Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Don't buy a Harley Davidson it might weeble wobble and crash

Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #61
kingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotrd647 View Post
I work on bikes for a living, and I HATE loud pipes. Nothing more screams louder "look at me I'm a moron" than that.
Loud pipes save lives.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #62
jamesf0622 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: James
jamesf0622's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are killing me.

I have an '07 Softail. Almost 20K. Never had an issue. Had the speedo pegged on more than one occasion. No oil leaks. No wobble.

It's a cruiser - most of the time I spend doing normal speeds. It's faster than a car, but slow for a motorcycle. That's why I also own an '08 Yamaha FZ1. It's like comparing an old '57 Chevy to a new vette. There is no comparison in the speed and handling.

I don't dress like a pirate or a power ranger. I can't stand the people that do. And in all fairness, I live near a busy road and the bikes that I usually hear the most are sport bikes.

I also have an '03 Kawasaki KDX220 for the dirt.

If and when I get another bike it'll probably be a BMW S1000RR.

I guess my point is I don't really understand all the harley bashing. Some people buy GM, some people buy toyotas. Some poeple buy Harley, some people buy yamahas. Some people, like myself, have both. Who cares? It's all preference.

Now I'm going back to the wheels and tires section to get more ideas!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #63
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a speed wobble on any bike if something is awry.....
I was riding my dads G650 and he has the knobby tires that BMW puts on their enduro bikes, when I hit 95mph the bars started slapping back and forth. Definitely the scariest thing to happen to me on a bike! I let off the throttle and it stopped after I slowed down some. Oh, and I was in shorts and a T shirt haha
Old 06-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #64
Resident "dude"
tacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
tacotrd647's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Sure, there are lots of bikes I would take. But man, the HD is really nice to ride on long trips. And from my experience, loud pipes are only loud when you're not the one on the bike. Believe me, we have an annual biker gathering downtown... F my ears, and don't plan on sleeping much that week either. The only time I really hear my HD is when I'm twisting hard for fun/adrenaline punch, but under normal riding it really doesn't seem loud.

Plus: wow, you guys run 3 HD shops and you hate loud pipes... must be tough.
That's why I work in the metric shop....

Less noise.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #65
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Loud pipes are good. Obnoxious sounding pipes are not!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #66
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTtoolman View Post
Must be a regional thing. Here in the midwest, a vast majority will wave back. When I lived in Las Vegas, rarely would a harley rider wave.
I was born and raised in Omaha, but I didn't own a bike back then. In Vegas, 7 out of 10 riders would give the wave- Harley, Jap or German, no difference, and I was either on a Victory Kingpin or a Vision.
Today, my wife and I did 200 miles on the backroads in Texas, and the wave action came from 9 out of 10.
By the way, I don't think I've seen better riding than the Hill Country outside Austin.

As for the original post, I haven't had the death wobble experience, or even anything that really scared me, on my Victorys. Don't know for sure what it is, but all three of them have been incredibly smooth, powerful, and agile machines (I ride a Cross Roads now). I even scraped the frame on a turn this afternoon, but I knew I wasn't anywhere near the limit of the bike and tires.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #67
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
i'm truly sorry i made this thread.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #70
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
lol could be the funniest video ever made hurry and gt to the east village before the antique shops close wtf!
it is
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #71
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtaco View Post
Loud pipes save lives.
This is so true, as in other motorists can hear you coming and won't swerve into a lane and kill you...
Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #72
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
This is so true, as in other motorists can hear you coming and won't swerve into a lane and kill you...
Come ride in NJ. The noise does make the bikes more noticeable, but the only change in driver behavior is that they'll look you in the eye as they merge into your lane without a blinker.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #73
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ZfaDjxDBs

Ride to pretend, pretend to ride.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #74
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Or you can ride defensively and not sit in people's blind spots. Riding a bike is way different than driving a car, always assume the other drivers are retards and cannot see you.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #75
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Come ride in NJ. The noise does make the bikes more noticeable, but the only change in driver behavior is that they'll look you in the eye as they merge into your lane without a blinker.
Hahah no thanks, hsve already had one to many idiots almost hit me. You know what, I'm that moron on "that *explitive deleted* jap bike" doing 80+ weaving the freeway, because I got tired of doing anywhere close to the speed limit and constantly having to watch everywhere for some dumbass doing 80+ to swerve right into me. Oh and I think its hilarious when some Harley guy makes fun of my Triumph and says to get a real bike and those jap bikes are POSs
Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #76
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
Oh and I think its hilarious when some Harley guy makes fun of my Triumph and says to get a real bike and those jap bikes are POSs
I enjoy parking my Triumph next to the big Harley dressers. The size comparison is amusing.

I still have a Harley but it's going up for sale in the coming weeks. I've only ridden it once since I bought the Triumph back in 2005.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #77
bobg03 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Retired Chauffer
bobg03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtaco View Post
Loud pipes save lives.

FAIL....

For the record, I like loud pipes but that statement is not true.

Some local PD's here in the NE have taken to decible metering to quiet their local areas...Narragansett and Newport RI, Upper NY for a few.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #78
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Or you can ride defensively and not sit in people's blind spots. Riding a bike is way different than driving a car, always assume the other drivers are retards and cannot see you.
x2, great riding advice right there!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #79
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Hahah, I love my Triumph. I had an 0-5 in the US Navy tell me "In California, You have to be the most aggressive driver out there, on a bike, or you're gonna be one giant road rash". (he was a rider ) Its soooo true, you can't just expect people to see you and follow the rules of the road. I expect every car to suddenly swerve in front of me without a blinker and slam on their brakes. So I give every car a pretty wide berth and get past them as quickly as possible. WHo cares if it scares them when i do that and they end up flipping their car because they swerved into the median??
Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #80

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
California's unique in that most states don't allow lane splitting. I imagine most drivers don't know the law allows it in that state and just get pissed because they're stuck in traffic and the bikes can get by.