Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails > Moab

Notices

OFFICIAL MOAB 2012 REVIEW/THOUGHTS THREAD

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
i just think we need to be very careful on it as well

Again a small comittee, with people actively involved in maybe say as far as leading a convoy or looking into extra insurances, publicity etc...., to be established and hold an online web meeting once per month will make this a success, + its always good to see old faces again
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #22
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoy View Post
I didn't make the last run. I went durring ISU's spring break. This year i want to go so hopfully everything works out and schools out so i can make it. maybe get show'n up a little.
I went down for this one and am planning to go next year. The spring semester had been over for over a week when the meet started.

I didn't have any complaints about how Moab 2012 went. I loved every minute of it! I'm hoping 2013 will be just as good
Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #23
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
hopefully my truck will be running and in good health to go to the next one
Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #25
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
I think this is big enough that we can get some MORE sponsors!

most definitely...

our sponsors this year were a huge help in pulling the event off and with more attendees next year, sponsors will once again play a crucial role in pulling the event off

and what better place to show off rock light setups than night wheeling at Area BFE?!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #26
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
most definitely...

our sponsors this year were a huge help in pulling the event off and with more attendees next year, sponsors will once again play a crucial role in pulling the event off

and what better place to show off rock light setups than night wheeling at Area BFE?!
I'm hoping I'll be able to make it down this year!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #27
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
Ya night wheeling at BFE..... I have some great pics ti add right here. I will have to look for them on my actual computer.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #28
It's about to get real!!!
rctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: konstantenos
rctoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
I love the idea of a pull behind BBQ rental!!!!

They can be rented fairly cheap and would make for an awesome group BBQ supper night!!

I for one will be there this up coming year, hopefully bringing more than 1 canadian down with me though

Only dislike I honestly had was the washroom hahaha it scared me when I went into the porto potty the last morning..... I did notice however when we spent our first day at the camp that lots and lots of people not with the group were using the washroom facilities, not that is a bad thing, but it does become more difficult to monitor those type of situations

Heres to hoping for a comittee to be formed for online meeting about discussions and events :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
most definitely...

The wife loves canadians. And that reminds me I need to finnish my rock lights. led red lights love em.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #29
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Here is a few of Silas and I at dusk on one of the areas within BFE......

Then Silas easily went up.........

Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #30
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
easy? skinny pedal love right there
Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #31

Law Enforcement:
Hahaha ya but up until that point it was pretty easy sailing.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #32
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
here's my .02 cents...

Area BFE: I didn't stay at Area BFE so I can't really comment on what worked and what didn't work this last time, but I'll give a few suggestions based on past events I've been to that have HQ'd at Area BFE.

I think you are always suprised by how many people end up showing up so get more portable bathrooms and trash containers than you ever think you'll need. Not only does it make it nicer for those camping there, but it's better for the event PR. When/if the BFE owners/coordinators ever come by and they see that the event organizers have their "sh*t" together (pun intended) with how they are taking care of the campsite it bodes well for future events and you are more likely to get price breaks and deals from the owners in the future.

I know Area BFE is a communal thing and part of what makes it cool is everyone hanging out together, but it's not a bad idea to have areas set aside for late night parties etc. Not everyone will be on the same page with how they camp and spend their time and in an effort to make it enjoyable for all types, having an area set aside for the bonfire/parties will allow the people that want to have that as part of their experience a place to have a good time while still isolating those that maybe don't want to be a part of that or just want to get some sleep. from my experience it just makes it better for everyone. You may not want to designate one area for 'everyone' but a section of the campground where those that plan on partying more can set up and have their own thing going on with their own smaller groups. But still keeping it somewhat seperate from those that don't want to be in the middle of it all.

Tech Inspection: Personally I think this is a big deal especially for those organizing the event. The last thing you want is for someone to roll their truck and seriously injure someone or worse because their steering was totally unsafe and no-one called them on it only to have it break on the trail and cause an unnecessary disaster. Then to come back and sue the event organizsers for not covering their butts. I know we all think everyone is cool about it and loose and understands the risks of wheeling but I've seen it happen. So specifically for you Bob and Jace, just to save you the potential nightmare of dealing with something like that, having a tech inspection where every registered truck is checked out is a good idea. Part of this would be signing a waiver releasing the organizers or the event from any liability.

Also part of the tech inspection would be limiting certain trucks from running some trails. Again, this is purely for safety of individuals and for the groups running the trails. For example someone with an unlocked and unlifted truck on stock tires should never be on Pritchett Canyon in my opinion. So basically you should have minimum requirements for trucks in order to run different trails.

For example: in order to run a 3+ - 4 rated trail trucks should have upgraded suspension, 32" or larger tires and at least one locker required. body armor is recommended.

3 rated trails are for trucks with 31" or larger tires, at least one locker recommended, body armor recommended

4+ - 5 rated trails. Trucks should have upgraded suspension 33" or larger tires, at least one locker required, two lockers recommended, body armor highly recommended, damage/and or breakage likely.

Those are just ideas, not that you have to use that exactly.

