Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Beginner Bikes

Old 07-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Beginner Bikes

I'm only 17 but am hoping to get my motorcycle license and a bike when I'm 19. I've only looked around a bit for beginner bikes but I'd like some good advice. I'm interested in a sports bike that's at least decently fast (maybe 650 cc or so, don't know what is a decent cc amount). What do you guys recommend as some good beginner bikes and any beginner tips you got. I've heard good things about Ninja's and they have a Ninja 650 (if anyone has this one, let me know any good/bad feedback on it).

Thanks for any help,
Matt
Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
cbr 600
Edit: Go either honda or a yamaha R1 CBR's are my favorite though
Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Ive owned 3 gsxr 600, zx6,r6. I wouldn't go smaller than a 600. You will out grow any bike you buy in a year. Im not a fan of ninjas.I think they are crap compared to the others.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
Official Flatlander
Gieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gieser's Tacoma Gallery
kawasaki made a 500cc until 09.great bike to learn on. has decent power too. the 650s are great too, more torque in them. if you feel comfortable you could start on a 600cc. quick bike but control your clutch and youll be fine.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
I'm different, in a different way
franzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
franzcars's Tacoma Gallery
how tall/much u weight? have you ever riden a street bike b4? or a dirt bike? 600+ can get you hurt in a hurry. a ninja 250 would b a good first choice, has enough power to get you in trouble going 100+ but not enough to kill you. plus it's very forgiving on the clutch and will handle amazing cause of its weight. then later on you could go to a 600 or even a 1000. also there cheap to fix if you drop 400 for full fairings and they dont lose value it seems
Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
No, I have not ridden any bikes yet but I'm hoping to try and ride my friend's dirt bikes soon to try out shifting/clutch/all that. As for the 250cc, I have heard it's a good beginner's bike but I don't want to outgrow it in a year or so once I get decently experienced riding. I'm 5' 7'' and 165 lbs, so I don't really want a huge bike. What is the Ninja 250 performance like? (Speed, handling, etc)

Thanks,
M
Old 07-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx View Post
how tall/much u weight? have you ever riden a street bike b4? or a dirt bike? 600+ can get you hurt in a hurry. a ninja 250 would b a good first choice, has enough power to get you in trouble going 100+ but not enough to kill you. plus it's very forgiving on the clutch and will handle amazing cause of its weight. then later on you could go to a 600 or even a 1000. also there cheap to fix if you drop 400 for full fairings and they dont lose value it seems
You can get killed on a scooter . Anyone will out grow a 250. I think a 600 is a great first bike and there really isn't a reason to upgrade to a 750 or 1000 unless its for the ego. Your never going to push these bikes to the fullest on the streets. Might be hard to resell a 250 but you can get a great deal on used 600s
Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Solus had a 650 Ninja that he seemed to like pretty well (see thread here... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...nja-650-a.html )

I would stay away from the 600cc 4 cylinder bikes. Nothing wrong with them but the new ones are just too fast for a first bike IMO.

But first and formost, take the motorcycle safety class if you haven't already.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure what type of bike you are wanting, but have you considered a supermoto? Cheaper than most types of bikes, especially if you happen to drop it. Great power to weight ratio, being very light, upright riding position, just fun all around. I've had some of all types of bikes, (my first in 1968) and the tard I have now is the most fun of any bike I've ever owned. But again it depends on your purpose of the bike, fun, commute or a blend of both.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco07 View Post
cbr 600
Edit: Go either honda or a yamaha R1 CBR's are my favorite though
You sir are a fucking retard. Why would you ever tell someone to buy a supersport bike for his first bike? Then the next line ya tell him to buy an R1. You obviously have very little knowledge or history with motorcycles.

Sorry bout that matt. I would say a ninja 650r would be somewhat of a starter bike. Depends on how much experience you have riding motorcycles. There are a lot of options n there's a bike for every skill level

After readin the thread I'm more aware of your situation. First and foremost take the motorcycle safety course. It'll teach you a lot and give you the feel of a bike. The road is a very dangerous place to ride. I've lost 2 friends in the past 2 years. You don't need a 1000cc or even a 600cc inline 4. Start small. A 25p ninja, maybe a dual sport bike even. You can always sell it n upgrade. To jump right on a cbr600 or a gsxr600 is a terrible idea. Always wear gear no matter how hot it is. Id rather sweat like a pig than bleed all over the road
Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
I'm different, in a different way
franzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
franzcars's Tacoma Gallery
have u looked at CL for ninja 250's? they keep their value almost too well. also this guy hasnt ridden a bike EVER so a 600 can get him KILLED. a 250 will be able to get flicked around like a toy almost cause of how light it is. it gets about 60 mpg. they can go about 100 mph so its faster than you Should go, and itt has a really good resale. so ifu hav a bit of a commute say to school/home/work you can use this, then if you want to upgrade you wont lose much money as long as u dont wreck. the 08+ look liek a full size bike so you wont get made fun of. if you were looking at buying a new 8k+ bike just think of how much value it will lose if you drop it.

