1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a Harely need opinions

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by awoit, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sep 23, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    awoit

awoit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    I'm looking at getting a Harley around christmas time :) .. And I need some help because I dont know too much about them.
    I'm simply looking for something I can cruise around on with the GF that has enough power for two people to get up their (or one) meaning I would like something in the 1200cc range? opposed to the 883cc or something like that.
    I dont have too many preferences beyond that except for that people can hear my pipes down the street
    I would also like the handle bars to be above the average height that some bikes have them (not above my head) just placed higher
    I've been to the website but i still wanted to hear some feedback from you guys..
    When I picture what I want to be riding this comes pretty close if not exact.
    O BTW heres a lil somethin i found on google while i was searching for some bike pics =]

Harley-Davidson.jpg
    harleydavidson_softail_springer_2001_2.jpg

2. Sep 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    A very very expensive expenditure of a large amount of cash, where you will spend a lot of $$$ for up keep. Tour Harley's service dept before you buy one....just ask them about he cost of the "first service" hahahhahahahhahaha! What a joke. Or ask about the cost of a stage one or two kit???hahahhahahaha!! I will never ever own or ride a Hardly again. Truly experts in the field of marketing to the masses. The ....M..asses buy them buy the football field load and potatoe potatoe around the countryside with a hard core biker face..aka constipated look on their face. HD came close to being the next company to move overseas. Imagine that..Harley made in ??????? not the USA. HD not a company I would invest in....ever. Do I like HD, no I owned two Road Kings.....would NEVER buy another HD product again. Nothing personal...just an owners experience.

Ok, rant over.........

Taco4x4nc

3. Sep 29, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    senna

senna Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose CA.
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB TRD-OR OME shocks 885 and AAL
    Don't do it.

4. Sep 29, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    around the world
    hmmm NO
    first bike?

5. Sep 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    PETEREDGE

PETEREDGE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PETER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2012 BAJA BLACK 4X4
    ARB FRONT BUMPER...16x8 SR8 RIMS ,YOKAHAMA MT'S,DEMELLO SLIDERS,UPGRADED SOUND SYSTEM...
    Honestly id buy something else,i own a kawasaki vulcan custom and have had no problems and is very low maintence.I ride with lots of friends who own harleys and always have them in the shop,remember with HARLEY you are paying for the name not quality.You could easily get a fully loaded HONDA,SUZUKI,KAWASAKI, or go with a VICTORY if you want american and you will save yourself lots of cash....just my 2 cents

6. Sep 29, 2010 at 11:10 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Harley gets a bad wrap from many folks but it's just a Ford/Chevy thing. We Just had Street Vibrations in Reno last week... thousands of people apparently have operational Harleys...

My only experiance with Harleys is with my 02 Ultra Classic Electra Glide; the only Harley I've ever ridden or owned. All it needs are oil changes, blinker bulbs, and tires. It's never given any problems and at 60k miles it's still more comfortable than my tacoma on the highway (when the sun's out).

I'm not really into the whole Harley culture aside from checking tits at events; I'm not in any clubs and I ride solo or just with the gf on the back. I don't wear leather and actaully I just wear my dual sport atire complete with trials boots and Thor gloves.

The Harley sucks in the city because it's big and gets hot in the summer. But on the open road it's like a cadillac and I can triple+ the amount of miles per day compared to when I ride the dual sport (Suzuki DR650).

All in all just get the bike you like the most and that fits your needs. I've got 3 (dirt, highway, and in between) and it's still not enough for my riding needs.

And regarding that bike in the picture: If you plan on having your GF on the back for more than an hour she's gonna fucking hate that seat... ask me how I know.

7. Sep 30, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    Semperfi

Semperfi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Angel Fire, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road S/B
    I am on my fifth Harley and all I have ever done to any of them is change the oil and filter. I do it my self or go to an independent shop. Harley dealers sock it to you. I take 2 or 3 thousand mile trips and enjoy every mile. Do that on a crotch rocket, bent over like a pretzel and you will be in the hospital.

8. Sep 30, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Harley makes some fine bikes and the Springer Softtail you've pictured is one of the better ones. But if I were in your shoes (and I have been) I'd do a lot more research. I've never been one to follow the sheep who think if it's gotta be American iron, it has to be Harley. In fact, Harley shows to be approximately 48% American made parts... the balance of it goes overseas.
    Many have had quality issues with HD, but a lot of that stems from the days when AMF owned the company.
    I chose to go with Victory bikes... made in Iowa, with 73% American parts. More power, more torque, and much more reliable. I've had two Vics, against one Harley, and the HD I only kept for two months before changing.

