1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going to Moab - Advice?

Discussion in 'Moab' started by xodeuce, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce [OP] mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    I'm headed to Moab in May of this year as part of an event a friend's 4x4 club is doing. I'm registered for Chicken Corners, Fins and Things, and 7 Mile Rim.

I'm looking for anyone who's done Moab before to make recommendations on tires. Was thinking General Grabber AT2's, but not sure if that'll be the best on the rock and stuff. I'm thinking I'll do 285's and the OME lift kit on my 2nd gen. I figure I'll need the full 3". (I'm sure that'll warrant some jokes)

Also, any other advice for camping in Moab for 4 nights, as to what to take, things to prep on the truck, etc., etc.?

2. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Make sure you have Recovery Rope, Bunch of shackles, Shovel, get a hi lift very help full and also make sure you buy some Truck nuts :)

3. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    xodeuce

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    I KNEW I forgot something! lol

4. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    If you don't have it already, I'd do bumpers/sliders/skids. As much as you can afford.

5. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    bump on that !!!

6. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    CHase have you been to Moab????

7. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    kinkrider101

kinkrider101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
    Sliders....winch ...rear bumper

8. Jan 17, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I think those tires will be fine. Any sort of LT A/T tire should be fine.

After recovery gear and armor might want to invest in some sort of on board air system and some deflators. Probably get a hi-lift too if you get sliders (which you definitely should). And a patch kit perhaps.

9. Jan 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    A shovel is pointless in Moab. Are there times you might actually use it? sure, but they are so rare, it's not worth even taking one. If you can't afford a winch, don't sweat it, you'll be wheeling with a group and they'll be there to help you out if you get stuck and 90% of the recoveries can be done with a recovery strap.

And frankly, the trails you'll be running aren't even going to need that. You've chosen some good trails for a Moab Newb.

If you can do bumpers, I'd do a rear bumper first. It's way more common to drag your rear bumper than it is to hit your front bumper. Skid plates would be great, but again the trails you're running don't have too many places where you're gonna drag the bottom of y our truck (unless you don't have any idea what you're doing). Sliders are a better option. You'll want to protect your rocker panels.

Moab is great and May is a good time to be there. Have fun.

10. Jan 18, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Sorry, I forgot you were asking about tires.......

Moab is very tire friendly. There is great traction on the sandstone. Most AT type tires do just fine, so you don't need any super aggressive tires, especially on those trails.

Is this a small club event or one of the larger ones? Cruise Moab is a large Toyota event in May. There are some requirements you'll need to meet if it's for that event.

Either way, the bare minimum that you should have with you (regardless of location) are:
    Hi-lift jack
    Recovery strap
    A few D-ring shackles
    solid recovery points on your truck
    some form of communication (CB or otherwise) moreso in case of an emergency if you cannot get cell coverage where you are.
    spare tire
    fire extinguisher
    basic tool kit
    appropriate spare parts and fluids.

The other nice thing about Moab is that nearly all the trails are relatively close to town. If you get into real trouble, you can hop in with someone else to come back to town for parts and then go back out to your truck if you need to fix it and don't have spares. But you'll be fine.

Chicken Corners is not much more than a dirt road. Scenic but very easy.
    Fins and Things is a great first time trail to break you in on the slickrock. You'll be amazed at the traction on some of the very steep climbs and decents.
    7Mile Rim has a bit of a mix with more ledges and dirt rather than long stretches of slickrock. Another scenic trail.

11. Jan 18, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    this is making me think of my first wheeling trip to Moab.........

Circa 1996 Fins and Things. First trail in my old FJ40. Total Blast.
    1997Fins_822753540353975f996c707d8eead4598a880601.jpg

12. Jan 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    Here are some pics from my last Moab Trip.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/south-west/122532-moab-november-2010-lots-pics.html

You don’t need to spend a mountain of cash on your truck to do well in Moab. I have seen a bone stock Taco keep up just fine on almost all the obstacles. However I would recommend sliders, they will pay for themselves the first time you hit a rock. They are a lot cheaper than a trip to the body shop.

As previously mentioned most AT tires will do just fine in Moab.

Don’t forget to take a camera and post a lot of pics for us.

13. Jan 19, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    xodeuce

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Yeah, I'm headed out for Cruise Moab with the Rising Sun 4x4 club from CO.

Good suggestions. CB is actually required to pass tech, so I'll be getting one of those for sure. I'll also have my 144/440 ham radio in the truck, and fortunately most of the Rising Sun crowd has ham as well, so that'll be nice.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Oh, and I'll definitely have my camera and tripod. There will be lots of pics :) :)

14. Jan 19, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Cruise Moab is hands down one of the best events in the country in my opinion. You'll have a blast. Just get the most current requirements to pass tech inspection from the Rising Sun webpage and you'll be good.

Our local club Wasatch Cruisers plays a big part in Cruise Moab as well. We've been working with Rising Sun almost since the beginning of the event by providing many trail leaders and other volunteers. For the last few years Wasatch Cruisers also hosts the overnight run that is part of the event. Rising Sun does an outstanding job of organizing that event and without question they are some of the best people I have ever met.

Edit: that photo I posted earlier of my black FJ40 is from the very first Cruise Moab event.

15. Jan 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    musty40

musty40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD OR
    Cruise Moab is a top notch event! Been in the Moab area for 4 of them over the past 13-14 years.Either as a spectator no vehicle or riding shotgun in a friend's FJ40 (long drive from Minnesota)

As for the wheeling I second the need for sliders and a rear bumper. Did some damage to my brothers FJ62's rear bumper. Granted no lift (sagging rear end), probably poorer departure angle, and small 31" tires.

Chicken Corners is very easy, a high clearance front wheel drive could do 2/3rds of the trail. I say 2/3rds because we turned around after camping at the "caves" in a large rock outcrop. Very scenic drive though.

As Box Rocket mentioned Fins-n-Things is a great intro to slickrock.

Have fun, Alan

16. Jan 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    musty40

musty40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD OR
    Another easy drive is to head down the Shaffer Trail in Canyonlands then take the Potash Road back to town.

Super easy but unbelievable scenery! Maybe a last day or easy day option.

Alan

17. Jan 22, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    if u r a mountain biker take your bike and hit porcupine rime, its a pretty epic ride, there is a lot of 4x4 trails on the way to the trail too.

If you have some extra time go find moab rim its near town. U can watch some jeeps crawl up the rim, its pretty intense, you wont be able to do it in a taco but its fun to watch people drive their crawlers.

get armor and sliders under your truck. Last time i was there i had to drive a guy back to town cuz he bashed in his oil pan.

make sure u get a good shot of delicate arch around sun set, winter sun sets are the best in moab

18. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    helocat

helocat Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    x2 Adam are they still putting Sat. Phones with all the run leaders?

The way they lead the runs, no one gets left behind. This event is probably the best way to be introduced to Moab the first time.

Have fun and see you there!

Mark

19. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    As far as I know all trail leaders will have SAT phones in case of an emergency.

20. Jan 24, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    xodeuce

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Very cool on all the info!

I ordered my sliders today :). Decided on the Stubbs Welding HD-SKO ones.

[​IMG]

Gotta say, so far Richard Stubbs is THE MAN. Said they might ship out later this week! Wait times for Shrock and Demello were several weeks.

Products Discussed in

To Top