Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails > Moab

Notices

Official Weekend UTAH Moab trip.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
"Its go time, baby!"
Shawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to behold

Name: Shawn
Shawneily's Tacoma Gallery
Official Weekend UTAH Moab trip.

This is the Official thread for my Halloween weekend trip. This is where you can ask me any question you want about this trip.

We will be meeting at the 7-11 right across the street from the Exxon gas station in draper around 7:00 a.m where we can fuel up & grab all the goodies you want.

Here is the mapquest info for the gas station.

After this we will head for Moab which will take about 3-3 1/2 hours depending on how fast we drive .

My buddy always prefers to stop at the IHOP on the way and get some breakfast.. After driving for 3 hours in the morning its a MUST! So, we will go there. After breakfast we will get settled into wherever we are going to be staying for the night. Once we get all that figured out we can start some trails.

I will most likely change the thread from now until then, so keep posted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of Attendees:

1. Shawn Neily +1 (Rachel)
2. Taylor Scherbel (GUIDE) (non-member) +1?
3. Bry Scherbel (non-member) +1?
4. Jan Boothius +1?
5. Chad (Maybe)
6. William

Let me know in this thread if your going for sure or not. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
I will be there.

Is anyone else camping? I know a few nice spots to camp, away from people, with very beautiful views.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
"Its go time, baby!"
Shawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to beholdShawneily is a splendid one to behold

it has been done! Its gonna be fun!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
There are some pretty good spots to camp just off of Blue Hills Rd. by the airport too. Been camping along there a couple times. Plus, you get a nice alarm clock. Cargo planes fly into Canyonlands pretty early. =)
Best camping that I've had down there was way up Onion Creek. People tend to stick with the first couple sites but if you drive far up the trail there are some awesome secluded sites.

I might be heading down to Moab that weekend anyway. Maybe I'll come hang out for a bit if I have some extra time.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobias View Post
There are some pretty good spots to camp just off of Blue Hills Rd. by the airport too. Been camping along there a couple times. Plus, you get a nice alarm clock. Cargo planes fly into Canyonlands pretty early. =)
Best camping that I've had down there was way up Onion Creek. People tend to stick with the first couple sites but if you drive far up the trail there are some awesome secluded sites.

I might be heading down to Moab that weekend anyway. Maybe I'll come hang out for a bit if I have some extra time.
Any chance you could provide the lat/long of those campings spots near Onion Creek?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty easy to get to Onion Creek. Just take River Road up a few miles past all the BLM campgrounds and winery. Take a right on Onion Creek and my favorite campsites are about 20-30 mins up the road past where most people camp. There's one on the right side, right next to the creek, and has a roundabout and big fire pit.

Gotten drunk a few times at that spot. =)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...33.84,,0,11.52
Old 10-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobias View Post
Pretty easy to get to Onion Creek. Just take River Road up a few miles past all the BLM campgrounds and winery. Take a right on Onion Creek and my favorite campsites are about 20-30 mins up the road past where most people camp. There's one on the right side, right next to the creek, and has a roundabout and big fire pit.

Gotten drunk a few times at that spot. =)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...33.84,,0,11.52
Well, if you are down there that weekend, and plan on camping, you are more than welcome to camp with me. Either at your spot near Onion Creek, or the place I mentioned, a little past Potash, overlooking the Colorado River (very nice camping spot as well).
Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
"Its go time, baby!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post

Shawn: I am assuming the "maybe" next to my name is regarding my possible friend? I will definitely be there, "for sure"!!!
Yeah, I fixed it so now there is just a question mark next to the 1.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
tricty is on a distinguished road

Name: chad
tricty's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of trails are you looking for? I'm stock all the way for now until the funding is approved for my wallet.
but i would like to go for sure as long as i'm not drowned with homework that weekend.
also, i would probably be down for some camping but won't it be quite chilly at night?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
I drove past Moab on my road trip this year, I had been planning to check it out for years, waiting until I got a new truck that wouldn't let me down. After the diff blowing once, then the new one getting noisy, I guess It will have to wait till I get a new truck, that won't let me down....Have fun, and be gentle on the locking diff.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricty View Post
what kind of trails are you looking for? I'm stock all the way for now until the funding is approved for my wallet.
but i would like to go for sure as long as i'm not drowned with homework that weekend.
also, i would probably be down for some camping but won't it be quite chilly at night?

