1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help making a decision...

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by saundern, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sep 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    saundern

saundern [OP] Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    I'm looking to get a bike within the next two years and am torn between a cruiser and a crotch rocket.

I have no prior motorcycle riding experience but I am planning to start learning within the next year. I did though grow up riding dirt bikes on the weekends on some trials and the road.

I was planning on getting a Ninja 250 for my first bike for: 1. the small engine = good beginner bike and 2. the gas mileage; but I have learned recently that a cruiser is a better bike to learn on because your body isn't leaning as far forward as on a Ninja. Also, insurance is cheaper with a cruiser than with a crotch rocket? (have yet to look up rates for bikes)

Since I was planning on getting a Ninja, I have no knowledge of cruisers and was wondering if some of ya'll can provide some input on any or all of the above criteria. The help is appreciated!

2. Sep 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I tend to agree with whippersnapper, although any good 250 will make an excellent beginner bike. What do you see yourself riding in a few years... a cruiser or sportbike? I think you will find with a cruiser a bit more at ease transitioning from driving to riding (IMO) but if you envision yourself riding a sportbike, go with a 250 sportbike as your first ride. There are so many options nowadays. Good luck!

3. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    saundern

saundern [OP] Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    honestly idk what i can envision myself riding. i'm still in college so i want to learn on something easy and something that wont break the bank. as soon as i get a job when i graduate, that's when i'll start considering a permanent bike purchase

4. Sep 16, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    ZRX1040

ZRX1040 Member

Member:
    Upper Michigan
    Vehicle:
    SC D-Cab 4X4
    TRD SC/Hdrs/Exh, ARE Cap, Ivan Stewart Tundra wheels/BFG AT's
    Find yourself a 99-02 Suzuki SV650. Not SV650-S. it's a nice "standard". Not a cruiser, not a sportbike. Very docile and easy to handle, great performance, great mpg, dang near bullit proof,...And you wont get tired of it in a month like a 250. Wife had one, and a 750, now she has 2 SV's and a big cruiser.

Her '00 SV650 (she has a SV650-S too) Love these things.

[​IMG]

5. Sep 16, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    Is there a motorcycle safety course in your area you can take?
    I would suggest that first.
    Even though you have experiance with dirt bikes the course will teach you a lot AND as a bonus they should have a couple different styles of bikes to choose from so you can maybe try out a ninja and a honda rebel or something like that.

6. Sep 18, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

11SuperwhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 Super White TRD Off Road w JBL
    AFE cai, MBRP cat back, TonnoPro hard folding cover, Weather Tech's
    U should get a smaller version of what you will eventually want.. For example if you want a crotch rocket then get the ninja 250. It is a sport bike and will ride like one however you do sit more up right it still handles like a sport bike though. If you want to get a cruiser then get a smaller cc lighter cruiser. Just because you are new to bikes dont think that if you want a sport bike you cant start with a 600.... you will just need self control. I had a friend that had never ridden a motorcycle a day in his life (dirtbikes included) and after a couple hours in a large empty parking lot he had the basics down. Good luck... oh and either way you go i would get used because there are two types of riders.. Those that have been down and those that are going to go down.

7. Sep 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    tinker_troy

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    I disagree. Just because you start off on one doesn't mean you can't switch the other. I ride standard/naked bikes but I have no problem riding a cruiser, sport bike, dirt bike, supermoto... whatever.
    And as far as starting off on a 600 and just exercising control, I couldn't disagree with you more. Sure there are a few people out there who do this and do just fine, like your friend, good for him and them. But overall I would imagine there are a far greater number of people who go out, get a 600 and wreck or worse. It never hurt anyone to start off on a smaller bike and move up or to take the class.
    I not trying to start an e-fight/pissing contest here or anything, I just wanted to offer my $.02.

8. Sep 18, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    tinker_troy

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    and just to clarify for the OP, when I say 600 I mean sportbikes like the GSXR600, CBR600, ZX6R and so on... The SV650 like ZRX1040 suggested would be a great first bike.

9. Sep 18, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    djmatt8787

djmatt8787 New Member

Member:
    HOU TX
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off-road stock (for now)
    this may be a little late, hahaha but i ride a shadow 750 ACE. it fits good in my trd off-road short bed. and it is WAY more comfortable for long rides than a sport bike. i have ridden a few of my friends bikes and don't particularly like crotch rockets, but that's just my preference.. my shadow i have done rides of up to 1,000 miles at a time without pain (just my ass hurt) hope this helps....

10. Sep 18, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    your right it doesnt mean you cant switch... but if someone is a new rider why would he want to learn on a 800# cruiser then switch to any of the 600 cc sport bikes. they ride completly different. it just makes sense. either route that he takes going to a safety course is an excelent idea. you get knowledge and the insurance discount. i have riddin just about every jap 600 and 1000 and most of the italian super bikes and minus the mv agusta i feel comftorable on all of them... but i dont like ridding big ass cruisers like a full baged harley.

11. Sep 18, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    tinker_troy

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    ok yeah I can see that.
    I was just assuming that since the OP was talking of a 250 ninja he would look at a honda rebel for as a cruiser. I wasn't thinking of the 800 pound stuff.

12. Sep 18, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    yeah i agree the honda rebel would be a good choice.. but since we are speaking of honda they just came out with a sport bike 250 this year. looks like a cbr600rr but just like the ninja has a way skinnier back tire. also i do agree that a lot of people go out and buy 600 and 1000s and wreck them right off the showroom floor. i have seen it a lot and had marines that worked in my shop that did it. you have to be honest with yourself when you are buying a sport bike cause they arent as forgiving as cruisers. i mean the touchiness of the clutch and throttle. one slip and you just 12 o clocked your brand new bike.

13. Sep 18, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    A used sv650 would be an awesome first bike. Get one that's already been dropped a few times because you will drop this bike.

Products Discussed in

To Top