Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails > Moab

Notices

Taco in Moab April 15-21 2012

Old 04-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Taco in Moab April 15-21 2012

I've spent a lot of time over the past couple of years admiring other members' pictures of Moab, and now that we've finally made it here, I can share our pics.

We drove just over 1200 miles from Houston to Moab over 2 days, and we hit up Fins n Things on our first day.

The trail wasn't too difficult, but the Jeeps definitely have the advantage in approach and departure angles. My receiver hitch scraped a few times, and I ended up breaking my trailer light plug/mount.

It's hard to tell in the pic how steep this is, and how tall the ledge is. The receiver hitch caught heck once I rolled over the ledge.

My spotter/navigator

Pics of Shafer Trail, Top of the World, and White Rim to follow...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
It's awesome there huh! Can't believe you didn't relocate the 7 Pin before your trip. Another lesson learned the hard way! Did you do all of fins or just the north side?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
I'm jelly... Wish I had gas money for a moab trip. about 1000 miles to get therefor me
Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rubi View Post
It's awesome there huh! Can't believe you didn't relocate the 7 Pin before your trip. Another lesson learned the hard way! Did you do all of fins or just the north side?

Yeah it is awesome. The pictures really can't capture the beauty of this place.

The ledge relocated the 7 pin for me. Oh well, if that's the only thing we break, I will say it was a successful trip.

We did all of the fins, including the optional "fun loop" thanks to my trusty navigator. Our guidebook had a misprint in it which directed us over an optional "wall". So my navigator took us over the wall too. It wasn't going up until I locked the rear diff in. Once we were locked it went right up. This thing climbs like a mountain goat
Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #6

Here are a few more pics my wife took by holding our camera over the ledge at "Top of the World"

If you don't see me post in a couple of days send the rescue crew to White Rim trail...or a tow truck
Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Nice pics! The wife and I made our first trip down there last summer, picked similar places to start too We ran Poison Spider, Top of the World, and White Rim. You will love the White Rim. Pretty amazing area. Have fun and be safe, you'll be a LONG ways from anything on White Rim!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
excellent! thanks for sharing!

as if my desire to get back there wasn't high enough, this definitely pushed it well over the ledge

great pics from top of the world
Old 04-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
great pictures, thanks for sharing! One day I hope to make it out there.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #10

We just made it back from the White Rim trail. It was one loong day. We had planned on camping tonight, but pushed through and just drove the whole thing in 10 hours. That's stopping for plenty of photo ops and lunch.

Just an FYI we burned through just over a half of a tank of gas. If you fill up before you hit up White Rim you should be fine.

90% of it can be driven in a golf cart. It was much more tame than I was expecting. 4x4 is definitely not a requirement in normal conditions.

I'll post up some pics soon.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #11

I have a new found respect for people who post up pics of them at the "Top of the World". It took us 5 hours to drive this 9.6 mile trail. It was really tough. 4 lo 90% of the time, and the rear locker was a necessity in a couple of places. It starts out really easy and only gets harder the entire trail.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
big sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
big sky's Tacoma Gallery
looks great! what guidebook are you using, would you recommend it?

sliders, any other armor?

thanks

<-- planning a Moab trip
Old 04-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by big sky View Post
looks great! what guidebook are you using, would you recommend it?

sliders, any other armor?

thanks

<-- planning a Moab trip
I'm using the guidebook written by Charles Wells:
http://www.amazon.com/Charles-A.-Wel...462753-0703952

Make sure you buy the spiral bound version. It will hold up a little better.

All I have is sliders, no other armor. They're only needed if you go down the trails rated "Difficult". I haven't actually used them yet, but I've come dang close.

We rented a Polaris Rzr today and gave the truck and ourselves a break. Much nicer than riding around in the truck. You can do all of these trails in 1/3 the time and don't have to worry about breaking your ride home.

More pics to come...
Old 04-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
big sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
big sky's Tacoma Gallery
danke for the info
Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Canazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Canazes9's Tacoma Gallery
Fantastic! I hope to do this trip in a year or two - thank you very much for posting! Great Pictures!

David
Old 04-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #16

We rented a town home for the week and it's just under $1000 (taxes included). I think it's a good deal considering it's 2 bedroom 2 bath with a garage and patio. It comes with a full kitchen and gas grill outside. The hotel cost for the week was pretty close to what we're paying, but this is a much better way to go.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
Your Unique, Just Like Everyone Else
TacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
TacoBran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
We rented a town home for the week and it's just under $1000 (taxes included). I think it's a good deal considering it's 2 bedroom 2 bath with a garage and patio. It comes with a full kitchen and gas grill outside. The hotel cost for the week was pretty close to what we're paying, but this is a much better way to go.
Do you have the info for the town home?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBran View Post
Do you have the info for the town home?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationR...Moab_Utah.html
Old 04-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #20
Your Unique, Just Like Everyone Else
TacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
TacoBran's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
Sweet thanks man!