1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Before you bought your bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by KodiakToyTRD, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
  2. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    El Tano

El Tano i am the one who knocks

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
    Corvette homelink FRONT: 5100 Blinstein set at 0 Procomp 3" leveling kit Allpro UCA’s. REAR: Icon Multi Rate RXT Leaf Pack 5100 Blinstein. 17x9 kMC wheels 0 BS 285/70 17 Wildpeak A/T4W C range Amp research steps. and a bunch of TSB's
    Wear gear, drive safe and be aware of your surroundings, I don't know the threats on you area, here in LA are soccer moms in big suburbans, and just plain stupid people not paying attention on the road. At a light, never stop in the center of your line, always in between lines, the amount of riders that get hit from behind at a stop light is amaizing.
    I hope it helps

Good luck.

3. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    Wear gear no matter what. Even if its 100*. Rather sweat than bleed. And don't get something out of your riding skill. Try to avoid high traffic areas. Keep racing for on a track. And don't do tricks! Just enjoy the ride

4. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Yes it does. I get irritated by the bikers that pull up so close behind me I can't even see their front tire. I always think, yo if you get hit, you're going under or into the bed of my truck. Also the Coast Guard requires its members to wear high viz gear, I won't be active when I move to CO but I will still wear high viz gear! I think most of the threats in CO are larger lifted super duty type trucks and speeding people, tail gaters too...there are a lot of bikes out in the summer though, more cruisers then sport style bikes if I recall right.

5. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    +1.... dont have that mentality that you are a biker you always have right of way... share the road, keep your eyes peeled and your mind on safety.

6. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Thats my plan...and definitely not racing any time soon. I'd rather race cars :D. I don't see the problem taking a change of clothes in a small bag with you and wearing gear. I see some guys riding with no shirts on and a helmet...a helmet doesn't protect your ass when you go sliding like some of the above shown video!

7. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    What bike are you getting?

8. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Thinking something smaller, between 250 and 450. More along the lines of a sport bike more then a cruiser. Something fun, easy to maintain, and something I can handle.

Ninja 250 or CBR250 stand out right now as most possible choices.

9. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    you are going to get bored with those very quickly. at least get the ninja 500

10. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I saw a guy on a bike almost get taken out by some moron in a corolla yesterday on the freeway. I thought for sure I was going to see the dude die but the moron noticed he/she was merging right into the biker (pinning him against the wall) and corrected. So yeah, its definitely the retards that do not deserve drivers licenses that you need to worry about.

11. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Haha, you're prolly right! Not that expensive either....hmm good suggestion

12. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    I know I'm right, I had the ninja 250 as my first bike. It was great for that first summer but I upgraded to the CBR 600 the very next summer.

13. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Frankly, I'm glad my rossi skinned "08" R1 got stolen when it did.
    I looooved riding with my buddy's and we are all head to toe full on gear but it being stolen helped me get the house of my dreams.

Gear up man. Whether it's 50 or 150 degs, please gear up.

14. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I've thought about the 600 just not sure if I want that much for a first bike...

15. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    I'm not afraid of dumping my bike, I'm afraid of being run into/over by some dumb driver not paying attention. Riding a motorcycle is the most aware that I ever am.

16. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    For me personally gear is part of the bike. Obviously I have never owned one but in considering it for the past few years, gear has always been second on the list below the bike. Its bike, then gear. Aesthetically speaking, I'd rather have gear that matches, if you have a yellow bike, get yellow and black gear. Same goes for red, blue, etc.

17. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    The ninja 500 would be a good bike for you to start on. It has more power than the 250 to get you out of situations if need arise. It will last you a few years before you'd upgrade.

If you move to the denver area and get a bike, let me know and we can ride.

18. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I'll be north in the FoCo area, but definitely let you know.

19. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Agreed.
    I had a full leather white dianeese with my "98" Buell White lightning and a blue upper and lower leathers for my R1.
    However I'm not opposed to wearing whatever, as long as I know i'm covered.
    The thing that always,ALWAYS scared me most of all was getting slammed from behind from someone texting or talking on the phone.
    There have been atleast 5 deaths in the last year from college girls rearending motorcyclists texting or talking.
    I've ridden motorcycles since I got my trail 70 honda back in the mid 70's. I love them. I love the feeling and freedom. But it's just to crazy out there and for someone who thought they wouldn't ever see the age of 21 now at 43 It's just not that important to me to have another bike.

20. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    And actually I have a buddy that got creamed on a busa last year around july and he just settled for enough at 44 yrs old he can retire if that tells you the extent of his injuries. Messed him up pretty bad.

Products Discussed in

To Top