1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a first bike, Suzuki SV650S vs Yamaha R1 1000

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by StaticFilter, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Aug 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    x100 on the MSF. Always respect the bike, not matter what size you end up with.

2. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Dude go with the zuki, sv is a proven track bike, besides you'll find parts galore for it as well, plus the parts from some katanas, and older bandits are interchangeable. The only problem I see is that I believe that sv is still carbuerated, where as the r1 is fi. If you do get the sv, get the manual as well, clymers has an excellent manual for zuki's. Trust me you'll be needing it to tinker with those carbs

3. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I've taken the course... I'm looking to buy a bike here in about a week... I'm just indecisive between the Ninja 650R and the 250R

I want to buy the 650R but I need to learn some skills, plus I'm going to Iraq for a year in April and don't want a nice 650 to sit around. My GF took the MSF course with me and really wants the 250 so I might just get the 250 now and then hand it over to her while I'm in Iraq... pay it off will over there and then pick up the 650R when I get back

4. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    Imaking

Imaking Taco Newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Pahrump, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    OME 885x coils, 5100's set at 0. Deaver 2" AAL and 5100s out back. AFE Pro Dry S drop-in, BHLM, '10 sport grille.
    I'm not sure how dirt riding will help you on the street. Sure, balance and working the controls is one thing - but my experience off-road didn't help too much... those damn "speed limits"

I didn't suggest that he buy a 'busa.

Neither the SV650 nor Ninja 650 are overpowering bikes. I think the most important thing with getting into street riding and finding the right bike is finding something that PHYSICALLY feels good to you. Find something that you feel like you can toss around or at least semi-easily manipulate. It should be at least relatively comfortable for you to sit on and height IMO is one of the most difficult factors. If you can't put your feet down and roll the bike around OK, you'll be timid about putting your feet down and stopping the bike when you need to.

Ergonomically, the SV and both of the Ninjas mentioned are very similar. They're all relatively low to the ground and pretty light. They're also not real high revvers - my R6 takes about 6 grand to get moving and that can definitely be unnerving for a newer rider.

Your 250 plan seems pretty solid if she's not an adrenaline junkie and wants a bike. You can both tinker around on it and then she could already have a bike when you get bored with it (it's gonna happen, trust me. It MIGHT do 85)

5. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    Tadcaster

Tadcaster Dogs n Trucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    First off, I'd take the MSF course to see if you even LIKE motorcycling. When you pass, and pretty much everybody passes, you'll be in a better position to decide how and what you want to ride.

Interesting choice of bikes. How did you pick those two? Neither is a starter bike IMO. If I was starting now, without the benefit of 40 years of riding, I'd find something smaller (250-400cc) and dual sport, preferably used. When looking at a bike ask yourself how loudly you'd cry if you dropped it. Forgetting to put the kickstand down at a gas station can cost $$$$ on some of the fully tupperware-clad crotch rockets. Advantage dual sport is that they are hard to make any uglier and they generally are mud splattered anyway.

Find yourself a smallish used dual sport on Craigslist, get comfy with it, push the envelope and develop your riding skills while scratching it up, and in a year sell it at a minimal loss and get what you really want.

BTW: don't think a 600 cc class bike doesn't have some get up and go. My little Yamaha FZ-6 redlined at 14k and would pass 100mph in just a few seconds. It is wicked easy to lull yourself into a fall sense of security and get yourself in serious trouble!

Pete
    BMW R1200GS
    BMW R1200RT
    Triumph Tiger 1050
    Yamaha FZ-6
    Yamaha DT-175 (1978 and still a blast to ride in places I wouldn't dare take one of the bigger bikes!)

6. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    Tadcaster

Tadcaster Dogs n Trucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, just read the part about you already taking the MSF course. Starting with a 250 makes a LOT of sense. You might want to refresh your skills on the 250 when you get back. Listen to the voice of experience -- EVERYTHING feels fast when you come home from a deployment! :D

Semper fi, and thanks for serving!

Pete -- Retired Chief Warrant Officer of Marines

7. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    Imaking

Imaking Taco Newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Pahrump, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    OME 885x coils, 5100's set at 0. Deaver 2" AAL and 5100s out back. AFE Pro Dry S drop-in, BHLM, '10 sport grille.
    I was gonna come back with something witty because of your description of the "tupper ware bikes" but...

I can't talk chit to a vet...

8. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    ImthePrez

ImthePrez Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD
    Dont be a pussy...go with the R1. My frist bike was a new gsxr 1k then i bought a 600 to do tricks and mess around on....even if you havent rode much....its simple....take it easy, dont roll on the throttle. Get comfortable with the bike and slowly build up..if you go with the smaller bike a few months down the road you will regret it and be wanting more.

9. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    ImthePrez

ImthePrez Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD

said perfectly!

10. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    Imaking

Imaking Taco Newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Pahrump, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road

Please tell me you've got a mohawk on your icon helmet? :D

11. Aug 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    APTJ

APTJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Dcab SR5 4x4
    grill, lights, bull bar, rims, tires,
    I've been driving a xt225 (street legal) for almost a year now and am thinking about an r6. If you want a bike like an R1 but have no need for the power go with the r6. These guys are right when they say the R1 is too much. Also IMO the 225 is a little weak on power as it'll barely hit 70 but I don't take it on the highway anyways.. However it is a light bike and something heavier with more surface area and better brakes is what I would recommend and am looking for myself.

12. Aug 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    I would echo everyones opinion here, except the mohawk icon helmet guy. Start small and move up. You can usually find a 250cc bike that someone had a couple years really cheap and when you drop it you won't sweat the cost. :) I am not a sport biker, started on 1980 suzuki 400 (20 years ago). It did fine for one summer, then bought my first HOG. I never regret owning that bike, sometimes wish I still had it and with my fat ass on it 55 mph was max speed.... :eek:

FYI- I am not saying stay away from sport bikes(just stating my experience), get what you want, it is your money. enjoy and be careful.

13. Aug 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Not going with an R1 for a beginner bike has nothing to do with being a pussy, it has to do with experience and knowing how to control a bike that powerful. They handle incredibly well but things can go from fine to 'oh shit' without the driver even knowing what happened. The beginner bikes if you will you at least have a chance of recovering if things start to go bad since they're not as tightly tuned. The clutch isn't as tight and theres less power reducing the chance of spinning out of a corner. I'm glad it worked out for you, some people take to motorcycles better than others but not many people can get on an R1 for their first trip and live to tell the tale.

14. Aug 16, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    Imaking

Imaking Taco Newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Pahrump, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Op, regardless of all of our preferences or opinions I would just hope that you at least get a chance to sit on and feel out whatever bike you end up purchasing. Only you know your comfort zone and that's what all this debate swirls around. Get something you think you'll enjoy, get some good gear (road rash doesn't wipe off) and take the msf course if you can! Be safe!

15. Aug 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    Tadcaster

Tadcaster Dogs n Trucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Sure you can! After you've absorbed a few hunks of scrap metal nothing else can possibly hurt as much! :D

Tupperware was intended as a term of endearment. My Tiger is half Tupperware and the RT wears enough to supply the needs of a small town. My point is a gas station drop on the RT is a LOT more painful than the GS! :eek:

16. Aug 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    TAKoma907

TAKoma907 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    2.5" Lift, Bilstein shocks, 10" Sub, CCFL Halo Headlights, K and N Air Intake, MagnaFlow Exhaust
    Go for a Ninja 250. They rock as first bikes. You'll outgrow it quickly (hopefully). I started off with one and upgraded to an R6 the next year.

17. Aug 16, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    2006xsp

2006xsp Member

Member:
    SE GA
    Vehicle:
    06 X-SP
    I just recently lost my 2001 Sv650s in an accident. But the year I did ride it i put over 8,000 mi on it and trust me you with be happier on the SV vs the R1. Sv had no problem on the track or the street on the turns keeping up with the other inline 4cyl bikes. Matter of fact from my experience the SV corners a lot better than the 1000. The R1 will get ya on straight line speed but even then my SV topped out at 152mph. Plenty fast enough to hurt ya. I also got about 50ish mpg. Torque on demand as well will pull the front end very easily if wanted. Whatever you choose be safe. Of all the stupid and reckless things i did pine needles in a turn at 30mph did me in. So ride Safe and keep it rubber side down.

18. Aug 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    Imaking

Imaking Taco Newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Pahrump, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    I was mostly just amused with your terminology, I've never heard that before!

I'm painfully smarta$s, but I assure you it's all in good spirits :cheers:

^This. IMO this is good and bad - if you dont mind bike shopping again in a year then absolutely go for it. I'd just rather get longer use out of a bike.

Again OP, when you buy a bike drop me a line and I'll point you in the direction of awesome pricing on whatever gear and accessories you need! ;)

19. Aug 17, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    cjh

cjh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 doublecab
    The v-twins in the SV are a great motor. I have a v-strom 650, same basic motor, I think the sv has iron cylinders compared to the plated ones in the v-strom. My 650 will run 120 on the highway, which is plenty fast. With my nature, I wouldn't have a bike capable of 150+ MPH if I didn't go that fast. Go with something a little more tame and get some miles under your belt. You can always sell the bike and move up when you are confident in your riding skills. Stay safe.

20. Aug 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    Tadcaster

Tadcaster Dogs n Trucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Speaking of which... What about a V-Strom 650 as a first bike? Reasonable displacement and performance, proven engine with plenty of torque for stop n go situations, a devoted following, parts and help all over the country...

Products Discussed in

To Top