Trail Leaders: Again, I think this past year was fine being pretty loose about how it ran, but as it grows you could easily find yourself in a giant cluster trying to keep groups organized on trails. Group sizes on the trails will become an issue and the BLM is going to impose limits there too. Leaving it loose where groups can form on their own opens up the potential for multiple large groups wanting to hit the same popular trails at the same time. That can make for slow days on the trails while people are stuck waiting for large groups to work through difficult obstacles. Not to mention the environmental impact a large group can have on the trail. That's more of the BLM's concern.

Having a schedule of trail runs for each day with assigned trail leaders and tail gunners with specific departure times will help the attendees of the event make plans and make the most of their trip to Moab. It helps to solve some of the issues I just described. It also makes a point of contact for the event organizers. they know that whichever trail leader is assigned is responsible for his group and if their is a problem they know who to contact. Also it's not always necessary but there are times on a trail where a decision needs to be made that can affect the entire group. There needs to be someone in charge to make that decision. That is the trail leader. The attendees should recognize this and follow the direction of the trail leader in those instances. The trail leader is responsible for everyone in the group and making sure each individual makes it back to camp safely.

An example of this at a past event I was at was a truck that blew apart a rear diff and t-case at the same time on Golden Spike. At the time it happened it was already pretty late in the day. Having the entire group wait while repairs were made was not reasonable especially because all the necessary parts were not available. The trail leader made the decision to split the group and had the tail gunner lead part of the group out of the trail to get back to camp while those who stayed to help with repairs (including the trail leader) stayed with the broken truck and made parts runs to get the truck fixed enough to get it back to town. They didn't make it back until almost 4am. But it was a great example of a trail leader taking charge of his group to maintain safety, and ensure the group was having a good time, as well as being responsible to get everyone back safely.

Typically the trail leaders are familiar with the trails they lead so they can help choose lines through technical sections and assist those with less experience or point out challenge areas that might not be obvious.

Having set departure times for trail runs each day helps keep trail traffic to a minimum as you can set departure times based on group size, length of trail, difficulty of trail etc. It's also helpful to have a designated meeting place for each trail run that is the same place each day. That way if someone changes which trail they are going to run, they know that if they are at John Doe's gas Station at 9:00 am they'll find the group that is running Trail X that they want to run that day.

Registration: As much as you don't want to worry about it, this event is growing and having the proper BLM permits etc is going to be required in advance. A lot of this costs money. It's not reasonable to expect the event organizers to front all of the money to get permits and reserve facilities etc. By have a formal registration for the event where attendees pay a registration fee to help build necessary funds to secure those permits and reserve facilities etc takes the burden off the organizers and ensures that the event doesn't have trouble with the BLM and other city officials. Registration fees can also help with things like event t-shirts or other swag. Funds can help rent equipment like sat-phones. Cruise Moab for example has a sat phone for every trail leader in case of an emergency on the trail. They also purchase a portable toilet that each trail leader takes on the trail for use by the group since most of the Moab trails are illegal to leave human waste on. They also purchase spill kits in the event of a rollover or breakage where fluids are leaked onto the sandstone. All of this is in an effort to protect the trails that we enjoy so much.

Other suggestions.......

Vendor Night: I know there are businesses that sponsor the event already. Those sponsorships are likely to increase. This is a great opportunity for vendors to participate more with the event and showcase their products. From my experience, just about everyone at an event likes to see new products/vehicles from the different vendors. It cool to see the stuff and its fun to socialize and get to know a lot of new people

the vendor list here on Tacoma world is a great start, as I'm sure you are already doing that. Inviting magazine staff is another idea. 4WD Toyota Owner is one that comes to mind, or Tacoma Magazine (who covered the event in an issue this year).

I'm sure there are other great ideas out there but those are the main things that I think of and what i came away with from this years event.

For the record, I had a great time at this year's event and met a lot of great people. It was awesome to put faces to names. But most important was it was a good time to hit the trails with some new people. Hats off to Bob and Jace. I hope you take my suggestions as a compliment because it was a succeessful event this year and as a result it's going to grow and you'll have more and more people wanting to attend. That's great but it brings some complications and more stuff to organize. Since you guys are in Colorado, I suggest taking a look at the Cruise Moab event, and talkin with someone from the Rising Sun 4x4 club there in Colorado about how they handle their event. Out of all the events I've ever attended, no one does it as well as Rising Sun does at Cruise Moab. I'm not saying you have to do it exactly like they do, but they've figured a lot of things out and they do it well.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #33
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Yay I wanna go!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I loved every minute of this years event. The BBQ option would be great I better get to work on the B.A.M.F BBQ

You know I'm there as well as the B.A.M.F sponsor I'm staying longer next time
Oh yeah a BAMF BBQ. Bring that bad boy.

Bob / Jace - I shared some ideas with Jace on Sunday but will get them here officially.

- We should look at getting "Stay the Trail" or "Tread Lightly" to also sponsor so we can continue educating new members and those new to the sport.

- I have access to hosting online conference calls with webinar if needed so that we can get the committee all together for meetings. Just let me know.

- Raffle - Since we have a mix of rigs raffle give-aways should maybe get split up and organized by truck or SUV and by generation. Different raffle tickets for each. Then mix them all up for items that are general for anyone. IE recovery gear and such.

