Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

BMW, can you haggle with them much at all?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
BMW, can you haggle with them much at all?

Was thinking about picking up a BMW 1200gsa. Dealer says "BMW pure pricing" they can't mark it up as part of their agreement with BMW (hawaii they mark up up to 25% on vehicles a lot of the time), and bmw doesn't give them hardly any profit on them to negotiate, so he says. R1200gsa isn't one of those bikes that has competition really, don't know if they can or would move on it.
Just read a review where a guy said that the dealer "helped on the price".

Anyone have experience? Currently searching for invoice prices.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know about the bikes but i know with the cars you can.
but since there is no competition with that one and they say they are already helping it could be tough to get them to move
Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I assume with today's economy,they would be happy making any sales on bikes.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The answer is no. They won't. I'm not saying it won't happen, but like honda, they definitely can't say they're going to. you can get some junk added on, but the sticker is the sticker. They claim they can't move on the price and make a profit at all (in our market anyway) they don't even get paid for assembly and destination charge is the same for mainland as it is for here. Kind of nice for me, I didn't have to dikker to get to sticker price anyway, I just had to accept sticker price.
And I tell you what 22k is a bargain (decked out model) Thing is butter. I can't wait to get it out of break in.

They had a couple incentives, but that's it.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Very, very nice sir.
Congradulations
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Me l've got brains.

Thanks bubba Zanetti...
Now go find johnny the boy, he's stoned..... again... But you'll teach him bubba.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Usually they don't want to move on sticker, but usually work with regular customers...

Howard
Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Me l've got brains.

Quite possibly. I've found on BMW forums that they sometimes DO, but are actually not supposed to be moving the price around. Devalues the bike to bargain hunt and gives dealers a bad name to mark up. "just good business".
Guy said they only sell one or 2 GS adventures a year, they only order 1 or 2 a year. It gets people onto the regular GS, which they sell a few of each year. Get em in the showroom and then sell em an F800 or G650.

Whatever. It's worth every penny.. well "worth"... it's just a vehicle, hard to quibble over a few percent at that price. If ya got it , spend it.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad you don't live on the mainland. I'm selling mine.

As far as "dealing" goes, not usually on the bike. But there are many ways to deal. I got a BMW Zumo 550, a giant ass tank bag and the first service with the bike. I don't know what the margin is on a BMW these days but I don't think it's enough to really bargain.

FWIW, the GS is their best selling model. Ever. Great touring bike. Very capable off-road bike. I don't know if it's that big of a deal for you but here, the ~300 mile range is kinda nice on long trips--especially if you're riding with smaller bikes and gas is a problem. Just belly up to the Exxon Valdez and siphon away...LMAO

Congrats on the new ride.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
Me l've got brains.

EDIT: I said i got sticker price, that's a little wrong, they had a promotion or 2. But not quite a grand off. Managed to get some panniers with lock cylinders on ebay for about 300 off msrp. Used the rebates to buy the "service plan" not usually a fan of such things, but this is a special toy to me and has a very elaborate list of maintenance items, many of which need their computer thing down at the dealer. If I get all the scheduled maintenance done, it'll be roughly a 3000 dollar bill in 3 years, with the plan, I paid a grand.

Yea, I don't know what the range on the GS is, but on the GSA still running it in, which means putting it through some paces, rather than just cruising in 6th all day, I'm getting a bit more than 40 mpg on premium near-gas and the on-board calculator figures that as something like 360 miles. 8.7 gallon premium on the slab back in western US? probably well into the 400 range. I don't know if it's GSA specific, website is a bit vague, but manual says I can put almost any octane in the bike, just a matter of performance and MPG, won't hurt it. Tuned for 91, but will take 87 with "effects regarding power" Also learned that GS no longer means gelande stra(ss)e. Now means gelande sport.

Just got word I'm moving, probably before holloween, probably to Maryland (YUCK!, not just the state/climate, {too hot summers, but super shitty winters} but my likely job there) but only a few more years till pension. Not a great place to ride to work at all.. AT ALL... but good jumping off point for some day rides up and down the coast. Mostly up.
Bought bike on sunday, started thunder storming that night, then got word of maryland the following morning (was looking for a new job kind of, had name out there and ya can't take it back, not really). Been raining all week, riding gear lost it's waterproofedness (fixing that up as we speak). Not a great week, but still put 400 miles on the BMW already.
Turned off the asc and the front wheel will come up with just a steady roll from 1st or second. Leave the asc on and it just goes and goes.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
Me l've got brains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Too bad you don't live on the mainland. I'm selling mine.

FWIW, the GS is their best selling model. Ever.
WHy would you go and do a thing like that?

Yea, the GS i hear is the best selling bike in England. (find it hard to believe over cheap commuters, but many of them, one GS) They only sell something like 10000 GSA a year, if i'm remembering my numbers right, vs something like 100000 GS. GSA isn't really worth it strictly logically speaking. But it's outfitted nicely, has some options I don't believe are available on the GS and would have had to order special if they are. I have just a few farkles in mind, basically improving the crash bars and a couple other guards.
Got to love the look, even if those tires are a waste of good knobbies for me. Giant tank, hand guards, colors, I just had to have the GSA and for only a few percent more.. why not.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I'm selling it cause I don't ride it much. I've been riding mostly dirt/dual sport lately and for that, my 530 is a better choice. Or street, I have a super moto. So, the GSA is on the block.

The GSA has a couple of things not available on the GS. The tank is the most obvious. The luggage is different too. It comes stock with driving lights where the GS does not, a giant windscreen. The bike has higher ground clearance and a different gear ratio.

It's a great bike.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #13
Me l've got brains.

I love me a super moto. Keep trying to find a DRZ. Wife has a 230m ? M? whatever the crf230l in black with sport tires and wheels on it. It's not changed much from the L, and it's tiny, but nothing like laying the thing on its side. can turn the neighborhood into a race course on something that small.

For a while I was playing with other bikes and leaving the KLR sit, but it was my main bike, not to be sold on a whim. The bmw has taken that place. can't imagine ever wanting to upgrade it, but it doesn't mean it won't get a break when the honeymoon is over and I feel like finding a ZRX again.

I'd have em all if I could.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
do you ride it off road? i want a BMW S1000RR
Old 06-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #16
Me l've got brains.

So yea, I ride it off road, such as it is in Hawaii. If the tires were any more on road I'd be shopping an rt.

I've put about 90 miles on my truck since buying this bike.... It's totally awesome.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
sdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nice
sdnicker2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
The answer is no. They won't. I'm not saying it won't happen, but like honda, they definitely can't say they're going to. you can get some junk added on, but the sticker is the sticker. They claim they can't move on the price and make a profit at all (in our market anyway) they don't even get paid for assembly and destination charge is the same for mainland as it is for here. Kind of nice for me, I didn't have to dikker to get to sticker price anyway, I just had to accept sticker price.
And I tell you what 22k is a bargain (decked out model) Thing is butter. I can't wait to get it out of break in.

They had a couple incentives, but that's it.

Awesome! Just AWESOME!! Can't wait to get my Tacoma paid off. I just might get one.
Oh and Congrats. Enjoy.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:46 AM   #18
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
We just worked out a deal on one of those, 2011 R1200GS Adv, got it with 1,500 miles on it and they gave us a nice trade on the K1200R. Try the new dealer in Asheville, NC.

Howard