Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Need help making a decision...

Old 09-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
Need help making a decision...

I'm looking to get a bike within the next two years and am torn between a cruiser and a crotch rocket.

I have no prior motorcycle riding experience but I am planning to start learning within the next year. I did though grow up riding dirt bikes on the weekends on some trials and the road.

I was planning on getting a Ninja 250 for my first bike for: 1. the small engine = good beginner bike and 2. the gas mileage; but I have learned recently that a cruiser is a better bike to learn on because your body isn't leaning as far forward as on a Ninja. Also, insurance is cheaper with a cruiser than with a crotch rocket? (have yet to look up rates for bikes)

Since I was planning on getting a Ninja, I have no knowledge of cruisers and was wondering if some of ya'll can provide some input on any or all of the above criteria. The help is appreciated!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Cruiser.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
I tend to agree with whippersnapper, although any good 250 will make an excellent beginner bike. What do you see yourself riding in a few years... a cruiser or sportbike? I think you will find with a cruiser a bit more at ease transitioning from driving to riding (IMO) but if you envision yourself riding a sportbike, go with a 250 sportbike as your first ride. There are so many options nowadays. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
honestly idk what i can envision myself riding. i'm still in college so i want to learn on something easy and something that wont break the bank. as soon as i get a job when i graduate, that's when i'll start considering a permanent bike purchase
Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
ZRX1040 is on a distinguished road
ZRX1040's Tacoma Gallery
Find yourself a 99-02 Suzuki SV650. Not SV650-S. it's a nice "standard". Not a cruiser, not a sportbike. Very docile and easy to handle, great performance, great mpg, dang near bullit proof,...And you wont get tired of it in a month like a 250. Wife had one, and a 750, now she has 2 SV's and a big cruiser.

Her '00 SV650 (she has a SV650-S too) Love these things.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a motorcycle safety course in your area you can take?
I would suggest that first.
Even though you have experiance with dirt bikes the course will teach you a lot AND as a bonus they should have a couple different styles of bikes to choose from so you can maybe try out a ninja and a honda rebel or something like that.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
U should get a smaller version of what you will eventually want.. For example if you want a crotch rocket then get the ninja 250. It is a sport bike and will ride like one however you do sit more up right it still handles like a sport bike though. If you want to get a cruiser then get a smaller cc lighter cruiser. Just because you are new to bikes dont think that if you want a sport bike you cant start with a 600.... you will just need self control. I had a friend that had never ridden a motorcycle a day in his life (dirtbikes included) and after a couple hours in a large empty parking lot he had the basics down. Good luck... oh and either way you go i would get used because there are two types of riders.. Those that have been down and those that are going to go down.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SuperwhiteTRD View Post
U should get a smaller version of what you will eventually want.. For example if you want a crotch rocket then get the ninja 250. It is a sport bike and will ride like one however you do sit more up right it still handles like a sport bike though. If you want to get a cruiser then get a smaller cc lighter cruiser. Just because you are new to bikes dont think that if you want a sport bike you cant start with a 600.... you will just need self control. I had a friend that had never ridden a motorcycle a day in his life (dirtbikes included) and after a couple hours in a large empty parking lot he had the basics down. Good luck... oh and either way you go i would get used because there are two types of riders.. Those that have been down and those that are going to go down.
I disagree. Just because you start off on one doesn't mean you can't switch the other. I ride standard/naked bikes but I have no problem riding a cruiser, sport bike, dirt bike, supermoto... whatever.
And as far as starting off on a 600 and just exercising control, I couldn't disagree with you more. Sure there are a few people out there who do this and do just fine, like your friend, good for him and them. But overall I would imagine there are a far greater number of people who go out, get a 600 and wreck or worse. It never hurt anyone to start off on a smaller bike and move up or to take the class.
I not trying to start an e-fight/pissing contest here or anything, I just wanted to offer my $.02.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
I feel so Devo

and just to clarify for the OP, when I say 600 I mean sportbikes like the GSXR600, CBR600, ZX6R and so on... The SV650 like ZRX1040 suggested would be a great first bike.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
djmatt8787 is on a distinguished road
Navy: MM3 NUKE
djmatt8787's Tacoma Gallery
this may be a little late, hahaha but i ride a shadow 750 ACE. it fits good in my trd off-road short bed. and it is WAY more comfortable for long rides than a sport bike. i have ridden a few of my friends bikes and don't particularly like crotch rockets, but that's just my preference.. my shadow i have done rides of up to 1,000 miles at a time without pain (just my ass hurt) hope this helps....
Old 09-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
I disagree. Just because you start off on one doesn't mean you can't switch the other. I ride standard/naked bikes but I have no problem riding a cruiser, sport bike, dirt bike, supermoto... whatever.
And as far as starting off on a 600 and just exercising control, I couldn't disagree with you more. Sure there are a few people out there who do this and do just fine, like your friend, good for him and them. But overall I would imagine there are a far greater number of people who go out, get a 600 and wreck or worse. It never hurt anyone to start off on a smaller bike and move up or to take the class.
I not trying to start an e-fight/pissing contest here or anything, I just wanted to offer my $.02.
your right it doesnt mean you cant switch... but if someone is a new rider why would he want to learn on a 800# cruiser then switch to any of the 600 cc sport bikes. they ride completly different. it just makes sense. either route that he takes going to a safety course is an excelent idea. you get knowledge and the insurance discount. i have riddin just about every jap 600 and 1000 and most of the italian super bikes and minus the mv agusta i feel comftorable on all of them... but i dont like ridding big ass cruisers like a full baged harley.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
I feel so Devo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SuperwhiteTRD View Post
your right it doesnt mean you cant switch... but if someone is a new rider why would he want to learn on a 800# cruiser then switch to any of the 600 cc sport bikes. they ride completly different. it just makes sense. either route that he takes going to a safety course is an excelent idea. you get knowledge and the insurance discount. i have riddin just about every jap 600 and 1000 and most of the italian super bikes and minus the mv agusta i feel comftorable on all of them... but i dont like ridding big ass cruisers like a full baged harley.
ok yeah I can see that.
I was just assuming that since the OP was talking of a 250 ninja he would look at a honda rebel for as a cruiser. I wasn't thinking of the 800 pound stuff.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #13

Marines:
yeah i agree the honda rebel would be a good choice.. but since we are speaking of honda they just came out with a sport bike 250 this year. looks like a cbr600rr but just like the ninja has a way skinnier back tire. also i do agree that a lot of people go out and buy 600 and 1000s and wreck them right off the showroom floor. i have seen it a lot and had marines that worked in my shop that did it. you have to be honest with yourself when you are buying a sport bike cause they arent as forgiving as cruisers. i mean the touchiness of the clutch and throttle. one slip and you just 12 o clocked your brand new bike.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
A used sv650 would be an awesome first bike. Get one that's already been dropped a few times because you will drop this bike.