Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails > Moab

Notices

Moab Easter Jeep Safari

Old 09-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Blah,blah,blah...
TNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to all
Army: 31A
TNRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Moab Easter Jeep Safari

All right, I know. It's a jeep crawl! Before the bashing begins just let me explain. My buddy is taking his rig for the 2012 safari and he wants me to go as his spotter/mechanic. I told him I'd prolly do it, but I'm looking for some info from anyone that's been to the Easter Jeep Safari, or Moab in general. This will be my first trip. Im Looking for info on where to stay,and what trails we should run. He has a fairly well built Rubicon with 35's, lockers, armor, winch, etc...

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Jeep Safari is fun. I went last year mostly as a spectator. I also ran some trails that weekend as well but not with the Heep guys. Their trail runs are all guided by an experienced Moab trail guy and there are tons of different difficulty levels. Seems with his vehicle he would want to do at least moderate to hard trails. All the organized trail runs meet early, about 8am and then finish wen they finish...

I have last years Jeep Safari dedicated trail/info newspaper. If we get out to a trail here in TN soon I'll bring it for you to take a look at.

I scouted my own camp sights with some help of GPS coordinates that one of my buddy's has. You can also do pay camp sites that are very nice.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Blah,blah,blah...
TNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Jeep Safari is fun. I went last year mostly as a spectator. I also ran some trails that weekend as well but not with the Heep guys. Their trail runs are all guided by an experienced Moab trail guy and there are tons of different difficulty levels. Seems with his vehicle he would want to do at least moderate to hard trails. All the organized trail runs meet early, about 8am and then finish wen they finish...

I have last years Jeep Safari dedicated trail/info newspaper. If we get out to a trail here in TN soon I'll bring it for you to take a look at.

I scouted my own camp sights with some help of GPS coordinates that one of my buddy's has. You can also do pay camp sites that are very nice.
Thanks, I'm getting pretty stoked even though it's 6 months away. I figure we'll do the mod to hard trails, I just ain't sure which ones are the best. The application requires us to specify each trail on each day we want to run and first come first serve. There are so many to choose from!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
order this book off of amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroad...6482826&sr=8-2 It is a must and a very good guide book. The trails are rated a little conservative in this book but dont be fooled, if it says the trail is rated hard there is at least one section that it is serious about even though most the other parts may be only moderate.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Blah,blah,blah...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
order this book off of amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroad...6482826&sr=8-2 It is a must and a very good guide book. The trails are rated a little conservative in this book but dont be fooled, if it says the trail is rated hard there is at least one section that it is serious about even though most the other parts may be only moderate.
Nice, ordered!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Don't stay at a hotel. There are several RV/campgrounds that rent out small cabins that have all the amenities for almost half the price.

I've stayed here and enjoyed it very much. http://moab-utah.com/moabrim/
$49 split two ways a night is a steal. Shower, kitchenette, microwave, queen size bed, and a set of bunch beds.

The Moab Diner has some awesome green chili.

You can find the book Jeff mentioned in about every shop or gas station in Moab. As Jeff said, it's pretty good even though I've found some errors in it.

May can still be chilly weather wise so make sure you take some warm clothes.

Trails I recommend:

7 Mile Rim
http://www.4x4now.com/mtsmr.htm

Fins & Things
http://www.utah.com/offroad/fins_things.htm

The Safari normally goes to this Potato Salad Hill (video at the top of page)
http://www.utah.com/offroad/potato.htm

Hey Joe Canyon (not difficult but scenic)
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dyna...ow.com/hjc.htm

This was last years trip
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...nesnyder/Moab/

This years trip. The first couple sets of pics in this album are actaully from Colorado. The DCLB with the besttop is Jeff's.
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20
Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Spring Canyon Bottom on the way back from Hey Joe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4S67...eature=related
Old 09-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #9

Marines:
Oh, and watch the endangered dirt.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Driving on the edge like that would be kinda freaky... then you go near the parts that collapsed... D:
Old 09-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #11

Marines:
It's hairier when you pass two quads.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #12
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Spring Canyon Bottom on the way back from Hey Joe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4S67...eature=related
Is this you, Ben?

I did the Spring Canyon->Hey Joe run on 4-wheelers back about 8 years ago. AWESOME ride. Were you able to make it all the way down next to the river and back into Hey Joe Canyon with the truck?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
there's alot of free camping at the end of potash road shortly after it becomes a dirt road....go past the buildings and you'll see many free options
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #14

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Is this you, Ben?

I did the Spring Canyon->Hey Joe run on 4-wheelers back about 8 years ago. AWESOME ride. Were you able to make it all the way down next to the river and back into Hey Joe Canyon with the truck?
It's me and Chad. We weren't able to make it all the way back. I'll dig out the photo where we had to stop when I get home. It's in the 2010 MOAB album but I can't access it here at work.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #15
5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
5thToy's Tacoma Gallery
This is Kane Creek trail in Moab
http://youtu.be/gLygl4zwEGo
They do have bypasses for the harder sections, fun trail

Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #16

Marines:
That looks like a fun one.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
That looks like a fun one.

kane creek is one of my favorites...coming up the rock hill can be difficult and the first obstacle is tight with 2nd gens, but overall a great trail
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #18

Marines:
We took the right and went through Hurrah Pass out to Lockhart. That was a long ass drive.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #19

Marines:
This is where we got stuck in Hey Joe

VV Rep to whomever can name this obstacle. VV
Old 09-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #20
Blah,blah,blah...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
there's alot of free camping at the end of potash road shortly after it becomes a dirt road....go past the buildings and you'll see many free options
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thToy View Post
This is Kane Creek trail in Moab
http://youtu.be/gLygl4zwEGo
They do have bypasses for the harder sections, fun trail

Nice vids! Thanks!