1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wrecked my bike today

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by j83soldier, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    Glad you are mostly ok. I hope you get something out of her to pay for the drs bills and your bike.

Dress for the slide not the ride.

2. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    where are you located? it sucks shell probably get a few tickets but still keep on driving and it wont even affect her. Lawyer up... take what she has.

3. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    I'm glad you're okay, but now that you realize that cagers are actually trying to kill you, I hope you'll reconsider your riding gear!

4. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    neoflex

neoflex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Funny how everyone is saying Sue for all she is worth. Apparently you would get more by suing the stick of gum at the gas station she tried getting gas with food stamps. All you'll end up doing is going deeper in the negative on this one by going that route unfortunately. 0+0 is still 0. Maybe at the very least this will teach you to believe in ATGATT(All the gear all the time.) Just sayin'. You never know when your going to go down so you may as well dress for it. Sorry to hear about the accident nonetheless and hope you heal quick. Not sure how new the bike was since you said it was new to you and if you were financing or not but I am hoping not since you only had liability. Keeping mine fully covered until it's at least payed off. Nothing would suck more than paying for something you no longer have or can enjoy anymore.

5. Aug 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    x2 after seeing how poorly some of the aholes in ca drive i put a 905 stunt cage on my bike... i wreck once and had to piece my bike back together with liability insurance not helping. not fun. If your in cali and need a hand fixing your bike id be glad to help yah. Ebay is your friend lol.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Aug 5, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    WTtoolman

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    Just say no to "stunt cages!" That is one fad I'll be happy to see end!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Aug 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    well if you stunt they save your bike. if you drop a bike itll save it. i dont think its a fad. it practical protection. In ny not needed for daily driving. In CA needed.

Its like a skid plate for a bike. :D protection in areas needed. Splitting lanes is legal in cali and some aholes in cages dont respect that. the stunt cage put something other than you leg in between the bike and the car.

8. Aug 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    WTtoolman

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    Cages definitely don't protect in all ares needed. If that were the case, there would be bars encasing the entire machine. What they do do is protect the lower part of the bike during a very minor accident: a lowside or a tip-over. They may save your the lower part of your bike but that's it. There's alot more left unprotected than protected. Plus, you have to cut up or drill large holes into the bodywork on some of the kits just to install the cage. Doesn't make sense to destroy the very bodywork you're trying to protect. On another note, the cages bolt directly to motormounts or the frame. Brake any part of those two and it's a goner for sure!

9. Aug 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    not true... ive been stunting for 6 years now. If you stunt you can get beefy fairing stays and custom sub frames. no a cage wont protect the forks etc. but in the description the op gave it would save his plastics and case and engine covers. alot of bikes you dont need to modify the plastics. even if you do A small hole in the fairing is better than a cracked case or broken covers. Ive wrecked the shit out of my gsxr and no damage to the frame or engine from the cage. If you hurt either of those youd have more problems and not be worrying about the bike... ive been side swiped on my bike. i didnt have a cage and the nerf bars of a nissan frontier crushed my ankle and broke the lower case. if i had a cage the bike wouldnt have been totalled and my leg woulda been fine...

10. Aug 5, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    [​IMG]

they can be stylish too!!! i like the street fighter with cage look

11. Aug 6, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    OP - good thing you managed to stay on your feet...got lucky there. Would've hate to hear about you falling off without your gear.

12. Aug 6, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Glad your OK. I say take her to court. Hell...Maybe she can sell her car to fix your bike. many are saying "She doesnt have anything...Dont bother". BAH! Sue her! If anything, It will teach her a lesson!

13. Aug 6, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    j83soldier

j83soldier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    That's the plan

14. Aug 12, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    Hellmutt

Hellmutt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Piqua, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRDsport 4x4 DC
    sadly, I've only put Husky Liners in it thus far - tend to blow all my cash on my bikes and guitars.
    You did the right thing getting rid of the bike and staying clear of the car yourself in that scenario........I say sue her -- if she's stupid enough to negate federal laws, then she can be stupid enough to restitute you for damages for however long it takes her to pay it -- the courts will mandate that for you.........I also understand the need for cages when you're a stunter, but not on a daily rider IMO.........I'm all about power and speed, these cages just suck more "aero" out of your bike and increase the drag coefficient -- if you wear the proper gear and insure your shit, there's nothing to worry about as long as you know what your doing..........traffic will do what traffic will do, but seasoned riders tend to steer clear of incidents the majority of the time -- but I know you cant ALWAYS avoid the unavoidable, but the odds are usually in our favor as long as we're prepared in advance and riding within our skill levels.

15. Aug 12, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    I agree with you, until you come to southern cali. Its scary to ride a bike here. Ive never had any problems in the northeast. Here is cali i swear they are all out to kill you. splitting lanes is perfectly legal here. Especially since there is a double yellow line separating carpool lanes and regular lanes making it safer to split lanes. but there is always that asshole who jumps the double yellow into the carpool lane and the no.1 cause of motorcycle accidents on the highways here are side swipes. the cage while practical for stunting is also practical for saving your legs and feet. Cop bikes and other street bikes have there version of crash guards here too, not just sportbikes. And they dont kill the aerodynamics that much :rolleyes: i cant even tell its there with the plastics. I did notice a huge difference when i took the plastics off. You can only go 65 anyway:D.

16. Aug 12, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    Hellmutt

Hellmutt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Piqua, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRDsport 4x4 DC
    sadly, I've only put Husky Liners in it thus far - tend to blow all my cash on my bikes and guitars.
    Well, I guess my intentions were biased to the way I want a bike to perform and what I do with my machine, so I understand why you would want one.......it's illegal to lane-split in Ohio and surrounding states, so I rarely get to experiment with those situations -- but there's dumbasses everywhere in cars/trucks that just don't take care enough to ensure there's no bikes coming up on them or attempting to pass.
    I bought a ZX14, so there's virtually nothing I can't pass on the road -- I always keep an eye up ahead and the other in front of me, so when I see stupidity in my lane I'm holding up until I can click-bang right by!!
    But in your case, side streets are blind sometimes -- along with a lot of drivers on the roads today........just another episode of us bikers gambling with our own lives........glad you're ok though

17. Aug 12, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    some motorcyclists are just idiots. This morning at 5 am I get passed within inches by a motorcyclist wearing black, on a black motorcycle, before sunrise, weaving through traffic "Cali" style. If he clips my front fenders and sprays his brains all over the freeway, who is gonna replace my fenders? :rolleyes:

18. Aug 12, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    Are you able to sue even though you only have liability insurance?

19. Aug 12, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    yea, if its there fault... you can get pain and suffering, lost wages etc. things that there insurance doesnt cover.

20. Aug 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    you can through subrogation, the legal process by which your insurance company sues the 3rd party responsible for the losses they incurred to you. So basically, the insurance company will pay for your losses, then sue the crap out of the minivan bitch

Products Discussed in

To Top