Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Rattle can paint job?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Rattle can paint job?

I just bought my first bike. It's a '95 CBR600. The paint really isn't the best on it, so I was thinking about just rattle canning it, lol. I'm pretty good when it comes to painting, but I wanted to hear if anyone has had positive experiences with it.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Painted a 3-wheeler flat black a few years back....worked well on the hard plastics but the "flexible" ones would flake & require constant repainting. Looked pretty good considering it cost me about $8.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
post up some pics of the bike so we can determine if it's too nice to rattlecan.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

This is the only pic I have with the fairings on :P

That side actually looks pretty nice. The paint on the tank is oxidized, and faded. The other side is pretty faded too, with some rash on it.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:28 AM   #5
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I say NO!! Just do it right and it done by someone
Old 09-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #6
ArMarine04 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Alan
ArMarine04's Tacoma Gallery
From the picture it doesn't look too bad, but if you do rattle can it flat black is the way to go. It's the most forgiving and hides blemishes, scratches, and what not quite well. My first bike was and old "wanna be stunt bike" I picked up from a friend and it was trashed but ran good. I tried using primer, gloss, and give it a nicer paint job with spray paint but it was too binged up and the gloss paints make all the damage stand out. I would definately recommend flat black if you rattle can it.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
Dafuq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArMarine04 View Post
From the picture it doesn't look too bad, but if you do rattle can it flat black is the way to go. It's the most forgiving and hides blemishes, scratches, and what not quite well. My first bike was and old "wanna be stunt bike" I picked up from a friend and it was trashed but ran good. I tried using primer, gloss, and give it a nicer paint job with spray paint but it was too binged up and the gloss paints make all the damage stand out. I would definately recommend flat black if you rattle can it.
Yeah that's the nice side lol, the other side is really faded, and the tank is oxidized on the top.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried to polish the oxidation out? Especially on red it can get oxidized and look pinkish gray, but sometimes a little elbow grease can get it out nice.

I have seen rattlecan jobs that look really good if you do it right in thin layers, sand in between and top off with clear coat. I am not a fan of flat back like others have suggested above, so although that would be the easiest, I can't suggest that.
The bike really looks nice, so maybe a professional spray job is in order - it will probably be about $300 or more if it's done right.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
Dafuq

$300 sounds too cheap to me lol. It's my first bike so I'm not trying to get a really nice paint job, in case I drop the bike. Hopefully I don't.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
Painted a 3-wheeler flat black a few years back....worked well on the hard plastics but the "flexible" ones would flake & require constant repainting. Looked pretty good considering it cost me about $8.

pics of trike please
Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
Dafuq

Just thought you guys would like to see my product. It's far from perfect, but it is a lot better than the oxidized/faded red paint it had before. This will do for me until I can throw some money down for a really nice paint job.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 1990 CBR that I did that do, I figured, how bad can it be? I took my time with the prep, rattle canned it nice and when it was done it looked GREAT! The problem is, it looked great for a few months then the 'soft' paint started showing every flaw. Any time a bug hit it would embed itself in the paint and god forbid if you spilled a drop of gasoline on it when you refilled it! I rode it through one season, stripped everything down again and repainted it with automotive quality paint. Do it once and do it right