Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails > Moab

Notices

2011 TW Moab trip

Old 07-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
"Its go time, baby!"
Shawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to behold

Name: Shawn
Shawneily's Tacoma Gallery
2011 TW Moab trip

Hey!

So here we are! The Moab meet n greet/trail run/trip for TW! I would have named it that but Moab is more than just trails. Its a fun place to experience and visit, very unique...maybe should have named it Moab Vacation right?

Ha ha anyways, In this thread we can plan it out and get all details sorted out so we can get this Moab party started. such as making reservations, taking time off, and seeing who all wants to go.

note: I put the thread in the Southwest because thats where Moab is, but anyone else is welcome to come so dont let the regional post make you not wanna come.

So... to get it started here are my ideas

-May trip, 3-5 days.
-Slickrock campgrounds? or any other suggestion
-couple guides

lets hear em!

Thanks!

List of Attendees:

1. Shawneily (Shawn) +1
2. Manlaan (Greg)
3. Hermit (Don)
4. Taco505 (Alex)
5. JasoTaco (Jason)
6. WW_FIREFIGHTER (Danny)
7. rhys
8. BirdTRD (Greg)
9. Fsbrain03 (Brian)

List of Maybes:

1. 1337Taco (Kevin) + NorCal members
2. lrgrnr
3. OCaron (Owen) +1 from San Diego
4. JanBoothius
5. quattrokiwi (Bruce)
6. w3tw0rks (Alvin)
7. Dark Knight
8. HbMurphy (Paul)
9. stroM- (Jason)
10.sierrahsky - (josh)
Old 07-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
First things first. When...

Looks like the Jeep Safari 2011 is on April 16-24, so I think we should avoid those +- a week. The first weekend in April doesn't sound awful to me and hopefully would be early enough to beat the early arrivals. I'm not sure what the temperatures are like in March there, but it wouldn't surprise me if it got down near freezing. There's always May as well.

Saturday and Sunday, being weekends, are natural days to do this due to jobs, but I dont know if we have any religious people here. I'm not at all, but living here all my life, I do understand if people would prefer not to do it on Sunday. I dont want to put anyone on the spot, but if scheduling anything for Sunday is going to stop someone from feeling like they can attend, it should probably be out in the open from the start. Even if doing the trails isn't ok for Sunday, would driving back on Sunday be ok?

That way, we could do a Thursday - Sunday trip and give us Friday and Saturday to play around (and restaurants wont be closed except on the day we leave).

Thoughts?

As far as location, Slick Rock sounds good to me. It even lets me wimp out and stay in a cabin, so I'm good with that. It looks like there are 3 motels less than a mile away, so its all good if people dont want to ruff it in a tent.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
"Its go time, baby!"
Shawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to behold

when I went at the beginning of april this year it was in the 50's to 60's a little cool.. pretty cold at night and when you woke up...I was thinking may as well so everyone that goes to school will be done..possibly middle of may or end of may...

If my girlfriend comes along I might be staying a cabin/motel too so haha..shes not a big fan of tents and dirt/sand.. but even if we all stayed at different locations, its a small town so wouldnt take long to meet up somewhere.

I went fri-sun which was good.. I suggested the 4th day because I wanted to do more but couldnt(work).. I wouldnt even mind 4-5 days..

I updated the first post as well to include a list as well.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe we can get some Nor Cal representation out there. I will keep you updated.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Dependent, pops was a Major
Name: Alex
Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
im down as hell!! just bought an 89 4runner and takin my first wheelin trip next weekend for the "4 corners meet & greet", but im sure us New Mexico guys would be more than down to make a trip out there. ill post a link on our local thread and see what everyone thinks.

on another note im in school as well i think mid to the end of may would be best for me and the other local guys, if it must be earlier im sure we all can make arrangements but thats just my .02 we have a little less than a year to plan haha
Old 07-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawneily View Post
when I went at the beginning of april this year it was in the 50's to 60's a little cool.. pretty cold at night and when you woke up...I was thinking may as well so everyone that goes to school will be done..possibly middle of may or end of may...

If my girlfriend comes along I might be staying a cabin/motel too so haha..shes not a big fan of tents and dirt/sand.. but even if we all stayed at different locations, its a small town so wouldnt take long to meet up somewhere.

I went fri-sun which was good.. I suggested the 4th day because I wanted to do more but couldnt(work).. I wouldnt even mind 4-5 days..

I updated the first post as well to include a list as well.
I was looking at the temps this last april and it looked really strange. Highs of 70s then 50s then back up to 70s. I didn't even think about school, so May is good, although theres a good chance we'll be seeing 80s and 90s during the day. Bring plenty of water.

I'm up for 5 days or whatever you want to do. Not really a big deal for me unless I'm at the end of a big project during that time. My only concern were for those that had to schedule vacation time with their work, but even if someone were only able to make it a few of the days (leaving early or coming late), it really shouldn't be a big deal since we'll be staying in town anyway. Of course they'll miss out a bit, but some fun is better than no fun.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
Hermit is on a distinguished road
Hermit's Tacoma Gallery
Im in absolutely....

May would be great (April could even be to "wet" and chilly).

I'm planning on a week to 10 days so I can recon some of the Canyonlands and Manti-LaSal areas as long as Im down there.

Im basically retired and no family (but the 2 dogs), so Ill be there whenever. Since I have a lot of time I can help with the planning, researching, and permitting stuff.

