1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bought my first bike yesterday.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by BIGLuke, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Sep 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    Excellent choice in a first bike. The F4i is amazing; I bought a 2006 for my first and I won't ever let her go.

I'm pretty stringent when it comes to the quality of gear; no sense in wasting money on cheap-o gear that may or may not hold up in a crash. Check out:

alpinestars (although I've heard stories of A*'s quality declining ever since they've started outsourcing the construction of their gear to China)
    dainese
    RS Taichi
    Arlen Ness
    scorpion
    shoei
    arai
    suomy

I'm sure I'm leaving out a few other quality manufactures, but what I've listed is what I have personal experience with. Whatever you do, stay away from Icon. Joe Rocket is better than the shit Icon produces.

Jackets/gloves should fit pretty snug while allowing you ample movement on the bike. You're not looking to go out on the town pimpin (although that's a natural by-product of being a rider), you're looking to protect yourself in case of a fall. You want the jacket to not move around should you, God forbid, fall. Same goes with gloves. Spend the money on quality gloves with CE armor/carbon fiber over your knuckles.

Also, when looking for a helmet, keep in mind that every helmet manufacturer fits differently. Even different model lines within the same manufacturer will vary. Go shopping at your local motorcycle stores and find what fits the shape of your head best. Find one that's snug, and not loose (if you can move it on your head when you're buckled in its too lose) or super tight (you start to get a headache). Even if its a little tight, it'll loosen up a bit with use. For example: Suomy fits my round head perfectly while Shoei fits a little funny and Arai is a little big for my taste.

2. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    Biscuits

Member:
    I've worn Scorpion gear, and I like them. Solid construction and I've never heard anything averse about them. Quality, well priced stuff. The helmet is a bit heavy for my taste, but you won't go wrong with the Exo-700 series like the one in your link.

3. Sep 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    BIGLuke

BIGLuke [OP] I'm a TW addict!

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 tacoma SR5 Double Cab Shortbed Speedwy
    Thank you Biscuits. I think am either gonna go with the 700 or the 400. Anything above that is supposed to be more for long trips and sitting up straight. I found gloves that match too.

4. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    Biscuits

Member:
    The nice thing about the F4i that's really nice is the triple tree is a bit higher than it's younger brother, the 600RR. While this means you don't have quite the same aggressive riding position, its still aggressive enough to get down and low into the bike without breaking your back during long rides.

Are you asking if there was anything I listed above that's more comfortable for long rides?

5. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    BIGLuke

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    No. I was saying that the 400 series and 700 series are more for short rides as opposed to the 1000 which is more for long distance rides. That's what I read online. The 400 series is supposed to be just as good for riding but its a bit heavier, the 700 series is supposed to be designed lighter but more for the track. I think the 400 would be my best choice since I don't plan on riding on the track.

6. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    ThisGuy

ThisGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    litchfield park, az
    Vehicle:
    All Black 2010 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    3" lift, PC wheels, 33" Cooper SST. Volant intake w/ scoop, Gibson exhaust, black tails & 3rd, grillcraft black mesh....more to come
    sweet F4i bro!! Its good to see some bike pics on here onnce in awhile. Cant go wrong with the Honda man my CBR1000 is my favorite so far and ive had a lot of sport bikes. for gear so far my favorites are Dainese (jacket) and Shoei but everyone will give you different opinions just try some on and see how they fit.

7. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    BIGLuke

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    ^ Thank you. I've been looking around on the internet, but I really need to get my but to a dealer and go from there.

Products Discussed in

To Top