "I can't authorize it, there's no funding to support an EAD position for you, sorry."

That's sad. I'm looking forward to when the economy turns around so crap like this can stop.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:53 AM.