Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Motorcycles

Notices

Should I trade my Hypermotard S for 999S?

View Poll Results: What should I do???
Keep my Hypermotard! 3 33.33%
Trade Hyper for 999s! 5 55.56%
Do something else (Please say what)!!! 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Should I trade my Hypermotard S for 999S?

So I posted my Hypermotard S for sale on Craigslist. This guy called and wants to trade his Black 2004 999S ( 13,500 miles) with Termi full exhaust and a bunch of carbon goodies for my Red 2008 Hypermotard S (7500 miles) that has Ducati racing cams, exhaust, and ecu as well as heated grips, open cam belts, light weight flywheel, and a few other bits.

It would be a straight up trade. I am definatly more of a superbike guy and he is more of a naked bike kinda guy.

What do you guys think???
Old 09-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
The Professional
c0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3rd SFG(A)
c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to c0b2a
For sure dude. Make the trade.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Mtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Mtek's Tacoma Gallery
I had an '08 Hyper S, sold it and got an 848. I would never go back to the Hyper again unless it was an extra bike for city use. Hypers are fun and all, particularly the ease at lofting the front wheel, but I much prefer the planted chassis of a superbike. I also didn't like the wind blast on teh Hyper at anything over 70mph plus. 999s are getting long in the tooth, and they are a love it or hate it style, but I would rather ride one than a Hyper. Everyone is diff though, you may not like it as much, hopefully you can try it out.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
neoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neoflex's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you would prefer and if you feel it is a fair trade as it's a tough call without seeing the bikes but if it were me I would tell the guy to either take a hike or he needs to throw in a grand or two. I know I would much rather the newer Hyper over the older 999S. KBB for an 2004 in good cond. is just a tick over 5Gs which I am sure the Hyper can pull at least 3K more on a private sale. I would sell the Hyper and buy something else that you may prefer rather than settle for a trade because it was the only current offer and than regret a week or two later. Just this guys opinion though.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
The 999 may also drop further in value since the new 1199 superbike is being released this fall, making it 2 generations old.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
I am not so worried about being 2 generations old. I already have plenty of NEWER generation bikes and honestly my favorite bike to ride is my 2002 998. This would bridge the gap between my 998S and my 1198S Corse.

I agree, the hyper is fun around town but is horrible for longer rides. I could never quite get comfortable on the hyper.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
bradw369 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
bradw369's Tacoma Gallery
Trade it!!! Wish I could afford the maintenance on a Ducati. Instead I ride a 09 Busa
Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw369 View Post
Trade it!!! Wish I could afford the maintenance on a Ducati. Instead I ride a 09 Busa
Yea, Duc maint can get a bit expensive. I will agree with that.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
No. Take it in and trade for a Ducati Streetfighter!
Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
neoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neoflex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
I am not so worried about being 2 generations old. I already have plenty of NEWER generation bikes and honestly my favorite bike to ride is my 2002 998. This would bridge the gap between my 998S and my 1198S Corse.

I agree, the hyper is fun around town but is horrible for longer rides. I could never quite get comfortable on the hyper.
Sounds like your mind may already be made.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
No. Take it in and trade for a Ducati Streetfighter!
Not a fan of the streetfighter. I test rode it on Angeles crest when I bought my MV Agusta. Looks cool, just not my style. I am a sport bike guy. Always have been. I have tried various other bikes and types but I always come back to the sport bikes.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
So I went ahead and did the trade. I got there and the bike was amazingly immaculate. It a 2005 999S with Termognini performance exhaust and ECU, OZ lightweight racing wheels, slipper clutch, and some carbon and billet goodies. Plus a full set of sharkskinz race bodywork never used and all of the stock items except rims.

The guy had 4 Ducati monsters in his garage and you could tell he takes great care of them but rides them as well. Full service record in a nice binder, all parts reciepts in the binder, etc. EVERYTHING. He is more of a standard/naked bike kinda guy and I am more of a sport bike kinda guy so it was a good even trade for both of us.

We both went on a test ride for about 30 minutes and pulled back into his drive way grinning and laughing. We looked at each other and were like "Well, I guess thats a done deal then!"