I don't know about the trails, but I do know that I too, am stock. I think you will be alright. Most people on here don't like the idea of putting their truck in even a remotely risky situation, which means that when stock, it is only slightly more challenging for us, than it is for the lifted crowd.

As for camping, yes, it will be chilly overnight... bring a few layers (for top and bottom), and you will be good. I also have an extra sleeping bag that anyone can borrow. If your current sleeping bag isn't rated for cold temps, just throw it over your bag, and you should be toasty.

Will anyone else be camping?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
Hermit is on a distinguished road
Hermit's Tacoma Gallery
Sadly... Hermit won't be ready.... says hi...

Sorry to say I won't be ready in time to go. I haven't hardly been online in 2 months and a PM about the next meet and greet reminded me to check in.

Between remodeling my house, rebuilding the Taco, and getting ready for winter, I am stretched so thin I'm ready to snap. Not even halfway to being ready for Moab on Halloween... sorry.

Good news is I picked up my new CBI sliders 2 weeks ago... so I have everything at my house to complete the overhaul (except for the frame reinforcers, a new welder, a couple of gallons of zero-rust, and the time I need to get everything done... ;-(

To everyone who is worried about their stock set ups... don't be. The area is so great, and with such a variety of difficulty you could have a awesome and safe time if you were driving a passenger car. With any decent "stock" four wheel drive you could spend weeks there having a fantastic time. If you have a modified rig, then you just have a lot more possibilities... and a natural source of pure, high octane adreniline.

Regardless of how you ride... it's all "fantastic". Moab isn't just "the bomb" - its nuclear - like the Rubicon and such (forgive my "elder" cliches). Nice thing about Moab is its got everything from easy fun to heart stopping fear... and its simply a matter of choosing which fork in the road to take.

Sorry I won't be there... or much of anywhere for the next 6 months. Hope to see everyone next year. Plan to bring a surprise or two on my "white" 2nd gen. Bye for now.

Have fun, be crazy, and keep safety in mind... Hermit
Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
mj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meg
mj918's Tacoma Gallery
I wont be able to make this one, sorry.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
"Its go time, baby!"

[quote=JanBoothius;2281301]I don't know about the trails, but I do know that I too, am stock.quote]

I am also stock with a 4 banger engine. The only thing I have is offroad tires and rock sliders. So the stuff we do im sure your guy's V6's can do.

I will let my buddy know who is going and then we can plan from there on what trails to take. I will keep you updated with the plans and such. so stay tuned

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
r00t
SubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to behold

Army: Prior Service
Name: William
SubFrozen's Tacoma Gallery
I'm game, pencil me in with my almost stock Taco.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
"Its go time, baby!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubFrozen View Post
I'm game, pencil me in with my almost stock Taco.
Awesome, Your nittos should help out a ton!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #18
tricty is on a distinguished road

Name: chad
tricty's Tacoma Gallery
yup theres going to be no way i can make this trip i'm way to bogged down with school and work
Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #19

So, is this still going to happen? Is everyone that signed up still going to be able to make it?

Shawn, I think people should exchange phone numbers, especially with such an early morning meet. I can send out a PM if you would like.

Is anyone else camping?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
r00t
SubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to behold

Army: Prior Service
Name: William
SubFrozen's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I'm down with a horrid sickness. I was even going to bring CV Axles and swap those at some point this weekend. ;-)

Count me out, so I can go die for a few days.

-Will