Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails > Moab

Notices

Camping in Moab

Old 07-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Camping in Moab

Hey Guys/Gals

I have an upcoming Moab trip coming in October planned for a few of us, I jsut have some questions for those who have frequented MOAB a little mroe in depth than myself

I would to know where in moab i can camp that is okay with rig repairs(you never know when its going to happen)

I know a few with shower services and laundry, and I know KOA is no go on rig repairs. Not that I for see any huge issues with the rigs I really dont for see much for hardcore trails going on, but minor issues could arise

I am going to rule Area BFE out this time around due to the women that are coming with, we have thought about hotel'ing this trip BUT we have are all set-up for camping with RTT's, so we are kind of in that boat where it may be easier to just camp the whole time

Also if anyone is interested the Edmonton toyota Club aka Toyota Expeditionary Asscociaton of Alberta will be going on a week long trek the week of Oct 13th through Oct 20th. I have a truck on 31's coming and one on 33's with a High COG, both are first timers, but well still be looking at some of our options, the guy 31's wants to go Cliffhanger!!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
LOL
Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hey im going to ride on your coat tails if your gonna pose the question. i think ill stay at BFE but if there are better options... i would like to know
Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
the habs fan

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey im going to ride on your coat tails if your gonna pose the question. i think ill stay at BFE but if there are better options... i would like to know
yah I showed my wife BFE and i got uh no lol
Old 07-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
If you're talking about Camgrounds, stay at either Canyonlands campground or Slickrock campground. I usually stay at the Canyonlands campground. Its right off main street just past the City Market so it's close to everything in town. Good showers and facilities and I've never had an issue wrenching on trucks there. In fact last summer I helped a buddy replace both rear axles and rear diff in his Jeep right in front of his tent site.

Slickrock is wheeler friendly too. It is not far from the bridge when you first come into town. Cruise Moab event has their headquarters there and it's always full of trucks getting worked on.

FWIW, my wife prefers Canyonlands over Slickrock because the facilities are better. Their cabins are nicer too if you want to get a small cabin.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
the habs fan

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
If you're talking about Camgrounds, stay at either Canyonlands campground or Slickrock campground. I usually stay at the Canyonlands campground. Its right off main street just past the City Market so it's close to everything in town. Good showers and facilities and I've never had an issue wrenching on trucks there. In fact last summer I helped a buddy replace both rear axles and rear diff in his Jeep right in front of his tent site.

Slickrock is wheeler friendly too. It is not far from the bridge when you first come into town. Cruise Moab event has their headquarters there and it's always full of trucks getting worked on.

FWIW, my wife prefers Canyonlands over Slickrock because the facilities are better. Their cabins are nicer too if you want to get a small cabin.
thanks Adam

i was going to PM you either way as I knew you'd have a solid answer, but I wanted to see this on the open forum for all future Moab Adventurers
Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
few photos from the Canyonlands campground just to give you an idea.

fixing a busted pinion on the picnic table at our tent site.

Typical tent site.

most have a small covered pavillion where the table is, all have a firepit and a fence separating the sites.

None of these are great pics showing the sites but should give you an idea of what the tent sites are like. This was the tent site next to ours on one trip. Japanese guys from Mitsubishi Motors doing an Americas expedition
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiveOn View Post
BFE?

Subbed...doing a trip next summer
He already said, "not BFE" in the OP... haha
Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
i think he is asking what bfe is
Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
haha maybe. In that case

https://www.facebook.com/AreaBFE?fref=ts
Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
I was/am asking what BFE is...
Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Correct! Thanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiveOn View Post
I was/am asking what BFE is...
http://www.areabfe.com/
Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
So, are you looking for camping, or "camping" spots? For camping, Sand Flats or out Kane Creek road. For "camping" the above mentioned in town spots. I will probably head out to Kane or Sand Flats.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
besides the two adam mentioned, sand flats would be another good option. they have vault toilets, but no showers. you'd probably be fine with repairs there as well.

but canyonlands is a good option and popular with off roaders. when i stayed there there were at least a half dozen trailered rigs back in there. showers and pool onsite are great to have as well. just watch out for the caterpillars..woke up and had 100's of them on the tent, in my grille, and on the rest of our gear. crazy how fast they got on our shit.

if i make it out and i have my rtt on, i'll most likely shoot down kane creek and get a spot down there. i'll just swing by your campground and shower
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
I'll second Canyonlands CG. Last time we were there it was well kept, really showed pride of ownership. Had the feeling that the consideration and respect you gave was what you would get back.
$6 a nite for 2 trucks felt a little steep but we really needed to do some laundry and a shower.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #20
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Pool View Post
I'll second Canyonlands CG. Last time we were there it was well kept, really showed pride of ownership. Had the feeling that the consideration and respect you gave was what you would get back.
$6 a nite for 2 trucks felt a little steep but we really needed to do some laundry and a shower.
$6? i couldnt find that on their website?

I contacted BFE and got the green light to stay there in a couple weeks but for 6 bucks for a real campsite in town and showers would be much much better.