I am going to ask my slickrock buddy to come - but between his job and 2-wheel desert racing, he might not have the time. If he does come he would be an excellent guide - he actually knows the easiest lines thru just about every mile of the trails there.

Im planning on having some decent upgrades by then, and thinking it would be wise to get a count on winches and support equipment. I expect to have a warn 8000, and a light duty compressor, but I am not planning on a aux welding system or major tools and major spare parts. So pretty much planning on the more difficult, but not destructive sort of wheeling.

Sounds awesome... H
Old 07-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
Hermit is on a distinguished road
Hermit's Tacoma Gallery
One quick question about what difficulty system to describe trails with?

I didn't mean to confuse when I brought up the Red Rock Wheelers system (rr4w.com) in the first thread, but their descriptions of ledge heights and such, was helpful for me, and quite accurate of what I've seen down there. Also their list of trails seems better than most and they are using the 1-to-10, so I wanted to note it for others.

The 1-to-4 standard is how I'm used to thinking, but the rr4w.com 1-to-10 rating works a bit better to describe the Moab terrain. What will you all be using so I can be on the same page... thanks... Don
Old 07-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #9

Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Im planning on having some decent upgrades by then, and thinking it would be wise to get a count on winches and support equipment. I expect to have a warn 8000, and a light duty compressor, but I am not planning on a aux welding system or major tools and major spare parts. So pretty much planning on the more difficult, but not destructive sort of wheeling.
I'm probably a bit overboard, but this is the stuff I'm planning on bringing (pretty much the same stuff I take on any road trip):
-Warn 8000 wench
-tow straps / shackles / hitch mount shackle
-shovel / axe / saw
-set of cheap tools: socket, wrench, screwdriver, pliers, hammer, basic electrical stuff (wire/tape/connectors), pry bar, rags, etc
-air compressor
-tire repair kit
-first aid kit
-fire extinguisher
-survival stuff: blanket, fire, knife, water, food, etc
-rope and ratcheting straps
-jump start battery
-wood (couple pieces of 2x6)
-fluids (5w30, ATF, Coolant, Brake, Wiper, brake cleaner, gear oil)
-flashlight
-gloves
-pair of FRS Radios

Still plan to get:
-jumper cables
-hilift jack
-snatch block
-recovery strap

In addition, I plan on bringing a 5 gal can of gas and a 5 gal can of water.

Now as far as what I think should be required by everyone:
1. Plenty of water. We're in the desert after all.
2. Spare tire. (and please check that spare tire thats been sitting unused for 5 years actually has air in it)

Additional items that would be helpful.
1. First aid kit. Simple first aid supplies. Never a bad idea to have anyway.

2. Air compressor. If we have to air down due to loose sand, its going to take quite a while to air back up (My little MF-1050 will take about 10 min for 4 tires according to what others say, assuming it doesn't over heat and need to rest). The more air compressors we have, the better. Battery clip on type perferred over cig lighter versions due to speed.

3. Radios. FRS radios are pretty cheap and should work ok.

4. Gloves. rocks, sage brush, cactus, etc.

5. Any thing else you can think that might be helpful (more or less... better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it)
Old 07-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Dependent, pops was a Major
Name: Alex
Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
dang way out doin me! as far as things that ill have here it goes.

-cb radio
-shovel, ax
-some fire wood
-5gal gas
-water
-extra tent if some one needs it
-maybe by then ill have an air locker with a compressor so fillin up tires wont be a problem
-little first aid kit, jumper cables
-small tools like a ratchet

anyway im sure ill come up with other stuff along the way!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
"Its go time, baby!"

Good idea.. Ill put a list up of essentials that everyone needs to bring to make everything go smoothly while getting ready for the trails and on the trails.

As far as tires go, I usually air mine down to 20, seemed to work for my 31's pretty good, didnt have any issues on the trail. I would just recommend everyone have a pressure gauge to air down tires, as far as airing them back up, compressors would make it quick, but there is tons of gas stations in town to air them back up when we leave.

Heres my list that I usually take

- First aid kit
- Tons of water, especially if your in a tent it comes in handy for brushing teeth, washing hands, etc...
- Strap ( any will work, tow or recovery ), this came in handy for the chevy I had to pull up porcupine rim
- FRS Radio (2)
- Shovel, gloves, rope, chains
- Survival Kit
- Bringing a high lift jack this time around
Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
rhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: helo electrician
rhys's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed. ill make it if i can!

hope this is HUGE. ive been waiting for a nationwide TW meet.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Wow!!! All the way next May huh??!! Hey Shawn, count me in too. I should still be around so I would love to go!!! Yeah and we should def make it at least a few days.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
"Its go time, baby!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys View Post
subscribed. ill make it if i can!

hope this is HUGE. ive been waiting for a nationwide TW meet.
Better be able to! its going to be awsome. Theres enough room for ALOT of tacomas in Moab so hopefully its huge.. even if we have alot of people we can do two or more goups for each trail and just rotate with a couple guides. it will be fun either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER
Wow!!! All the way next May huh??!! Hey Shawn, count me in too. I should still be around so I would love to go!!! Yeah and we should def make it at least a few days.
Yeah I now, almost a year away. This would just everyone time to get ready, get the time off a year in advance so we can have a really good turnout. I mean Im down to go whenever
Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #17
"Its go time, baby!"

This fall?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #19
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
Maybe we can get some Nor Cal representation out there. I will keep you updated.
x2, pending dates - I would totally love to come!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #20
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Fall!