Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Yamaha R6. Good for beginner?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
Yamaha R6. Good for beginner?

I'm looking at getting a bike in the near future. I found a Yamaha R6 for a pretty decent deal local. Would the R6 be too much bike to start with? I found a Ninja 250 but hell I'd be wanting to upgrade within a couple of months I'm sure. What is yalls input?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Keep in mind that you very likely WILL kill yourself VERY easily if you make mistakes on a 600CC bike and smaller errors can turn out alot worse. A 250 is a bit more forgiving.

But that said- I watched a chick I hung out with learn on a 600 and I only rode a 250 a few times before I got my 600. So it's doable as long as you respect the ride.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
I started out on a 600 despite what I've heard/ read. Just keep it mature and you shall be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha R6. Good for beginner?-dsc_1916.jpg  
Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
I am riding my 500cc this year and I'll sell it to buy a 600cc. I have no complaints about buying a 500cc first. Suzuki GS500F. Looks like a sport bike. It's cheap, easy to fix, and in a year when you're ready go buy your 600.

That's my GS500F in my sig (yes it pops wheelies... in a parking lot)
Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nster986 View Post
I started out on a 600 despite what I've heard/ read. Just keep it mature and you shall be fine.
What the fuck is that thing lol? A coke can at the bottom. Some dish soap in a bottle.

I'm sure they both have their functions lol
Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
it's all about control & maturity. even the biggest bike can be easily ridden when you exercise restraint with the right wrist!

the reason to start with a 250 is that it's not going to have the ungodly acceleration that even a 600cc sportbike (read: racebike) has, so if you make a mistake it's not going to try to kill you... as much.

my first bike was a suzuki sv650 (loved it, but sold it to get my tacoma! ) and it was, in my opinion, the perfect starter bike. tons of torque from the v-twin engine so that was lots of fun but it wasn't as fast as a full-on inline-4 sportbike. i now have a gsx-r600 and i'm really glad i had the sv650 first.

basically it comes down to how mature you are and general motorcycling ability.

take the MSF course!! no excuses!

rubber side down!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
if you have ridden dirt bikes before Ill say do the 600 first. If your clueless with a manual transmission then youll prob want to start in the dirt first. Be responsible and you wont die. Youtube "motorcycle idiot" and don't try anything you see.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd start with a smaller bike first, or at least not a 600cc race bike. The 500 that Numnuts mentioned is a great compromise for a starter bike. It's decent size, handles well and you won't get bored of it quickly like a 250. If you're set on a 600, I'd start with a Katana or something similar. The race bikes are more high strung and a lot less forgiving if you make a mistake.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
i have an r6 and idk if i'd recommend a 600 or larger to start with. All my friends and i started on enduro bikes. I had a bmw f650gs dakar. Everyone else i know who bought a 600 or larger without starting small has wrecked. I would recommend starting with a 250 or a 400 supermotot or something similar. 600 is a lotta bike for someone with no experience. Dirt bike experience and street bike experience are not the same, that's very important to know
Old 09-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
I started on a 600 as well. I never knew how to ride and I did fine. In the 2 years I owned the bike I never dumped it, but I also took the safety course. Just respect the power.

Helpful hint, position your throttle wrist so you can't get nervous and grab a whole lot of power.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
i have an r6 and idk if i'd recommend a 600 or larger to start with. All my friends and i started on enduro bikes. I had a bmw f650gs dakar. Everyone else i know who bought a 600 or larger without starting small has wrecked. I would recommend starting with a 250 or a 400 supermotot or something similar. 600 is a lotta bike for someone with no experience. Dirt bike experience and street bike experience are not the same, that's very important to know
Little off topic but how'd you like the dakar? Will it hold highway speed comfortably (70+ mph)?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Little off topic but how'd you like the dakar? Will it hold highway speed comfortably (70+ mph)?
I had it wil stock gearing at it would do 115 with me on it (155lb).
I then had it re-geared to give it a little more pep at lower speeds and it would still do 110mph, holds highway speeds just fine.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the insurance run besides the buying price?
That is a lot of HP but you will get a lot of opinions here....the Beginners MSF start you out on smaller bikes for a reason.
In the end, you might be fine or not. I started on a 250 on/off enduro & moved up.
The biggest thing is throttle control and driving defensively. Not many mistakes you can make its a fine line.......better to start off and gain your confidence gradually minimizing the risk.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
if you have riden dirt bikes for awhile i would say go for the 600 but don't be a dumbass with the throtle. If no dirt bike experiance go with a 500.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
I have rode dirt bikes and atvs a good bit. I'm not clueless as it comes to manual trans . I will probably wait and try to find a 500. Because I don't want a 250 that I'll be bored with within a couple of months. But at the same time I don't want to get scraped up either . I am going to take the safety course for sure. Thanks for the insight guys
Old 09-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy02ota View Post
I have rode dirt bikes and atvs a good bit. I'm not clueless as it comes to manual trans . I will probably wait and try to find a 500. Because I don't want a 250 that I'll be bored with within a couple of months. But at the same time I don't want to get scraped up either . I am going to take the safety course for sure. Thanks for the insight guys
Sounds like you're making the right decisions.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomadude89 View Post
Sounds like you're making the right decisions.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
GerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
GerhartCss's Tacoma Gallery
Another +1 for the sv650. I have had one for the last two years and it was first motorized bike of any kind. Enough power to handle highway speeds but much more forgiving than a 600. Also have the option of the naked or S version depending if your looking for the SS look. Check out svrider.com for more info on them.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
I learned on an R1 and have been riding for 5 years. If you understand the concept of a manual transmission and can control your wrist then you'll be fine on a 600. Only reason the 250 would be easier is because it's lighter and you sit up straight. The 250 has less horsepower but on a R6 you don't really get into the power band until you get past 8k rpms. Keep it below that and it'll be like riding a 250.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #20
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
What year is it that you are looking for? Early years had a lot more linear power curve which is easier to learn on. New years are very non linear. For example, on my curent race bike (07 R6) I MUSt keep the RPM up above 10K to be in teh powerband, before that I cannot pull out of turns quick enough. A older year will be easier to learn on becuase there is no "suprise pwer" that will sneak up on you like the new models.

All the same, if you have NEVER ridden a bike before, i would not suggest a 600. They are still beasts. For a first bike, I would suggest getting and SV or something similar...make sure to get a USED one becuase you WILLLLLLL drop it, and you will break it. Dont waste your money on a new one.