Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Stabalizing a motorcycle in the bed

Old 11-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
obanion63 is on a distinguished road
Name: Arnold
obanion63's Tacoma Gallery
Stabalizing a motorcycle in the bed

I have a 2010 Tacoma long bed. I wanted to add some additional D-rings in the front of the bed to secure my 2001 Honda Shadow. I went to truck shop and they said that adding new D-rings was not possible with the compsite bed Tacomas come with.

Would the rings on the slide tracks around the bed work? I know they say max load 250lbs but my concern is they are high and it would be harder to tighten the front fork down.

Any suggestions on how to securly strap the bike down would be great!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post45406. There are also tie down brackets from JPM fab but they still use the rail system.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...free-mods.html
Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
4x4runner2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4runner2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4runner2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4runner2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4runner2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4runner2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4runner2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4runner2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4runner2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4runner2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4runner2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
4x4runner2002's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...available.html

works great...very strong
for a steet bike get the canyon dancer
Old 11-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by obanion63 View Post
I have a 2010 Tacoma long bed. I wanted to add some additional D-rings in the front of the bed to secure my 2001 Honda Shadow. I went to truck shop and they said that adding new D-rings was not possible with the compsite bed Tacomas come with.

Would the rings on the slide tracks around the bed work? I know they say max load 250lbs but my concern is they are high and it would be harder to tighten the front fork down.

Any suggestions on how to securly strap the bike down would be great!

What Shadow do you have? I have a 2001 Shadow Sabre.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
obanion63 is on a distinguished road
Name: Arnold
obanion63's Tacoma Gallery
its a shadow spirit
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
Add the additional D-rings. Mount them under the bed mounting bolts. They are plenty strong mounted there.

For securing, I recommend soft loops for the fork

Ratched down just enough to stabalize the bike. Don't compress the crap out of your suspension. You'll get leaky for seals.

I don't recommend canyon dancers for the bars. They are convenient, but they put a lot of stress on the bars.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post45406. There are also tie down brackets from JPM fab but they still use the rail system.
X2. Just follow that post in the free/cheap mods section. I also did this mod and added 4 extra D-rings in my 2006 DC SB Tacoma. We also did my buddies 2010 DC LB Tacoma as well. I pack around a 2008 Honda CRF250r with no issues at all.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Cutter29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCutter29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCutter29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCutter29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCutter29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCutter29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCutter29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCutter29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCutter29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCutter29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCutter29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Air medical pilot
Cutter29's Tacoma Gallery
i added two D rings under the front mounting bolts and use a soft fork strap. i strap my R6 down to all 4 D rings and have never had any issues.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
ThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
ThisGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I have an extra set of canyon dancers ill sell ya for $20 shipped. they were used like 5 times at the most
Old 11-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
blendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blendedfamily's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck View Post
Add the additional D-rings. Mount them under the bed mounting bolts. They are plenty strong mounted there.

For securing, I recommend soft loops for the fork

Ratched down just enough to stabalize the bike. Don't compress the crap out of your suspension. You'll get leaky for seals.

I don't recommend canyon dancers for the bars. They are convenient, but they put a lot of stress on the bars.

I've d-ringed the back, using the bed mount bolts. I tie down both of my race bikes on the two rings up front, and use the rear rings with one strap, going from ring to ring, through the swingarm and wheels.

You can smash the forks down, just not for days at a time, and don't bury the fork, like buck said. I think canyon dancers work great, just be careful, because they have a tendency to squish and slide your grips, and as a result the throttle return may not work as well.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
If you have anything other than a dirt bike, you want to be very careful around the 'gate. While you can certainly load a big bike, if it bounces around, you could bend the tailgate.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
If you have anything other than a dirt bike, you want to be very careful around the 'gate. While you can certainly load a big bike, if it bounces around, you could bend the tailgate.
My 420 lb Raptor sits on my tailgate just fine. No bending after driving on trails and roads.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
My 420 lb Raptor sits on my tailgate just fine. No bending after driving on trails and roads.
I was thinking KTM 990 size...
Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
ikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud of

Marines: 3rd Force Reconnaissance Company
Name: Andrew
ikillterrorists's Tacoma Gallery
I put D-rings in the side of my bed...would they be strong enough to use to tie down a bike?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
ikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud of

I'm scared they'll like rip out or something
Old 09-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikillterrorists View Post
I put D-rings in the side of my bed...would they be strong enough to use to tie down a bike?
Not if it is just the composite material they are fastened to.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #18
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Canyon dancers work well for a bike with low bars. A soft strap for big cruisers is what I prefer. Do not use the sliding tie downs on the bed rail.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
I run the D ring mod to the frame bolts in the front of the bed. I also use a baxley wheel chock with canyon dancer. Bike stays up ok its own and the tie downs keep it level while in transit. I also modded the tailgate with a steel panel for longer bikes that have their rear wheel rest on the gate. Not one problem with this setup.

OR: You could install a bed bar (runs across the bed rails) to add exrta support for the OEM bed rails. Like a strut brace but for your bed rails.

OR: You can get a Bed Buddy that attached to the bed rail and adds additional support.

OR: You can get Tie Down Reinforcement brackets.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewH View Post
Not if it is just the composite material they are fastened to.
Hm well I am picking up my motorcycle tomorrow...what should I do? I only have those rings and the original ones in the back...