More pics to follow soon.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
Another women to bring me pain, pleasure, joy, and heartbreak. I shall call her BIBIANA: Italian and Spanish form of Roman Latin Viviana, meaning "alive."
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
TurboYota is on a distinguished road
TurboYota's Tacoma Gallery
Nice bike, but I would have kept the motard considering the other toys you already have listed.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
neoflex's Tacoma Gallery
He could always convert the WR.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboYota View Post
Nice bike, but I would have kept the motard considering the other toys you already have listed.
I had a motard before when I lived in Japan. It was a lot of fun and a blast on the go-kart tracks but its just not my style. I love the feel and sound of a well built superbike.

I have had several Japanese superbikes and I think if your riding/track days (especially on a budget) you cant beat them. They handle well, are solid, and are cheap(er) to fix and repair. If you want something absolutly razors edge and surgical get the BMW. But if you want a bike with an amazing personality and pedigree you have to go with the Italian bikes.

None of my italian bikes are perfect, infact some days they downright piss me off but there is just something about the sound and feel of them. They each have little quirks though.

The 998s is a fire breathing beast, pure tourqe off idle and will flip you over on your ass if your not careful. But the chassis and engine when dialed in are amazing especially in the twisties. Plus the design is a thing of beauty. It has its issues as well... It will burn my leg at freeway speed in a blizzard because of the exhaust pipe, it has a wierd starting routine that must be followed when its cold or it wont start, it like to randomly backfire into the airbox(shop and I have investigated and cant find any reason) and it eats batteries like candy.

The 1198s is the refined younger sister. It is a snooty high class model/stripper. It has all the right curves, moves the right way, and knows how to whisper in your ear to shell out more cash. The way she hums between your legs is a thing of beauty but if not treated right and kept on a pedistal she will jump up and bite you. Now, she does have a dirty side and loves to be flogged and rode hard.

The MV F4 312RR is the 998's smoking hot sister. She is born of the same father (same designer as the 916/996/998) and while maybe not as smooth as the 998 has the best rear end in the game and when you stretch her legs they go on for miles. She is the best handling bike straight out of the box I have ever ridden and she keeps asking for more and faster. Now, she overheats at the drop of a hat, is crazy expensive to keep up, and she threatens to blow up at any moment if you dont talk sweet to her and stroke her just right.

The 999s is the second cousin of all of them with a horribly ugly face but a smoking body. So far the transmission and on/off throttle unlike anything I have ever ridden. Its amazing how smooth and surgical the transmission is and the on/off throttle transition is butter smooth. No sudden hit or delay, just smooth power and once it hits midrange it really opens up and is a screamer. Out of the 3 v-twins I would say its the best engine/transmission out of them. Now, it has its quirks as well... On hot days it throws a check engine light that is fixed by opening the fuel fill cap (to much pressure build up), sometimes when turning the bike on it wont recognize that its in neutral (no light, wont crank) and I have to turn the key off and back on. Sometimes it jsut wont crank, no reason, just wont crank so I turn the key off and back on. And the battery is pretty much dead every morning so I need to replace it. Its also the most uncomfortable of the 4 bikes. Longest reach and most uncomfortable seat. The seat I can fix, the reach I will get used to.

Yes I know it sounds like I am describing women with my bikes because I sort of am. Think about it... The shape of them looking from the top resembles a women, a good looking one is a thing of beauty, they know how to seduce you, once you climb on for a ride your in heaven, and if not treated right they will jump up and bite you HARD leaving you broken and in pain but at the end of it all you always come back to her or get a new one and do it all over again. They both cost more and take up more of our time than any one thing should but in reality we dont really mind. If you take good care of her and treat her right she will bring years of smiles to your face...

Sounds like a a bike and a women to me... The only differance is you can turn the bike off and the bike dosent get jelouse if you throw your leg over your neighbors bike. LoL
Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
kogary is on a distinguished road
kogary's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, nice choice! I would have done the same thing. The 749 and 999 styling are incredible (yes, I'm one of those 'Love It' guys).

Have fun with with the new bike!

(and post some nice daytime pics too!!!)

Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kogary View Post
Dude, nice choice! I would have done the same thing. The 749 and 999 styling are incredible (yes, I'm one of those 'Love It' guys).

Have fun with with the new bike!

(and post some nice daytime pics too!!!)

Yea, I will get some up here soon. I want to do a ride and get pics up in the hills just before sunset...

On a side note, my body is protesting the riding position of another superbike. LoL Its been over a year since I really road one of my superbikes (I was in Afghanistan and other places) and my shoulders, hips, wrists, and elbows are reminding me of the pleasurable pain that comes with riding these types of bikes. My body will adjust again over time and repeated abuse. LoL