Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Getting back in the game

Old 08-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Getting back in the game

Hey guys/gals,

Getting back in to the bike game here. Rode for about a year before selling my last bike, just rode again recently and fell in love with it again. I am looking at some of the V Star's and Shadows. Going to get one of them in the 750+ range. Anything these bikes are known for that I should check out before buying used? So far I have my eye on a 2003 Shadow Ace deluxe.

Is there another bike out there that is about the same size that I should take a look at as well?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Start riding dirt!!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
That Shadow ACE is a good bike. I prefer the Spirit models, but they are more sporty than the ACE. Great motor.
If you go with a V-Star, the clutches are typically a little more sensitive. Very little engagement range to slip; it's either off or on.
Not a big deal, just something to get used to.

I'm not a cruiser guy but used to work at a Honda/Yamaha/Ducati shop, so I'm pretty familiar with them.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Start riding dirt!!
Im not a big dirt guy. Especially after my cousin damn near died racing. I am getting this mainly to commute and save some $$$ instead of filling up $40 every week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horwitzs View Post
That Shadow ACE is a good bike. I prefer the Spirit models, but they are more sporty than the ACE. Great motor.
If you go with a V-Star, the clutches are typically a little more sensitive. Very little engagement range to slip; it's either off or on.
Not a big deal, just something to get used to.

I'm not a cruiser guy but used to work at a Honda/Yamaha/Ducati shop, so I'm pretty familiar with them.
Awesome! Thanks man! I wouldn't be opposed to the Spirit if I found one for a decent price. I will most likely be doing some trips on this bike so having something a little bigger and "comfy" is what I am going to keep in mind.

Is there any way to adjust the V-Star clutches at all to allow for a little more slip?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah I hear yah. Dirt is pretty crazy and dangerous.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #6

Firefighter:
Quote:
Yeah I hear yah. Dirt is pretty crazy and dangerous.
yeah it is. My cousin used to race dirt for a long ass time till he got clipped up front and came down so hard his helmet split. He ended up having to relearn everything he was taught. Never been the same since. Definitely makes you have respect for the sport thats for sure
Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
yeah it is. My cousin used to race dirt for a long ass time till he got clipped up front and came down so hard his helmet split. He ended up having to relearn everything he was taught. Never been the same since. Definitely makes you have respect for the sport thats for sure
Sorry to hear about that. Riding in general is all dangerous I guess you can say whether its dirt or street.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #8

Firefighter:
Quote:
Sorry to hear about that. Riding in general is all dangerous I guess you can say whether its dirt or street.
yeah very true. Gotta keep your eyes out for everything. Be one step ahead of the drivers around you too.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
yeah very true. Gotta keep your eyes out for everything. Be one step ahead of the drivers around you too.
Copy that.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
sportsters
Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808matt View Post
sportsters
Not nearly as comfortable as the bikes the OP is looking at and it's a Harley so they're naturally overpriced...
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
got my 2000 1200 for $3500. not overpriced imo and i have no problem riding mine for hours. well compared to the r6 i rode for 2 years its confy as hell
Old 08-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
got my 2000 1200 for $3500. not overpriced imo and i have no problem riding mine for hours. well compared to the r6 i rode for 2 years its confy as hell
How many miles on it, that's actually not too bad? I didn't like the Sportster at all. When the engine was off, just sitting on it was nice and comfy but once they're running that f-er would vibrate!

I like my sport bikes
Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #14
vinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vinnyvavoom's Tacoma Gallery
The Honda VTX is a great cruiser. They come in three flavors as well so they generally can suit anyone. Only thing is the smallest size they come is 1300. This however should not steer you away as you would be able to ride this for a long time before you started looking for more power. Most people who get something in the 750 range either end up leaving it in the garage or looking to upgrade in a year or two.

If you want to stay small, take a look at the BMW F800ST. This is torquey bike that fits between the sport and cruiser class. They are still new to the market, I believe 2007 was the first year. If you are looking for a cheap ride, this may not be right. I ride Touring bike, but this will be my secondary bike once I have another garage. Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...item564561947c
Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #15
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
How many miles on it, that's actually not too bad? I didn't like the Sportster at all. When the engine was off, just sitting on it was nice and comfy but once they're running that f-er would vibrate!

I like my sport bikes
15k. i never thought i'de own a HD but it was cheap and good looking enough and sportsters pretty much have grown on me.

check on the 2nd gen yamaha VMAX. one sexy bike imo.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #16

Firefighter:
Quote:
sportsters
yeah I am not a big HD fan. Rode a sportster once and didn't like it at all. Plus those things are expensive and from what I hear, a pita to work on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyvavoom View Post
The Honda VTX is a great cruiser. They come in three flavors as well so they generally can suit anyone. Only thing is the smallest size they come is 1300. This however should not steer you away as you would be able to ride this for a long time before you started looking for more power. Most people who get something in the 750 range either end up leaving it in the garage or looking to upgrade in a year or two.

If you want to stay small, take a look at the BMW F800ST. This is torquey bike that fits between the sport and cruiser class. They are still new to the market, I believe 2007 was the first year. If you are looking for a cheap ride, this may not be right. I ride Touring bike, but this will be my secondary bike once I have another garage. Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...item564561947c
thanks! I will check those out. I do like the VLX line. 1300 isn't bad for me at all. The Harley Lowrider I rode in FL was a 1500 and didn't have any issues. If anything, I like having that power there if I need to get out of a situation.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is there any way to adjust the V-Star clutches at all to allow for a little more slip?
an inherent trait with hydraulic clutches which I assume the V-Star has. If a cable clutch conversion is available then that would offer a better feel.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
On the V-star you can adjust the lever so it will engage closer or further from the bar, but it doesn't change the behavior of how it engages.

The VTXs are cool too, but the 1300 has carbs while the 1800 has EFI, unless that changed in the last few years.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #19
gap2000 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
gap2000's Tacoma Gallery
You need to get a 1800VTX. It will make you day.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #20

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
an inherent trait with hydraulic clutches which I assume the V-Star has. If a cable clutch conversion is available then that would offer a better feel.
That was another thing i didn't like too much about my shadow I had. It had the hydraulic clutch which was a pita to adjust or work on. I think there was a small leak in the line letting air in so the clutch wouldn't disengage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horwitzs View Post
On the V-star you can adjust the lever so it will engage closer or further from the bar, but it doesn't change the behavior of how it engages.

The VTXs are cool too, but the 1300 has carbs while the 1800 has EFI, unless that changed in the last few years.
Thanks for the info. I am surprised the 1300 has carbs for that big of a displacement. I have some searching to do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2000 View Post
You need to get a 1800VTX. It will make you day.
Having that 1800 cc engine between my legs would be nice . How heavy are those VTX's? Both 1300 and 1800? I am still in the learning phase of riding so I don't want to get too big and screwing up somewhere.