My 2006 Yamaha FZ1 has about 30,000mi on it, so it was time to do a major servicing. Over the last few weeks I tore my bike apart and did it all I got the bike back together this past weekend and it runs like buttered tits!
For the maintenance I did;
-Fork rebuild at Traxxion Dynamics
-Front and rear wheel bearing replacement
-Clutch/throttle cable replacement
-Spark plug replacement
-Brake fluid flush
-Air filter cleaning
I'll finish it up with an oil change and brake pad replacement.
Here's some pics to share;
Day 1; Bike up on stands, front/rear wheels off.
Day 2; Fenders, cowlings, gas tank, airbox, forks off.
Underside of the gas tank Once you work on a bike a while all this isn't too bad.
Forks shipped off to Traxxion Dynamics for a rebuild. I had plans to do it myself but with warm weather creeping up on me, I decided to ship them off and have it done while I focused on the valve adjustment.
Spark plugs, ignition coils, and valve cover off. This is a 20-valve motor. 3 intake and 2 exhaust valves per cylinder. Intake is on the upper side, exhaust on the bottom, where the headers are.
Throttle bodies removed to access the intake valves.
End of day 4; Replaced the front and rear wheel bearings, replaced clutch/throttle cables.
I measured valve clearances and 8 intake and 2 exhaust valve clearances were out of spec...had to remove the camshafts to adjust clearances. I zip tied the cam gears to the chain so I wouldn't lose timing.
Intake camshaft off. The valve buckets are the round discs. The valve shim is right under the bucket.
Intake camshaft and retainers.
Valve bucket on the left and valve shim on the right. The shims are available in 0.05mm increments and swapping shims is how the clearance is adjusted. I used the micrometer to measure the shims that came off the bike. The thickness is printed on the shim but I wanted to make sure that the shim hadn't worn down while it was in the bike.
Exhaust camshaft out.
Exhaust camshaft and retainers.
My worksheet for the valve clearances
This is the crankshaft sprocket. The T mark on the left side of the sprocket has to line up with a mark on the case with cylinder #1 at top dead center. When its lined up, the marks on the intake and exhaust camshafts will line up with the marks on the retainers. When I put everything back together, the timing was off. The cam chain had slipped by one tooth on the crankshaft sprocket when I removed the chain tensioner and cam gears. It took me a little while to figure this out.
Proof that I got her back together