Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Loading a Motorcycle in a DCSB (pics)

Old 10-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Loading a Motorcycle in a DCSB (pics)

There have been a few threads asking how to and people showing different methods so I figured I'd put up some pics of my method.
First is a little contraption I made to keep the front tire straight while in transport. Just a couple of 2x4's I had laying around screwed together.

The front D-rings I added. Purchased from Toyota, same as the factory ones in the back of the bed. I put an added link on to make it easier to hook a strap on to.

Back the truck up against a hill, or put the back end in a ditch. From this angle I didn't even need to have the bike running to load it up.

A shot of the front tied down. I bought the strap that uses the handlebars through Dennis Kirk.

All tied down, 2 straps on the front, 2 on the back.

All set and ready to go.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool good looking bike and taco too
Old 10-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
GoatFiddyone is on a distinguished road

GoatFiddyone's Tacoma Gallery
The strap he is referring to is called a Canyon Dancer. They are without a doubt the best way to tie a street bike down.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatFiddyone View Post
The strap he is referring to is called a Canyon Dancer. They are without a doubt the best way to tie a street bike down.
Thanks, I remembered where I got it but couldn't remember what they're called.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
oldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud of
oldtimertoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Good job and nice bike!

Can you tell me a little more about the tie downs you added, did you have to drill holes? I noticed but have not really looked but there looks to be a few holes in the bed of my truck, not sure if they go through the frame though, could you give a little more detail on how you added the tie downs.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #6

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimertoyota View Post
Good job and nice bike!

Can you tell me a little more about the tie downs you added, did you have to drill holes? I noticed but have not really looked but there looks to be a few holes in the bed of my truck, not sure if they go through the frame though, could you give a little more detail on how you added the tie downs.
Sure. I bought the same D-ring from Toyota that is already mounted in the rear of the bed (Cost about $50 for the pair, they aren't called the Stealership for nothin'). It came with the D-ring and the shouldered bolt. The holes that are in the front of your bed (there are 3) are for water to drain out of the bed. I drilled the outter 2 holes slightly larger to accomodate the bolt. I used a large plate washer on the underside and tightened them down. It is NOT bolted to the frame. The frame rails were too close together to tie the motorcycle down.
Another option is military D-rings. You can get a set of military D-rings and install them with the bed bolts. There are 6 large torx head bolts connecting the bed to the frame. You undo them one at a time and install the D-rings, and tighten them in. Link to some Army surplus D-rings.
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...r-500-3752.cfm
Another option is the JPMetal Fab bracket. If I had known about this before I drilled in my D-rings, I would have gone this route. Check out post 10 of this thread. It uses the side racks but mounts in a corner so you're not just pulling on one side of the bed.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...2-hauling.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...-solution.html
Old 11-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
There have been a few threads asking how to and people showing different methods so I figured I'd put up some pics of my method.
First is a little contraption I made to keep the front tire straight while in transport. Just a couple of 2x4's I had laying around screwed together.

The front D-rings I added. Purchased from Toyota, same as the factory ones in the back of the bed. I put an added link on to make it easier to hook a strap on to.

Back the truck up against a hill, or put the back end in a ditch. From this angle I didn't even need to have the bike running to load it up.

A shot of the front tied down. I bought the strap that uses the handlebars through Dennis Kirk.

All tied down, 2 straps on the front, 2 on the back.

All set and ready to go.
I have the newer canyon dancer that I used to use for my R1.
The older one with the straps had problems cause it would twist on the throttle and put pressure on it.. The newer ones have a "cup" that slides over the ends instead.
Looks like you have the one with the straps. correct?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
I have the newer canyon dancer that I used to use for my R1.
The older one with the straps had problems cause it would twist on the throttle and put pressure on it.. The newer ones have a "cup" that slides over the ends instead.
Looks like you have the one with the straps. correct?
Yep, I've got the older model, I didn't know they revised it. I thought that was a dumb set-up, I fiddle with that thing for 20 minutes every time so when the strap has pressure on it, it doesn't twist the throttle. I might have to look into the newer ones. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep, I've got the older model, I didn't know they revised it. I thought that was a dumb set-up, I fiddle with that thing for 20 minutes every time so when the strap has pressure on it, it doesn't twist the throttle. I might have to look into the newer ones. Thanks for the heads up!
Yea. there like an abs cup that slips over the end. No fumbling with straps or anything. pull it tight and hook your other straps to it.
I was talked out of the "older" style because the strap somehow turned the throttle back to full on and was putting uneaded pressure on the cable and stretching it. It was generating quite a bit of torque on the handle itself.
pm me you addy and I will send you out the gen 2 with the cups. Hell, I dont need it since some asshat thiefs decided to steal my beloved Rossi skinned R1 while I was at work one nite.
5 locks and they just picked it up and tossed it in a mini van. Douche nozzles.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #11

