Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Just got a dirt bike

Old 10-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
gunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant future

gunner_20's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Just got a dirt bike

Well after some searching around on craigslist and bikefinds.com. I ran across my bike. I had to drive 3 hrs 45min to St. Louis area to pick it up, but I think I got a pretty darn good deal.

2001 Honda XR 250R. Its is dang good shape and you can tell it it was well taken care of. It appears that it wasn't rode that much. They guy I bought it from said he hadn't put tires on it and he believes they are the original tires.

I stoked and cant wait to ride it.

Here are some pics, what do you guys think?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Cool! Honda bikes are the sh*t, I have a few.

Are you going to use it for street use or just dirt, or both?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
You got a great bike, it will last forever those bikes are tanks. Literally tanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
gunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Cool! Honda bikes are the sh*t, I have a few.

Are you going to use it for street use or just dirt, or both?

Just dirt.. Got a couple of National Forest Area close by that I can ride. Then there are a couple spots to ride within 2 hr drive.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. That thing will last forever.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Nice. That thing will last forever.
I looked at the WR's but I just couldn't afford one of them. Plus I have always been a Honda guy
Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner_20 View Post
I looked at the WR's but I just couldn't afford one of them. Plus I have always been a Honda guy
well good luck with it. If you start to outgrow it, there are lots of performance upgrades available for those bikes.

I told you about thumpertalk.com before right?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #8

I heard of the website. I checked it out the other day and it seems to have a lot of information.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
braaap

Quote:
I heard of the website. I checked it out the other day and it seems to have a lot of information.
Yeah its a great site for when you eventually want to start upgrading the bike. That won't take long lol.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
ride red!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #11

What kind of oil should I run in it?? We dont have a Honda dealer around here so i would have to order Honda Oil.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
braaap

Quote:
What kind of oil should I run in it?? We dont have a Honda dealer around here so i would have to order Honda Oil.
I just run conventional 5W-40 in my little brother's XR100.
If I was you I would run blue bottle Rotella T. Its what my brother has run in his CRF 250 R since new (easily 70 hours on it now) and it has worked well.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
You don't have to run Honda oil or "motorcycle oil". You can go to Wal-Mart and pick it up or places that sell oil. I usually pick up the 5 qt. containers, they're cheaper.

Just pick up what the manual recommends, I would run a synthetic; I would also recommend running a synthetic in the trans and you might as well change it too.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
Hellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
Hellmutt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
You don't have to run Honda oil or "motorcycle oil". You can go to Wal-Mart and pick it up or places that sell oil. I usually pick up the 5 qt. containers, they're cheaper.

Just pick up what the manual recommends, I would run a synthetic; I would also recommend running a synthetic in the trans and you might as well change it too.
Pretty sure almost all dirtbikes ( since 90's anyway ) are trans/engine case combined and share the oil between them........be careful with running synthetics, not ALL synthetics are good for wet clutch bikes -- standardized synthetics are usually fine, but keep an eye out for "friction modifiers" that will let the fibers slip quickly and you'll be installing a clutch pack before you know it........but, a good SAE oil is without question good enough for trail use........nothing under 5wt if you're riding in the spring/summer/fall months only and nothing over 20wt for all year round.
Nice ride by the way........mind asking how much you paid for it?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmutt View Post
Pretty sure almost all dirtbikes ( since 09's anyway ) are trans/engine case combined and share the oil between them........be careful with running synthetics, not ALL synthetics are good for wet clutch bikes -- standardized synthetics are usually fine, but keep an eye out for "friction modifiers" that will let the fibers slip quickly and you'll be installing a clutch pack before you know it........but, a good SAE oil is without question good enough for trail use........nothing under 5wt if you're riding in the spring/summer/fall months only and nothing over 20wt for all year round.
Yes, I know.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #16
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pretty sure almost all dirtbikes ( since 09's anyway ) are trans/engine case combined and share the oil between them........be careful with running synthetics, not ALL synthetics are good for wet clutch bikes -- standardized synthetics are usually fine, but keep an eye out for "friction modifiers" that will let the fibers slip quickly and you'll be installing a clutch pack before you know it........but, a good SAE oil is without question good enough for trail use........nothing under 5wt if you're riding in the spring/summer/fall months only and nothing over 20wt for all year round.
Most of the moto-cross bikes do have seperate oil systems, the XRs don't. You can use almost any oil in these bikes as long as you change it and the filter regularly and be SURE the oil you choose is a MOTORCYCLE oil, it will have a "M" on the spec list on the back label.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #17
Hellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
Hellmutt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Most of the moto-cross bikes do have seperate oil systems, the XRs don't. You can use almost any oil in these bikes as long as you change it and the filter regularly and be SURE the oil you choose is a MOTORCYCLE oil, it will have a "M" on the spec list on the back label.
Really? I've had over a dozen 2strokes and 4strokes alike since mid 80's and ALL of them shared crankcase oil with the transmission - they're both within the same case halves, and haven't seen seperated trans/eng oils since the 70's models? Never had one with an oil filter either, but like I said these were older late 80's up to mid 90's model bikes..........Guess I could be wrong, but nothing I've owned has been this way and rebuilt a few in my day
Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #18
Falcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Falcon86's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet now head on over to advrider.com and join up with us there.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #19

Most modern four strokes will use the same oil in the engine and trans.......BUT it is still a good idea to double check in the manual, to make sure.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Pretty sure almost all dirtbikes ( since 90's anyway ) are trans/engine case combined and share the oil between them........be careful with running synthetics, not ALL synthetics are good for wet clutch bikes -- standardized synthetics are usually fine, but keep an eye out for "friction modifiers" that will let the fibers slip quickly and you'll be installing a clutch pack before you know it........but, a good SAE oil is without question good enough for trail use........nothing under 5wt if you're riding in the spring/summer/fall months only and nothing over 20wt for all year round.

It is a shared case. I found a dirtbike shop around here that does carry the Honda Oil. So I'm probably just going to go that route to be sure. I have already ordered some stuff from www.rockymountainatvmc.com (they seem to have some good prices.) Got a UNI foam air filter on the way and a new chain and sprockets.

Picked it up for $1,300 he was asking $1,500. The XR's, if they are still running, dont seem to go below $1,000 around here.