Don't know if I'm allowed to do this, but I recommend you check out the website VOG.net, and see what others have to say. I'm Dimonback there too, btw.

9. Sep 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    TacoBow

TacoBow Intentionally cosmetically correct.

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Quad LB
    I could not have said that better... well condensed on all issues covered within. Kudos.

I'll add, after owning two, buy the model you intend to keep right out of the gate. Compromising when purchasing a HD, (or any bike for that matter), will more often than not lead to the subsequent purchase of the one you opted out in the first place.

Oh and please, refrain from becoming a "weekend warrior" with their HD attire and hardened faces as mentioned earlier is this thread. Those yip yaps wouldn't last 60 seconds in the presence of an outlaw motorcycle club. Wild Hogs the movie... revisited regularly at a pub near you. :rolleyes:

10. Sep 30, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    Dimonback

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    X2 on the warrior thing... neat t shirts don't make the bike. Leathers are, however, recommended any time it's cool enough to tolerate them. Otherwise, mesh jacket, boots, jeans, and a real helmet.

11. Sep 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    DO NOT BUY IT! IF YOU HAVE TO, BUY THE STOCK. I have made north of $40K on the stock alone - realized gain.

12. Sep 30, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Harley has a bad rap because they sell brand new bikes that don't run correctly unless you buy another $1,200 exhaust/carb kit. Their accessories are grossly overpriced along with anything else that bares the Harley name and some parts are extremely hard to get (100th anniversary for example). I think they're clean looking bikes but would recommend another brand unless you don't mind overpaying for everything having to do with the Harley.

My dad has owned 2 suzuki's, a Marauder and an Intruder LC 1500. He bought the bigger bike because the 800 had the power to move 2 people but wasn't overly stable at highway speed. The heavy 1500 holds the road much better but would be a bear in the city.

Victory makes some pretty awesome cruisers. Fuel injected, very smooth and powerful. Similar in initial price as a Harley but, in my opinion, a much better buy for the money.

13. Sep 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    How about buying a Harley, riding it off the lot, and have the front wheel fall off because they f88cking left the f88cking nut off? Harley Davidson's are NOT motorcycles, they are LIFESTYLES. Thus, I bought the stock to make money off all the suckers that fall for the hype.

14. Sep 30, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    Dimonback

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]
    Just for grins, you can see that instead of a front license plate, I have a Victory insignia. Not that you can buy them- Victory doesn't have that kind of product marketing team. As for the bikes- both of these were really outstanding:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Sep 30, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    I don't know anything about them, but Indian just opened a really nice new showroom just outside Charlotte in Gastonia.

16. Sep 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    Dimonback

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    Yes, an Indian would be fun... if they've gotten over themselves. Last time they resurrected they started at something like $30k.

17. Oct 1, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    Only suggestion I can give being a former bike owner is don't skimp on power. I wanted something similar to you and tested a V-star 650 back a few years ago. It was my first bike and I thought it had all the power I could ever need. I didn't have it long when I realized I made a big mistake. On the interstate at speed I was taching really high and my buddy who had a Harley 1200 was loping along easily.

Also, keep your eye on Craigslist. There are several nice bikes for sale right now with the economy in the shape it is in.

18. Oct 1, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab

NOt only that Harley's big claim to fame is MADE IN AMERICA. Well, they may be assembled in America but 50% of the parts come from overseas.

19. Oct 1, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    Major91

Major91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffROAD Barcelona Red
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye
    I have own a Harley for about 8 years. I am not bias to any name brand. I also like riding a few rice style bikes. To each there own. Just get something with 2 wheels and have a great time! :thumbsup:

Also when your on the road never trust anyone ever. Never ever think you know everything about riding. Take a few courses and be safe.

Once again.........never trust anyone on the road.....ever!!!

20. Oct 1, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    im on my third harley and im only 21 first one was a buell then i went to a 883c then to a 1200c that i tore apart and built to 1250 with cams and head work i never NEVER had any problems with my bikes and i rode then hard way harder than 90% would if its your first bike get a 883r sportster wisco makes a piston kit for them to make them 1200cc or 12500cc as for your handle bars you sound like you want mini apes and on a sportster they look dumb if you want a big bike get a big bike dont make it look like your trying to have one... if you have any Q? about any of the bikes send me a pm i worked for harley for 3 years while i was in college and rode everything they have! this was my last bike

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top