1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ducati Monster 696 or Kawasaki Ninja 650?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by solus, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jan 31, 2011 at 11:00 PM
    Hank4444

Hank4444 Member...?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Daphne
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport DCSB
    Dog-Proofed Rear seat, 5100's, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, Fog light mod, map light mod, DTRL mod, Volant CAI with ram air, UltraGauge, Blacked out emblems, extra D-rings, Bedlined front valance, Satoshi, Hella 500ff 55w HID, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Leather arm rests, Weathertechs, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Oil catch can, URD MAF Calibrator, Wheelers HD AAL, Thule Roof Rack, OME 885x with Lean Spacer, RedLine Hood struts, Access LE Tonneau, LED Bedrail lights,
    Ducati for sure, if it's between those two bikes.

I have a 2006 SV650S (see my avatar).

I love it, but will upgrade one day to a Ducati.

As far as looks and styling on the SV... you can change them. I did. SVrider.com has TONS of info about these bikes, venders, etc... its like the TW of all things SV.
    I changed out fairings, lines, retrofitted a GSXR 750 rear 5.5" rim (fits a 180 now), etc.....

And yes I can say that in the mountains I beat my friend on a ZX10r secondary to my low end torque. Plan on changing it to a track only bike this spring. I love draggin knees more than doing tricks. I love L-twins (90 degree "V-twin"). More reliable, better MPG, sound completely sick with the right pipes.

But I am alittle biased now.

Don't get the 650, you will regret it later. Ducati all the way.

2. Jan 31, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    ^why would I regret the Ninja 650...

3. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Ducati!

4. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:34 AM
    SmEYELey

SmEYELey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Whittier,Cali
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner White Tacoma
    Tint, Flowmasters Exhaust, King coilovers w/resi, tc uca & spindles
    between those two bikes i would say the duc. i've had both and the ninja was a cool around town bike but i felt a lil limited when going places cuz of the power and tank. the duc was cool and diff but around were i live there wasn't much dealers around me. and as far as the triumph i wouldn't get it cuz it's english but then again i'm prejudice against anything they make had nothing but problems with previous vehicles. i'm not sure if they still make them but Yamaha made a bike called the fazer the was diff.

5. Feb 1, 2011 at 1:31 AM
    Hank4444

Hank4444 Member...?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Daphne
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport DCSB
    Dog-Proofed Rear seat, 5100's, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, Fog light mod, map light mod, DTRL mod, Volant CAI with ram air, UltraGauge, Blacked out emblems, extra D-rings, Bedlined front valance, Satoshi, Hella 500ff 55w HID, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Leather arm rests, Weathertechs, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Oil catch can, URD MAF Calibrator, Wheelers HD AAL, Thule Roof Rack, OME 885x with Lean Spacer, RedLine Hood struts, Access LE Tonneau, LED Bedrail lights,
    Well the reason I said that is because I have rode with people that have them. They love them for a decent beginner bike, but when they go to sell (upgrade) their is not much resale value. I took a ride on a 650 before and it was okay. I felt like it was lacking for being a 649cc sport bike. I like ducati's and everyone I meet has no regrets about them. Well all except one who didn't like messing with the heads so he sold it.

Is this your first street bike?

6. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:06 AM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    If it was my choice on the two bikes id go for the Duc, ive just never been a big fan of kawi's. I am looking at getting an Aprilia 750 dorsoduro, dont wanna jack your thread but if you like the Italian bikes, these are pretty damn nice and ride comfortably

[​IMG]

7. Feb 1, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I love that sound Duc motors make. Same with the Speed Triple although it is different.

Both are nice bikes and you couldn't go wrong with either. I think there might be a newish Monster on BARF in the for sale section real soon (if not already).

Good luck!

8. Feb 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    I too have owned a Ninja 250, and honestly it was no slouch. I jetted it and put a pipe on it (Stupid loud!). It was awesome on gas and, where its no speed demon, had no problem getting to 60 mph, did 90 once... once. I wouldn't take it on the highway though, it just doesn't belong there.

9. Feb 1, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The Ducati is a better overall machine as far as engineering, power, ability to be modified, etc. but make sure you understand the maintenance requirements of the Ducati before you own it, they will be higher than the Kawasaki.

I'd also look at the SV, it's a great bike and have you thought about the Yamaha FZ6? The FZ6 has the inline 4 cyl engine but an upright seating position and dirt bike style handlebars so it's more comfortable for longer rides.

