Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails > Moab

Notices

Elephant Hill - Friday, May 18th, 2012

Old 05-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
...That was a fun run. Wish I had a decent camera to shoot with and contribute.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Great pics, I am going through the gopro vids working on putting a compilation together of this trail.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
hmmmm should i or should i not! i havent edited anything :P lol
Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
nice pics guys!

i need to hit this run for sure! thinking about coming in the back way to avoid the gate and sneak my dogs in haha
Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
nice pics guys!

i need to hit this run for sure! thinking about coming in the back way to avoid the gate and sneak my dogs in haha
…as long as that back way doesn't go anywhere near the main start of the trail/parking area, then you'd probably be fine. We encountered a ranger at the parking area on our way out and it seemed like he did regular trips to that parking area to check people's permits. If you did that though, you'd miss the best wheeling (in my opinion) on that trail which is elephant hill.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post

Is my taco lean really that bad? ...and I have the lean spacer, too?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
…as long as that back way doesn't go anywhere near the main start of the trail/parking area, then you'd probably be fine. We encountered a ranger at the parking area on our way out and it seemed like he did regular trips to that parking area to check people's permits. If you did that though, you'd miss the best wheeling (in my opinion) on that trail which is elephant hill.
did he check you coming out though?

seems like with a long day i could come in from the south and link up by devil's lane and drive from the end to the beginning of elephant hill..
Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
Is my taco lean really that bad? ...and I have the lean spacer, too?
I have a pretty nasty lean too... 1.25 inches... although I don't have the spacer for it.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
did he check you coming out though?

seems like with a long day i could come in from the south and link up by devil's lane and drive from the end to the beginning of elephant hill..
You might be able to get away with that. The ranger did not check us as we came out but he was occupied with some other yahoos that were trying to go onto the trail.

One thing you could do is stop at the landing above the entrance and survey the situation before descending on out to the parking lot. It is easy to see if a ranger is present in the parking lot and checking on things.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
mollydawg is on a distinguished road

Army: Weapons Support Radar 79th Field Artillery
Name: Mike
mollydawg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to mollydawg
We all enjoy these activities, but once you get a few that want to make up their own rules, you'll find those areas will get closed off to access, because the rangers don't have the funding to adequately patrol it. I've seen this happen to many outstanding trails in Utah in the past 40 yrs and it breaks my heart to see how ignorant some people can be. it ruins it for everyone. I've seen Elephant Hill deteriorate over the past 25 yrs I've been going there. Use to be very isolated, quiet, and a fun place for a few to gather and enjoy an evening at (Devils Kitchen? 4 camp spots) with some libations of your choice. Davis Canyon was closed due to guys getting off the main trail and carving up the biocryptic soil with no regard for the area and how long it took for nature to make it that way.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #15
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
i hear you...i obey the stay the trail belief and do appreciate the ability to access these areas...i always pack in pack out and respect rules that are set forth to help keep areas in line and available for years to come...

but i am not a believer in the restriction of dogs in national parks where horses are allowed...dogs on leash present less of an impact on areas where owners are responsible and pick up after their dogs than having horses walk around dropping their feces left and right without regard for others...the biggest eye opener for me was walking through the canyons of bryce where dogs are not allowed but horses are and coming to a switchback incline where the hole trail, side to side, was covered with horse crap...

i do understand that there are many dog owners who ruin it for everyone and that is a reason why there area rules like that but i still think, as a dog owner, it is not fair...

i plan on running this trail during Cruise when it's just me in the truck (lady and degs staying home for Cruise) so i can see the area and not feel guilty..
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i hear you...i obey the stay the trail belief and do appreciate the ability to access these areas...i always pack in pack out and respect rules that are set forth to help keep areas in line and available for years to come...

but i am not a believer in the restriction of dogs in national parks where horses are allowed...dogs on leash present less of an impact on areas where owners are responsible and pick up after their dogs than having horses walk around dropping their feces left and right without regard for others...the biggest eye opener for me was walking through the canyons of bryce where dogs are not allowed but horses are and coming to a switchback incline where the hole trail, side to side, was covered with horse crap...

i do understand that there are many dog owners who ruin it for everyone and that is a reason why there area rules like that but i still think, as a dog owner, it is not fair...

i plan on running this trail during Cruise when it's just me in the truck (lady and degs staying home for Cruise) so i can see the area and not feel guilty..
Well said and I completely agree. Horses also tear the shit out of the trails and cause tons of erosion.