LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Heavyweight Bikes and Tacoma Tailgates

Old 04-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
harlycarly is on a distinguished road
harlycarly's Tacoma Gallery
Heavyweight Bikes and Tacoma Tailgates

I've got a new Tacoma with the "plastic" tailgate, which the dealer assured me I could pound with a sledgehammer. Don't see the need for that, but am wondering whether or not it could hold the weight of a heavyweight, full dress cruiser. I already realize that I have to do the D-rings in the bed mod for proper tie down points, but seeing a young kid hauling a snowmobile in the back of his newer Tacoma this year freaked me out. The whole gate was nearly u-shaped from the weight.

I am thinking of maybe cutting some 3/4 inch plywood so it would cover the entire tailgate and provide extra support while the bike was on it. Could slip it in and out of the bed as needed.

Any solutions to this issue? Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I believe after 2008 the tailgates were reinforced, so you should be golden if it feels ok doing it. Also check these out, http://jpmetalfab.com/products.html for the tie down points
Old 04-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a solution for you...not sure of the cost or skill behind it though

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-project.html
Old 04-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
trdchic is on a distinguished road
Name: Wouldn't you like to know!
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
Now I'm worried...I have an '07 and put my 700 in it. What exactly is a heavyweight bike?? I never even considered bending the tailgate...

Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
harlycarly is on a distinguished road
harlycarly's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies thus far. Maybe I'm worrying too much, but I would hate like hell to do to my tailgate what the guys with the snowmobile did to theirs.

By heavyweight bike, I guess I mean a large displacement tourer. In my case, specifically, a full dress HD Electraglide. The bike is about 8 feet long, so it would be actually resting on the tailgate itself after it got strapped down.

My Tacoma is a 2011. No issue with the 2000 Tundra I owned previously. I own a couple of other bikes as well, but the Electraglide weighs the most.

The Metal fab corner mounts look interesting, but again I'm not talking about a dirt bike here. Will try to find out what they are rated for.

Your ideas and replies are appreciated.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
didnt someone over at ttora laser cut a tailgate cover
Old 05-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdchic View Post
Now I'm worried...I have an '07 and put my 700 in it. What exactly is a heavyweight bike?? I never even considered bending the tailgate...

That has nothing to do with putting a heavy motorcycle in a truck.
Its psi that you've got to look at.

Toyota does not rate the tailgate for load and recommends taking it off for loading. If your bike will fit, just do that. If it's too long, put ramps on tailgate. Plenty of anecdotes of it being just fine. But considering the cost of failure. Worth taking every precaution.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
I just realized i have a bow in my tailgate from constantly having 2 dirtibikes in the back. Mines an 05 though... pre reinforced... the bikes are both 250f's. You cant tell when its shut but when you drop the tailgate down you can see where it bends in the center.

EDIT: im just gonna take the back piece off and throw a peice of metal back there to try and make it alittle stronger. Bc i plan on throwing a cruiser back there soon.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you search a little, I posted a CAD image of the dimensions for the tailgate reinforcement I did on my truck a couple years ago, this summer I hope to start selling them though for those who'd rather buy than find a shop to make one for them.
Its out of 1/8" aluminum diamond plate press brake formed to fit the tailgate. I've put several hundred pounds on the gate with no deformation after installing my cover/brace to it. Before installed, I bent the tailgate loading a 400lb brush mower into my truck, but after I've abused it way worse with no effect.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
nother guy just welded in some angle