Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Anyone familiar with Honda XR100?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone familiar with Honda XR100?

I really want to buy a dirt bike for the summer. I don't want anything extremely powerful, just something reliable with a little grunt. I rode a KTM SX85 and really liked the size of it, (i'm a towering 5'4") I just do not want a two stroke. One of my friends recommended an XR100. I've looked around on eBay and CL and could probably get one for less than $1000 (the cheaper the better as far as i'm concerned).

What do you guys think?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever rode a 2 stroke 50? cut that power in half and you have an xr100. That sx85 isn't even in the same league power wise (the only comparable 4 stroke to a racing 85 2 stroke is honda's CRF150R.

That being said, they are extremely reliable.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
thebikeguy is on a distinguished road

thebikeguy's Tacoma Gallery
never rode an XR..but 2 strokes the way to go!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
thebikeguy is on a distinguished road

thebikeguy's Tacoma Gallery
..steve o 77 nailed it
Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes, I realize the two strokes are much nastier than the four strokes, I just haven't ever been won over by them. I've ridden Four-wheelers since I was 8, but never got a lot of time on a bike. I'd love to go with a more powerful four stroke but they're too damn tall!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanglingFury View Post
Yes, I realize the two strokes are much nastier than the four strokes, I just haven't ever been won over by them. I've ridden Four-wheelers since I was 8, but never got a lot of time on a bike. I'd love to go with a more powerful four stroke but they're too damn tall!
the CRF150R would be perfect for you then. It's low and pretty powerful. Only thing is its a racing bike so the maintenance is going to be a lot higher than on an XR.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Creeper

I'm looking at the CRF150F and it has the same seat height as the 150R I think. I'd be trail riding anyway, not racing
Old 05-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
"That's what she said..."
Hondarider08 is just really niceHondarider08 is just really niceHondarider08 is just really niceHondarider08 is just really nice

Air Force: Currently ROTC, future fighter pilot.
Name: Justin
Hondarider08's Tacoma Gallery
Look into a CRF150F or a 230 if you're tall enough. they'll be more what you're looking for. XR's are old and out of date. Even though they all have had basically the same motor for ages. Two strokes are fun but harder to ride for a beginner.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
braaap

Quote:
I'm looking at the CRF150F and it has the same seat height as the 150R I think. I'd be trail riding anyway, not racing
best thing to do is try one. for trail riding it will be fine. Just know that the suspension is pretty terrible on those. They're made for slow trail riding which may be just what you're looking for.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
Creeper

hmm, well i'm used to riding an all-out race ready 400ex and a suzuki 450r. I LOVE to jump. I'm a sort of mechanic for a friend of mine that races his 450r. . . It's kinda looking like I might just talk myself into some kind of 85cc-ish two stroke. Better suspension, power, blah blah blah. Back when my friend still raced a 250r Four-wheeler I just got tired of fooling with two strokes. BUT! Anything is possible.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
braaap

Quote:
hmm, well i'm used to riding an all-out race ready 400ex and a suzuki 450r. I LOVE to jump. I'm a sort of mechanic for a friend of mine that races his 450r. . . It's kinda looking like I might just talk myself into some kind of 85cc-ish two stroke. Better suspension, power, blah blah blah. Back when my friend still raced a 250r Four-wheeler I just got tired of fooling with two strokes. BUT! Anything is possible.
Just curious, how tall are you? You might get bored with these small bikes pretty quick.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Have you ever rode a 2 stroke 50? cut that power in half and you have an xr100. That sx85 isn't even in the same league power wise (the only comparable 4 stroke to a racing 85 2 stroke is honda's CRF150R.

That being said, they are extremely reliable.
kinda what he said! i have a CRF150R and it fit good a but small like 4 inches im 5'5 closer to 5'6 and i raced it in '09 a few times. they don't even lest them race 125 2 stokes! b/c they can beat them! i beat my friend on a TT-R230 in a filled on my 150!!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
You're going to want to upgrade after a little while if you get the XR100R. It was the first bike that I learned on and then the next thing you know I was already too big for the bike. This was back when I was about 12 or 13. CRF150F would be your best bet. You're going to want the extra power.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the CRF150R would be perfect for you then. It's low and pretty powerful. Only thing is its a racing bike so the maintenance is going to be a lot higher than on an XR.
yeah maintenance is kinda A pain in the A$$ you have to have valves done like at least 1 time a year!!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
Creeper

Quote:
Just curious, how tall are you? You might get bored with these small bikes pretty quick.
I'm almost 5'4" but, I'm 170lbs of alcohol fueled Irish fury. So, I can handle a powerful bike, I'd just prefer something on the smaller side, a seat height of around 32 inches would be great. I think SX85 is 33 inches and the XR is 32. I really like the CRF150 and would of course put full exhaust and yatta yatta yatta on it. I'd be fine if it was only slightly slower in a straight line than a stock 400ex. I just want something to mess around on with "enough" power on tap.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
SCTacomaCA is on a distinguished road
SCTacomaCA's Tacoma Gallery
A few of my friends ride crf150's and love them. I've ridden them a few times and it's a pretty fun little bike
Old 05-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
kinda what he said! i have a CRF150R and it fit good a but small like 4 inches im 5'5 closer to 5'6 and i raced it in '09 a few times. they don't even lest them race 125 2 stokes! b/c they can beat them! i beat my friend on a TT-R230 in a filled on my 150!!
umm, a 125 2 stroke will absolutely smoke a CRF150R. They typically put the 150R up against 85 2 strokes at all the races I've been to.

Quote:
I'm almost 5'4" but, I'm 170lbs of alcohol fueled Irish fury. So, I can handle a powerful bike, I'd just prefer something on the smaller side, a seat height of around 32 inches would be great. I think SX85 is 33 inches and the XR is 32. I really like the CRF150 and would of course put full exhaust and yatta yatta yatta on it. I'd be fine if it was only slightly slower in a straight line than a stock 400ex. I just want something to mess around on with "enough" power on tap.
Im pretty sure a 400ex will be significantly faster in a straight line than the 150, but it is a bike which is quite different from a quad so it's not like you can just hop on expecting to be an expert lol. I think the 150R will suit your needs perfect.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
Creeper

Quote:
Im pretty sure a 400ex will be significantly faster in a straight line than the 150, but it is a bike which is quite different from a quad so it's not like you can just hop on expecting to be an expert lol. I think the 150R will suit your needs perfect.
i think that you, sir, are correct.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #20
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i would not recommend the xr 100 you will regret it more than anything in your life. if you want a cheaper trail bike get a crf230.

i suggest a crf250r

edit: actually a 150 would be good too. but still the 250 would be a smarter decision