1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To save money

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by rjclemen, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mar 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    rjclemen

rjclemen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner The good looking Blue
    Tint, Bed Cover, HIDs, stubby antenna, double din system, debagded, All Terrain bedside stickers.
    I have been wanting to buy a motorcycle for a long time for personal reasons. Recently with the gas pricing issues the thought of buying a motorcycle has come up more often due to their efficiency. I am spending roughly 300 a month on gas for the taco. I can only see that cost going up with the state of the gas crisis. Realizing that my initial investement would be relative to what type/make of bike I would buy. In your opinion would buying a motorcycle be a worthwhile economic decision? Few of the factors I have realized are detailed below.

1. Monthly savings would be not be AMAZING.
    2. Can only realistically be driven about 7-8 months out of the year
    3. The most fuel efficient bikes aren't my cup of tea (ex: scooters)
    4. Chance for it to be stolen. While I live in a high rent district I still worry about theft.
    5. Initial cost of the bike versus long term cost savings. Would it even be worth it?

2. Mar 7, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That last one is a killer, depending on the bike. Figure out what you're realistically going to save in gas money and calculate how long it will take to pay off a motorcycle. Don't forget insurance, registration and maintenance for the motorcycle. If you're looking at buying a $15,000 bike for fuel savings alone, it's not worth it at all.

If you're looking for something reasonable, you can find a cheap, small displacement bike like single cylinder dual sport dirt bike or there are also some smaller cruisers and sport bikes. You could go for something a little nicer and more expensive but you'd be kidding yourself if you think its just about fuel savings at that point.:D Just an FYI, I have a 2002 Suzuki Katana 750, I bought it 2.5 years ago for under $4k and it gets almost 50 MPG with a Yoshi exhaust and stage I kit. Don't get a scooter... Motorcycles are a lot of fun, just be safe!

As far as theft, you can use locks but they mostly just stop the honest people from stealing it. 4 guys and 2 metal poles and they can lift the bike into a truck and get the locks off in their own shop. Keeping it covered helps. Some newer (and expensive) bikes have alarms and electronic 'kills' built-in.

3. Mar 7, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    this is how i have been saving money....i dont drive my Taco i drive my 97 nissan altima
    i eat rice and frozen chicken from sams club

my sig has me on the brink being a broke ass

4. Mar 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    If your doing it to save money then get a little ninja 250. They are cheap and get good gas mileage.

5. Mar 7, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    i have a cbr1000rr for the riding season ;)

6. Mar 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    Pingo

Pingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 S/C TRD Offroad A/C
    My advice would be to get a supermoto or dual sport bike. I regularly got around 65 mpg on my drz400sm. They can go pretty much anywhere, are insane amounts of fun, and pretty much bulletproof. I had a friend I was teaching to ride front flip it, I got ran off the road one time and threw it down at about 40, and took it off-road a bunch, yet it always ran like a champ and took only oil changes new plastics to make brand new. Here's a pic of what it looked like right before I sold it after all those wrecks and abuse.

[​IMG]

7. Mar 7, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    black '11 TRD Sport access cab
    I was going to type out a helpful response, but this pretty much says it all.

8. Mar 7, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I bought at the time, a 3 year old cruiser thinking the same thing..It spends more time in the shed, then on the road. You really need to think hard about it. Ill take it to work here and there, but its not enough to make it worthwhile.

9. Mar 7, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I had one of these... and I still have one in my house as my GFs and it gets about 70 mpg and you can find used ones for cheap... plus they are low maintenance and very easy to maintain

my old Ninja 250
    IMG_1192_f1c5896faa16b9fdc8fa51f71a5081bdb368a04d.jpg

10. Mar 7, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Aside from what's already been said, *please* take a MSF course if you have not already. This goes for all motorcyclists, no matter how long you've been riding. JMO

11. Mar 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    X2. I took a msf course at 20 years old. I had been riding bikes since I was 5 and I learned new stuff! Pretty fun too. Plus you don't have to take the motorcycle test at the DMV if you take that course.

