Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Wanting a dual sport bike: What to get?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
RacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Adamo
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
Wanting a dual sport bike: What to get?

New to the supermoto and dual sport scene, but looking to trade my 09 R6

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2462918340.html

for something a little more fun, haha...

Who knows about these bikes??? What should I be looking for?

I like Hondas, had a Cr125 back in the day, rode a cr250 a lot, etc. Too bad toyota doesnt make bikes, haha...

Thanks fellas!

Adamo

should this question be in here or another forum? couldnt decide
Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
RacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
nada???
Old 07-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Army:
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
well why? haha... i know whats out there, but wondering which one i should pick and why?
Adamo
and thanks for the vote!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Army:
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rubi View Post
Do you like maintenance?

07 KTM 525 exc.
why do I need to like maintenance? Because the KTM? or just in general Supermotos require more maintenance? I dont mind the usual oil changes and what not, but not excited about rebuilding any engines... is that what I'd be looking at?

What bikes are solid? Any require less maintenance?

Opinions on this bad boy???
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...467040600.html

He is up to trade my 09 R6 for his, I'd take off the rear sets, maybe the headlights, the K&N, before the trade though... make a few hundred sheckles extra...
My bike:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2462918340.html

What do you guys think?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Since a supermoto is just a dirt bike with 17" rims maintenance is gonna be high. Oil change every 3 rides or so, valve adjustments every 15 hours, top end rebuild every 90-125 hours. If you like wrenching and upkeep it aint that big of a deal.
Sumo's are a freakin blast to ride! Wheelies, stoopies, stairs, sidewalks, curbs, loading docks, industrial parks, railroad humps, short cuts, cheap to race, tight canyon roads, you get the idea! They do have a few drawbacks though, maintenance, 2x4 seat, not highway friendly, small gas tank and they will cause you to do stupid things! There ain't nothing more satisfying than coming up to a tight corner pretty hot, on the brakes hard, slide up on the tank, drop a couple gears, slip the clutch, and "backing it in" the corner!
With you living in California ur limited to what you can get easily. Suzuki makes a drz400sm and yamaha sells a wr250x, both are factory street legal Sumo's. Both are a bit under powered and the drz is a bit heavy. But both do have a lot of aftermarket support. And they both have easy maintenance schedules. KTM makes a couple big bore Sumo's too, they arnt as nimble as the smaller ones are though. You can build your own if you can get a street legal dirt bike. These have more power but require the heavy maintenance. KTM sells street legal bikes since 07, the exc.
www.supermotojunkie.com <-- good info
www.motostrano.com <--- place to shop for parts
Old 07-02-2011, 05:21 AM   #9
TieDie
Tiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the rough

Tiedie's Tacoma Gallery
Try BMW

BMW makes a GS in 1200 and I think smaller but you will pay for what you get. I personaly have a 84 BMW r65ls and get a steady 46 mpg.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #10
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/p
danman0 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
danman0's Tacoma Gallery
I ride a 2003 Sherpa, Kawasaki,250cc. Not very fast but if you point it up a mountain and can hang on....it will drag you bout anywhere. peryy much a air-cooled electric start KLR
Old 07-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #11
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
like daily maintenance?

i ride i wrench.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sheppy
Sheppymach's Tacoma Gallery
Suzuki DR 650. super dependable, very low maintance. I have mine for 4 years, Oil, plugs & tires. that's it.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #13
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Drz-400 sm
Old 07-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
Look into a wr250r, I have one and its by far the funnest enduro ive ridden. Light 250 with fuel injection and a 6 speed transmission. Yamaha built this bike right off there 250 race bike just some lights and gearing and such. I know two others drz riders who want to switch to a wr. Tge drz has more bottom end but you can not best the light hard revving engine unless you go pay tarded money for a ktm.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #15
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgrednek3006 View Post
Look into a wr250r, I have one and its by far the funnest enduro ive ridden. Light 250 with fuel injection and a 6 speed transmission. Yamaha built this bike right off there 250 race bike just some lights and gearing and such. I know two others drz riders who want to switch to a wr. Tge drz has more bottom end but you can not best the light hard revving engine unless you go pay tarded money for a ktm.
slower than fuck.

but reliable as hell and no maint. involved hardly.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #16
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
pickin your bike depends on what youre lookin to do. the possibilities are endless when it comes to which one.

ktm makes a full line of dual sport bikes that are directed more towards woods and trail riding but have all the aftermarket parts to swap it to a supermoto in little to no time. the only downfall with the ktm is the maintenance. theyre probably the most popular brand out there though.

the suzukis are gutless. plain and simple. overweight and underpowered. you would get bored easily. although they are a good bike for trails and just cruising around.

pretty much what it comes down to is what you wanna do with it and your size. if youre not a big dude, scrap the idea of anything ofver a 450 for woods and single track riding. the dr650, ktm525, klr650, etc. are all too big to be throwin around in the woods. itll wear ya out quick and youll be miserable. im a member of a club that holds a dual sport every year and we had 610 riders this year in one weekend. we see damn near every dual sport there is and hear a lot of pros n cons. just hafta decide the type of riding youll be doing and go from there.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #17
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
slower than fuck.

but reliable as hell and no maint. involved hardly.
your comparing a ktm to this.... thats like comparing a ferrarri to a corvette. my 250 runs pretty damn good for what i need it for, any faster and you should get a crotch rocket. i can take my 250 and ride all the woods i want plus ride at my buddys motocross track then drive home no problem. can you do that on your ktm?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
pickin your bike depends on what youre lookin to do. the possibilities are endless when it comes to which one.

ktm makes a full line of dual sport bikes that are directed more towards woods and trail riding but have all the aftermarket parts to swap it to a supermoto in little to no time. the only downfall with the ktm is the maintenance. theyre probably the most popular brand out there though.

the suzukis are gutless. plain and simple. overweight and underpowered. you would get bored easily. although they are a good bike for trails and just cruising around.

pretty much what it comes down to is what you wanna do with it and your size. if youre not a big dude, scrap the idea of anything ofver a 450 for woods and single track riding. the dr650, ktm525, klr650, etc. are all too big to be throwin around in the woods. itll wear ya out quick and youll be miserable. im a member of a club that holds a dual sport every year and we had 610 riders this year in one weekend. we see damn near every dual sport there is and hear a lot of pros n cons. just hafta decide the type of riding youll be doing and go from there.
like you know anything about dual sports and trials

Old 07-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #19
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
i forgot more than youll ever know SON!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #20
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
i forgot more than youll ever know SON!