10. Feb 1, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    unentered

unentered Son of Baconator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB4x4MGM
    OME 886/Dakar, ARE CX, AMS Filter, WT Mats, 255/85/16s
    I'm riding a Buell XB12s, and if you want to talk about a short wheelbase, yeah... That bike's got it. I'm coming from an SV650, and I will forever be recommending that bike. I loved it. A good friend of mine has it now and he loves it. My girlfriend has the newer style ('05) and she loves hers too. The wheelbase may be a little bit longer, but it's just as nimble as other bikes out there, and has plenty of power for the every day rider. The power curve on the SV's is phenomenal, fun can be had at almost any rpm. I like oogling over and listening to Ducatis, but I wouldn't want to do the maintenance to one. Triumph street triple is also a nice choice. The Kawi 650 I don't think is the same class up against these other bikes. It's better suited with the katana style bikes. Kind of a cushy sport bike.

11. Feb 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Really, the Kawi 650 has the same output as the SV650 and a short wheelbase and trailing arm... you'd think it would keep up...

As for street bike... I have a Ninja 250R but I guess this would be my first street bike with some power

12. Feb 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    My suggestion is to ride & sit on each bike and/or lots of bikes.
    I did this when I bought my yamaha FZ6R last summer.
    My best friend is a powersports dealer & encouraged me to do this even if it meant not buying from him. He is a Kawa, Yammi, Aprilla dealer.
    My heart was set on a Kawasaki Versys which basically has the same engine as the 650R w/ upgraded components aimed at a different class (V Strom/BMW riders).
    Without a lowering kit, there was no way I would feel comfortable on the Versys & was seriously thinking of going that route until one of my friends told me his gf was selling her mint barely used 650R cheap.
    I liked the sounds of that so got to take it for an extended ride which was nice but honestly I could not get comfortable on it.
    The twin engine was buzzy in the grips & pegs & the shifting not to my liking at all. It doesn't make it a bad bike but it just didn't work for me.
    So seeing how the same engine was in the ER-6n & Versys that eliminated Kawaski.
    From there I tried Suzuki Gladius (what the heck was suzuki thinking?), GSX650F, the FZ6, FZ6R & a couple of out of my price range Aprillas.
    As far as the Duc, I could not afford it. Beautiful beautiful bikes but too deep pockets for me (maintenance & price).
    Have fun shopping and hope you find the bike you like :)

13. Feb 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I've pretty much ruled out the SV650 because I don't like the wheelbase or the way they look. As for these two bikes... eventually I plan to get two bikes(maybe not these two) so that my GF can upgrade her 250r.

14. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    Hank4444

Hank4444 Member...?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Daphne
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport DCSB
    Well as for a "street bike with some power" statement...

Trust me the 250 has enough power. I've seen people killed off the 50cc dirt bikes. So not pointing/calling you out, but you have to respect the power of any bike.

Just saying.

Not throw another bike in the mix, but what about the VFR800? V-4 engine sounds amazing.

15. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    No real choices here other than the Ducati.

16. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    kprstaco

kprstaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4X4 DCLB AT JBL
    +1 on the Triumph. I have the Speed Triple and can't think of one bad thing about it. Well, maybe that wheelies are a $1K fine now over here :mad:

17. Feb 1, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    is that a real question? ducati!

18. Feb 1, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Yeah seems like the Ducati is odds on favorite but I think I'm going with the Kawasaki... mainly because its A LOT cheaper... up front and maintenance wise.

Thanks for all the input though. I can get a new Ninja 650 for about $1000 more than a used one 2 years old. As for the Ducati I can't seem to find one new for under $8000 and used for under $7000.

the funny thing is that next summer my GF is going to want to upgrade... I may just get the Ducati then and pass the Ninja on to her.

19. Feb 1, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Oh you are right it has plenty of power for the street, but not for the freeway. I've almost been ran over 3-4 times by trucks and cars merging onto the freeway because the 250 just doesn't have enough acceleration on the on-ramp. 7.72 sec 0-60 is not enough for a motorcycle... if I was driving a small car or something it would be another story but a tiny bike is almost invisible to drivers on the freeway

20. Feb 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    My first bike was a 05 Monster 803cc.
    Great bike. I loved it.
    As far as maintaince, yeah it was probably a little more than a japanese bike. But it never gave me any trouble and I know the guy I sold it to hasn't taken care of it like I used to but from what I have heard it hasn't let him down. And I do know that the newer ones have longer intervals between scheduled maintaince.
    The only thing I didn't like, and the reason I got rid of it eventually, was the non adjustable front forks and the weak rear spring. I had plans of swapping them out with some forks from a gixxer and upgrading the shock but when I found my superduke that all went out the window. After riding the KTM I couldn't even stand to ride my monster anymore.
    I don't know if they 696's suspension is adjustable, might be something to look into cause it really makes a difference.

BUT on the other hand a guy at work had a 650R and really, really liked it.

I agree with simon's mom and say that if you can, definatly go ride both and check 'em out.

But based on what little I know of these two bikes... I still would go with the monster.

Products Discussed in

To Top