Edit: or any of the 2 cylender bikes should b good cause there not really fast. still a 250 seems really good
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
TieDie
Tiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the rough

Tiedie's Tacoma Gallery
Take this advise if you want,I have been riding street bikes for over 20 years,and you should take a rider course.With that said a good course will provide you with a bike to trane on then give you a certification that you completed the course to show to the dmv.I think that you should then talk to your instructor on what might be the right size for your first bike they will be able to observe you ability better than anyone.I think from what size you say you are a 600 to 650 is a very good size since that is the size I ride most in the mountains of WNC. 2 miles to the nearest mtn. with lots of twistys.
And yes I do own 3 bikes 1972 moto guzzi 850 El dorado and a 1973 Honda MT250 1984 BMW R65ls this is a great bike all around.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
Machine gun shits

Here is an awesome bike
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...0-sm-sale.html
Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
Yep, that's what I'm thinking too.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
Machine gun shits

You might get in more trouble with a supermoto. I know I would be all over sidewalks peoples lawns and jumping anything on the street like a skateboarder
Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #16

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
You might get in more trouble with a supermoto. I know I would be all over sidewalks peoples lawns and jumping anything on the street like a skateboarder
Well yeah, but that's up to the rider. And you did see the post were I said this is the most fun bike I've ever had (owned all types for 42 years).
Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
honda cbr600 my friend has one and that thing is awesome! he loves it. he started out on an old ninja 250 i think but he said that he would have rather saved the money and gotten the cbr first. just know your on a bike and its totally different from a car and you will learn how to control it
Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #18

Firefighter:
Thanks for the great advice guys. I've been leaning towards 250's ever since I started looking because I have no experience riding whatsoever and really need a good beginner bike. As long as it's decently fast, (I'm looking to ride it for fun more than anything) I wouldn't mind it. Does anyone have feedback on the Ninja 250's performance as far as speed and acceleration compared to the 650? (Obviously it's less but will the 650 kill me once I get on it or the 250 make me pedal like The Flintstones? )
Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
megillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
megillet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to megillet
Quote:
Wrong, Ninja 250 will NOT go 100mph on the street (maybe, on a long, straight track downhill with the wind behind you). My wife and I had one that we just sold. It was basically a big scooter, but it looked like a motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
Solus had a 650 Ninja that he seemed to like pretty well (see thread here... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...nja-650-a.html )

I would stay away from the 600cc 4 cylinder bikes. Nothing wrong with them but the new ones are just too fast for a first bike IMO.

But first and formost, take the motorcycle safety class if you haven't already.
Yes, I agree with all of the above.

Quote:
have u looked at CL for ninja 250's? they keep their value almost too well. also this guy hasnt ridden a bike EVER so a 600 can get him KILLED. a 250 will be able to get flicked around like a toy almost cause of how light it is. it gets about 60 mpg. they can go about 100 mph so its faster than you Should go, and itt has a really good resale. so ifu hav a bit of a commute say to school/home/work you can use this, then if you want to upgrade you wont lose much money as long as u dont wreck. the 08+ look liek a full size bike so you wont get made fun of. if you were looking at buying a new 8k+ bike just think of how much value it will lose if you drop it.

Edit: or any of the 2 cylender bikes should b good cause there not really fast. still a 250 seems really good
A 250 is a great beginner bike, but expect to outgrow it in a year or two. Get a 600, and expect to wreck it in the first year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Thanks for the great advice guys. I've been leaning towards 250's ever since I started looking because I have no experience riding whatsoever and really need a good beginner bike. As long as it's decently fast, (I'm looking to ride it for fun more than anything) I wouldn't mind it. Does anyone have feedback on the Ninja 250's performance as far as speed and acceleration compared to the 650? (Obviously it's less but will the 650 kill me once I get on it or the 250 make me pedal like The Flintstones? )
With the 250, you might feel like you are pedaling like the Flinstones. I would recommend a used Ninja 500. You can sell it in a year for what you bought it for, it has enough power to be fun and almost keep up with your friends, but not really enough to get you into too much trouble as long as you are somewhat aware of your right wrist.

All of the above experience is from over ten years of riding, about 30 different motorcycles. I've had my share or wrecks (broke my back), and have lost a close friend too. Just be careful, start out slow, and ride like no one sees you and you'll be fine.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #20
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I've ridden dirt bikes for a while but never street bike's I plan on getting a Ninja 650R one day. But here is an awesome site for question's like these: http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/