Looking forward to 2013!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #35

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
here's my .02 cents...

Area BFE: I didn't stay at Area BFE so I can't really comment on what worked and what didn't work this last time, but I'll give a few suggestions based on past events I've been to that have HQ'd at Area BFE.

Tech Inspection: Personally I think this is a big deal especially for those organizing the event. So specifically for you Bob and Jace, just to save you the potential nightmare of dealing with something like that, having a tech inspection where every registered truck is checked out is a good idea. Part of this would be signing a waiver releasing the organizers or the event from any liability.

For example: in order to run a 3+ - 4 rated trail trucks should have upgraded suspension, 32" or larger tires and at least one locker required. body armor is recommended.

3 rated trails are for trucks with 31" or larger tires, at least one locker recommended, body armor recommended

4+ - 5 rated trails. Trucks should have upgraded suspension 33" or larger tires, at least one locker required, two lockers recommended, body armor highly recommended, damage/and or breakage likely.

Trail Leaders: Again, I think this past year was fine being pretty loose about how it ran, but as it grows you could easily find yourself in a giant cluster trying to keep groups organized on trails. Group sizes on the trails will become an issue and the BLM is going to impose limits there too. Leaving it loose where groups can form on their own opens up the potential for multiple large groups wanting to hit the same popular trails at the same time. That can make for slow days on the trails while people are stuck waiting for large groups to work through difficult obstacles. Not to mention the environmental impact a large group can have on the trail. That's more of the BLM's concern.

Registration: As much as you don't want to worry about it, this event is growing and having the proper BLM permits etc is going to be required in advance. A lot of this costs money. It's not reasonable to expect the event organizers to front all of the money to get permits and reserve facilities etc. By have a formal registration for the event where attendees pay a registration fee to help build necessary funds to secure those permits and reserve facilities etc takes the burden off the organizers and ensures that the event doesn't have trouble with the BLM and other city officials. Registration fees can also help with things like event t-shirts or other swag. Funds can help rent equipment like sat-phones. Cruise Moab for example has a sat phone for every trail leader in case of an emergency on the trail. They also purchase a portable toilet that each trail leader takes on the trail for use by the group since most of the Moab trails are illegal to leave human waste on. They also purchase spill kits in the event of a rollover or breakage where fluids are leaked onto the sandstone. All of this is in an effort to protect the trails that we enjoy so much.

Vendor Night: I know there are businesses that sponsor the event already. Those sponsorships are likely to increase. This is a great opportunity for vendors to participate more with the event and showcase their products. From my experience, just about everyone at an event likes to see new products/vehicles from the different vendors. It cool to see the stuff and its fun to socialize and get to know a lot of new people
For 1 thing........How long did it take for you to write all this??

I think that the tech inspection area would be a great idea. I also agree with separating the bonfire/drinking area and camping area. I know that this past meet I would have preferred to have been a little farther away from the bire and everyone that stayed up late through the night. The only reason I couldn't is because of the trailer that we had brought with us and the place that we were able to find to set up and unload the trailer.

I was extremely with the turnout with the last meet and those that were there. The trail leaders I had the pleasure of wheeling with were great and very knowledgeable as to what line to take with my limo.

Bob and Jace were amazing in setting up the meet and organizing the whole thing. I also agree that the vendors helped out a huge amount. I would also be willing to pay a registration fee to secure my spot and help to cover some of the costs associated with the permits and fees that I'm sure we will be charged as a group this year.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #36
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Box- excellent! thanks for the thought put into that...i am actually going to save that information because it is all great feedback. i know you did a lot of work with cruise, so any input that you can provide i take with open ears. BFE was happy with how we took care of the place and we had many people at the end of the event go around and pick up not only our trash but any trash we saw around the area to help make our event out with PR. everything else you mentioned is going in the organization pile to help us out and make this a better event and set it up for future years.

Eric- we'll be in touch for sure. heard about your idea with stay the trail and like that idea a lot. we thought about the raffle idea last year and without enough lead time, it wouldn't have been as organized as we would have liked.

White- good to know about the fire and location...maybe i'll have to take a road trip out to do some more scouting around BFE to find some better layout options..
Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #37
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecloud View Post
For 1 thing........How long did it take for you to write all this??

Oh, I've got more. just got tired of typing.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #38
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
had a great time this year, ready and waiting for the upcoming dates.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #39

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Oh, I've got more. just got tired of typing.
Hahahaha I can see why.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #40
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tech Inspection: Personally I think this is a big deal especially for those organizing the event. The last thing you want is for someone to roll their truck and seriously injure someone or worse because their steering was totally unsafe and no-one called them on it only to have it break on the trail and cause an unnecessary disaster. Then to come back and sue the event organizsers for not covering their butts. I know we all think everyone is cool about it and loose and understands the risks of wheeling but I've seen it happen. So specifically for you Bob and Jace, just to save you the potential nightmare of dealing with something like that, having a tech inspection where every registered truck is checked out is a good idea. Part of this would be signing a waiver releasing the organizers or the event from any liability.

Wut??? Who would do that??? pffff...