Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails > Moab

Notices

Moab - Wasatch Cruisers Oct club run

Old 10-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Moab - Wasatch Cruisers Oct club run

I was one of the founding members of this club back in 1999 and it started out as 6 guys with FJ40s. It has since grown into a large club of ~75 members. There are 4Runners, minitrucks, Tacomas, FJ Cruisers and just about every variety of Land Cruiser in the club. It had been about 5 years since I had been able to get out on one of the official club runs until this past weekend. It was a blast.

We had about 12 trucks total but we weren't all on the same trails. We drove down to Moab last Thursday evening and met at the movie theater in town Friday morning to decide which trail to run. We ended up with a group of 6 trucks on Steel Bender. Steel Bender is pretty fun but really not that difficult even though it's rated a 4 (on a scale of 1-5 with the hardest). There are a couple challenging climbs and a big ledge to drop off of that has gotten much worse over the last few years. It ended up being a long day. We didn't have any breakdowns, but we had lots of kids on the run since our club is a family club. It's fun but the kids just slow things down a little.

Here's a few photos from the parking lot as we decided which trails to run. The other group ran 7 Mile Rim.

Onto the Steel Bender trail. I took only a handful of pics so I apologize. A fried took a few of my Tacoma too.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

more from Steel Bender

Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Couple pictures from our campsite at ehe Canyonlands campground.

Sliders got a serious work out. Whoever says Trail Gear sliders don't hold up to abuse has never really used them.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Looked like a blast! Hopefully i'll get out west and wheel oneday.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Saturday a small group of us (me in my Tacoma, two 80 series Land Cruisers and a 1st gen 4Runner) ran Golden Spike. It has been almost 10 years since I ran this trail last. I have only run it in my FJ40 in the past. I was excited because this would be the first real test for my Tacoma in the rocks. Most of the trips I've taken with it since I bought it have been long multi-day "expedition" style trips in the desert. So I made a point of trying all the hard lines I could find on Golden Spike including Double Whammy. I have never driven up Double Whammy but I've seen countless people break or rollover on it. After pulling the front tires up to the top ledge I gave it a little bump and the Tacoma went right up. I was seriously stoked that the Tacoma tackled every single obstacle I tried without really any difficulty. This is the first IFS truck I've owned so I was skeptical of how well it would do in the rocks but I was pleasantly suprised.

I took only a couple photos on Golden Spike so I'm hoping some of the other guys with us took more, but here's a sequence of me crossing the crack.

Couple of the other guys

Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Holy flex!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Holy flex!
Those 80 Series actually flex pretty well. I lifted a tire a few times in the Tacoma, but that's to be expected with the IFS. I do miss the flex I had in my FJ40.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO View Post
Moving to Utah next month! Can't wait to join one of these trips!

Coming to HAFB? I'm really close to the base. It's a great area.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
Hoist Rider
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
I really enjoy seeing these pics of expedition like trips. It's really cool that you guys include the families, I'm sure my boys would be really excited for a trip like this. Hopefully, I can pull some orders out west before too long. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaEcho2k5 View Post
I really enjoy seeing these pics of expedition like trips. It's really cool that you guys include the families, I'm sure my boys would be really excited for a trip like this. Hopefully, I can pull some orders out west before too long. Thanks for sharing.
x2 Trying for some to Ft carson next. I would love to take my family out for a weekend in the desert.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
This is the setup I eventually plan on having on my rear, along with the topper. Can Back, make a topper for the 2nd gen tacomas!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Few more from a friend.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #17
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
awesome pictures and trip.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 AM   #18
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a blast, but my Taco isn't ready for that yet.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #19
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Wheeling Moab is on my bucket list. This looks amazing
Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #20
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
awwwwwww i would of gone :'( i had nothing better to do