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
here's a pic of the gen 2 cups.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Holy crap man, that sucks! Some dick tried that with my old CBR when I was in Richmond, VA. They broke the handlebar lock but I had a Kryptonite lock on the disk they didn't know how to deal with. My neighbor said he saw them rocking the bike back and forth and when he yelled at them, they dropped the bike into the truck and took off. Left a nice dent in the side of my Chevy. The new method I use is the same disk lock, but make a 200 lb block of concrete with an eye hook in it and run a high strength chain between the eye hook and the kryptonite lock and block it in with the truck. Someone could still yank it if they really wanted to but I live in a complex with much nicer bikes that aren't as well protected so I figure I'm safe.

As far as the new Canyon Dancer, I'll shoot you a PM, thanks for the offer!

Very nice bike by the way!!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #13

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Thx. if they want it, they'll get it. Deter as much as possible and hope for the best.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
cbrbob is on a distinguished road
Name: Bob
cbrbob's Tacoma Gallery
Try using soft straps around the lower triple clamps, then you never have a chance of the clip-on breaking(which does happen quite often I am sad to say). Also remember to have ALL the straps you use pull FORWARD, just in case one in front fails, the rest will keep it in place and not pull it to the rear. Wil 4 straps forward, you won't need the chock(boards in this case).
Old 11-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrbob View Post
Try using soft straps around the lower triple clamps, then you never have a chance of the clip-on breaking(which does happen quite often I am sad to say). Also remember to have ALL the straps you use pull FORWARD, just in case one in front fails, the rest will keep it in place and not pull it to the rear. Wil 4 straps forward, you won't need the chock(boards in this case).
You still need the boards because of the composite box. It flexes more than the standard metal boxes. This is the first truck I've ever needed a wheel chock in. I do have all 4 straps pulling the bike forward (including the back straps) but because the box flexes, the first time I hauled the bike, the front tire turned sideways. Fortunately the straps were tight enough where it stayed standing up and the suspension took up the slack. Another tip for hauling a bike, check your straps after a few miles and make sure they're still tight.

With a full fairing bike like this one, I can not get a strap to the triple clamp. The geometry doesn't work, the straps would be pulling against the plastic fairings unless I removed them before hand. I could tie my old CBR like that and did not need the Canyon Dancer.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #16
cbrbob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You still need the boards because of the composite box. It flexes more than the standard metal boxes. This is the first truck I've ever needed a wheel chock in. I do have all 4 straps pulling the bike forward (including the back straps) but because the box flexes, the first time I hauled the bike, the front tire turned sideways. Fortunately the straps were tight enough where it stayed standing up and the suspension took up the slack. Another tip for hauling a bike, check your straps after a few miles and make sure they're still tight.

With a full fairing bike like this one, I can not get a strap to the triple clamp. The geometry doesn't work, the straps would be pulling against the plastic fairings unless I removed them before hand. I could tie my old CBR like that and did not need the Canyon Dancer.
Hmm, never used a chock yet in 4 years with many different bikes, even with the flex in the bed. Never had a wheel turn yet. I see if the fairing extends too far forward it will contact it, though I never had anything I carried touch.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #17
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind that the throttle grip is a plastic sleeve on the handlebar which is easily broken. The clutch grip is directly on the handlebar. At least that's the way my magna is setup.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 AM   #18
cbrbob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Keep in mind that the throttle grip is a plastic sleeve on the handlebar which is easily broken. The clutch grip is directly on the handlebar. At least that's the way my magna is setup.
Which is why I try and not use handlebar style straps if at all possible. I do have a Cycle Cynch which is like a canyon dancer, but better if necessary.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabex35 View Post
what kind of ramp is that?
I'll have to check and see if there's a brand on it. My parents gave them to me for Christmas a couple years ago. They're rated to 750 lbs each and fold in half for storage. They're also aluminum so they're fairly lightweight. I'll check to see if I can find a brand on them when I get home but I'm pretty sure these are the ramps.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_15771_15771