12. Mar 7, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    Is that Radiant Red, Too ? [​IMG]

CC

13. Mar 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    no but it was close

14. Mar 8, 2011 at 1:49 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    I'll add a third vote to that one. Understand that you're next to invisible to every "cager" (person driving a car or truck) out there, and there will be times you'll feel like a target. The safety course WILL help you deal with that, along with helping you enjoy the bike more. And do a lot of research, including test rides if available, on every type of bike.
    Do not buy a new bike. When one rolls out the door it loses up to 30% of its initial value- a hard pill to swallow when the buyer suddenly finds him/herself "too busy to ride" or afraid to ride, and winds up selling it a year later with 500 miles on the clock.
    Gas mileage is one thing- my Victory Vision was averaging 43 MPG in mixed driving, even at 835 pounds. Sonny Barger, President of the Hell's Angels, calls it the "most comfortable bike I've ridden", while many of his people look down on it as a "Jetson Bike", or simply, not a Harley. Meanwhile it's also one of the safest bikes on the road with more lighting, better balance, better handling, and tip over protection than almost any other ride. My buddy was always impressed the the Vision could out turn and out handle his VRod. But the biggest thing is that motorcycling gets in your blood, and the pleasure of open air travelling far outweighs the inherent risk.

Good luck with your decision, and ride safe.

15. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:00 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Thought about getting a 4cyl car? Or a car in general?

I roughly spend 130+ a week on gas while working.

Recently I thought about getting an older 325i e36 for a DD or Bike.

16. Mar 8, 2011 at 5:04 AM
    rjclemen

rjclemen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner The good looking Blue
    Tint, Bed Cover, HIDs, stubby antenna, double din system, debagded, All Terrain bedside stickers.
    Thanks for all the responses. I have considered taking the MSF course. Also I like the idea of the Ninja 250 Solus. Once again you guys are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again.

17. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    Never buy a motorcycle for the reason to save money on gas!
    Buy a motorcycle for the love, enjoyment and freedom of riding one
    My motorcycle is my therapy, my escape from all the people I hate so bad, my freedom to go where I want and when I want, the feeling of the air on my face, nobody sitting next to you, no radio to listen to, no distractions, looking down and watching the road just inches away rushing under your feet, to me its beautiful, its better than sex.
    The money you save on gas is just an added benifit, but first you have to have the love and the passion to ride

18. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    That's awesome your motorbike gives you so many benefits, not to mention the money saved by not seeing a therapist. But it doesn't matter why a person rides a motorcycle. If they buy one to save money/gas, they will very quickly discover the love, enjoyment and freedom you describe above... while saving money on gas. :)

19. Mar 9, 2011 at 1:17 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I see too many new people buying their first motorcycle for the reason to impress their friends. I have noticed too many beginners with that cocky attitude thinking they are the only ones that own a motorcycle, that they are the pro rider, they show off, they pretend they are a tough guy and so on.
    When I ride with other motorcycles I quickly find out that I am a better rider than anybody else. It drives me crazy that a beginner buys a 1400cc crotch rocket or a top HD touring bike and they think they are an expert rider. When they own bikes like that as their first bike you know they bought the bike for the wrong reasons, they just own the bike to show off and to impress other people, they don't have that passion and love of riding a motorcycle.
    I also have a serious problem of some beginner making fun of and cutting down the bike I ride, I have to walk away from them to control my temper cause I want to hurt them really bad!
    I have more respect with a rider that owns a smaller, boring, not exciting type of bike

btw: I currently own a Yamaha Tmax, its a scooter with a crotch rocket engine, I LOVE it and I don't care what anybody says or thinks about it, I own it to impress me, not everybody else! In the past I have owned 600cc crotch rockets and all types of cruiser bikes, but I currently love my scooter, my dream bike is the Suzuki V Strom 1000, I want it as a cross country touring bike to ride with guys that own Honda Gold Wings, I might get my V Strom this spring, if I can find one.

20. Mar 9, 2011 at 3:57 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    One question that hasn't been asked yet is what type of commute do you have. If it's 50 miles on the interstate, a smaller bike is going to wear on you and you won't want to ride it as often, there by reducing the savings. Also, I rebuild old Hondas (70s SOHCs) and you can get them for pretty cheap, they still get good gas mileage, and are fun. You'd have to enjoy tinkering with them but you'd spend a fraction of what you would on a new bike. Just a thought. Personally, if you don't have a long highway ride, the ninja or rebel 250 are excellent choices for gas savings are are actually really fun to ride. No need to scratch your chest and break out the ruler with the liter bike squids if you're not hitting the track.

Products Discussed in

To Top