Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Ducati Monster 696 or Kawasaki Ninja 650?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Ducati Monster 696 or Kawasaki Ninja 650?

So I wanna buy a new motorcycle to cruise around on during this beautiful weather. I want a sporty motorcycle with a somewhat standard sitting posture so I've narrowed it down to these two Bikes.

I can get the Ninja for about $5000 and the Ducati runs about $7000

any suggestions?

Ducati

Kawasaki

Please don't say... You should get a gixxer or an R6 because I don't want either I want something with a more standard riding posture
Old 01-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
blu is on a distinguished road
blu's Tacoma Gallery
I can't speak for the Ninja but I love my monster 696. The narrow(er) rear tire makes it nimble for city and mountain rides. A little down on power, but still plenty fast! More practical and usable power thanks to the sweet twin motor. I had a 2008 R6 prior to the monster and am glad to have made the switch... the R6 was just too much for the street and my riding ability. That said, i wish i wouldve gotten the monster 1100 for a little more power. Stock exhaust sounds pretty good but aftermarket pipes (esp. termignonis) can be pricey. p.s. no side bags since it has high mount pipes.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Ducati
Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Slip is on a distinguished road

Slip's Tacoma Gallery
Love ducs, but may check out the triumph. Pretty comfy.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
If it is not about bottom dollar Go with the DUC!!!
They are so much cooler.
If you want to go with the easy maint run forever get the KAW.

I love the Ducatis
Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
interm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant future
Name: Matt
interm_4's Tacoma Gallery
id take the duc over the kawa between the two, the triumph speed triples are nice bikes for sure.

have you looked at the suzuki sv650's as well?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #8

Slip's Tacoma Gallery
The SV650 is another nice bike. I thinks is liquid cooled like the kawi and the trip. Plus, theres lots of aftermarket parts available for the Suzuki. I've heard they are pretty much bullet proof as well...
Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
I've looked at the sv650s but I don't like them.... wheelbase too long... styling... etc...

i've also heard bad things about ducati reliability
Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i second the sv650. i had an '05 sv650 for my first bike and loved every minute of it. great reliability, upright ergos (go with the naked version), but plenty of torque to keep you interested (torque is obviously more usable on the street than top-end anyways!).

they look great, in my opinion. if you like the looks of the duc, you'll probably find the sv650 right up your alley.

plus, they're cheap. i got mine with for $4k and it was super clean and had 8k miles and that was 2 years ago.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #11

Slip's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, all these bikes are nice. Best to take a test ride and let us know what you decide. I'd be interested to know what you found/liked. I've been lusting after a duc or trip for quite awhile. Guess I should bite the bullet and sell the quad.... Just to many college girls talking on cell phones around here. Lot of close calls on my old bike....
Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
flyby08 is on a distinguished road

flyby08's Tacoma Gallery
i can't speak about the ducati, but the 650R is a comfortable bike. SV650 is a real nice bike but the statement about the wheelbase is true. good luck
Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
ROLLIN ON RUST
senor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
senor taco's Tacoma Gallery
My dad had a ninja 600, Ducati 900 monster and a Ducati 748. He never Had any problems with thu Ducati's ever.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
toytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant future
Name: Jason
toytacoma22's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe look for a used MV Agusta Brutale. I really wanted a Monster until I saw the Brutale. But to answer your quesion between the Monster and the Kawasaki it is up to you. Both are good bikes but choose what you like. If it was me making the choice I would choose the Ducati not for the name but because IMO it is a nicer looking bike.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
LIVESTRONG
Bullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bullzi511Tacoma06's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, that's two good looking bikes. I know nothing about them so my input is essentially worthless. This is the one I'm eyeing:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...&id=430&scid=6
Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #16
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
I own a 2001 SV650s. Rode alot with a friend who had a Monster 648? bike to bike, we were equal. Skill, he was a little more willing to push it to the edge and scuff up the chicken strip than I was. But the Sv is a great bike for not alot of money, and very nimble. I was able to out ride GSXR600's and Ninja 600's on the Tail of the Dragon (NC/TN Route 129) with no problem. the torque is much fun in the twisties and around town. Top end it does not have. 135 mph max. wheel base was never an issue. Its all personal preference. My advice would be to visit some dealershits and ride some models. Pick what you like best. And as always, keep it shiney side up. Good Motoring.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #17
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullzi511Tacoma06 View Post
Damn, that's two good looking bikes. I know nothing about them so my input is essentially worthless. This is the one I'm eyeing:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...&id=430&scid=6
the ER-6n is the same bike as the Ninja 650 just the naked version... nice bike too
Old 01-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #18
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip View Post
Love ducs, but may check out the triumph. Pretty comfy.

whoa! thats a sick bike... I am going to look into it
Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #19
LIVESTRONG
Bullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bullzi511Tacoma06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
the ER-6n is the same bike as the Ninja 650 just the naked version... nice bike too
Oh ok. Thanks! See- clueless when it comes to bikes. Good to know I still have good taste though
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #20
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosiveTendency View Post
I own a 2001 SV650s. Rode alot with a friend who had a Monster 648? bike to bike, we were equal. Skill, he was a little more willing to push it to the edge and scuff up the chicken strip than I was. But the Sv is a great bike for not alot of money, and very nimble. I was able to out ride GSXR600's and Ninja 600's on the Tail of the Dragon (NC/TN Route 129) with no problem. the torque is much fun in the twisties and around town. Top end it does not have. 135 mph max. wheel base was never an issue. Its all personal preference. My advice would be to visit some dealershits and ride some models. Pick what you like best. And as always, keep it shiney side up. Good Motoring.
Yeah I've been going to dealerships all over and oogling the bikes, I think I'm ready to buy one... I have a little Ninja 250R which is great but I figure I want something with a bit more power but still makes a great commuter... considering I was on the freeway down in Salinas and almost got ran over a bunch of times due to the slower acceleration of the 250R not bad but being tiny and slow it very dangerous... 7.72 sec 0-60 just ain't enough for the big free ways...

the 250 does great around town and get awesome mpg but just need a little more power